What's new

Closing UK Office & The Reasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks,

6 months of operating in the UK has been great. We were over there doing some other work and thought, hell, why don't we expand and operate here to offer next day shipping to UK customers. I had the space in the office, I had a clean kitchen unit below (used to be a Greek restaurant) and I took the opportunity. It worked well but now there are several problems facing us in the UK.

The first problem is that we are starting a new Kava project in Ireland for a new kind of Kava product and I will be in Dublin nearly all of the time and will not be in England often enough to fulfill orders there. We need all staff in Dublin for the foreseeable future. It is exciting but it hampers any efforts to expand elsewhere.

The second problem and this is the more pressing one is that there is a new psychoactive substances ban coming into effect in the UK probably this year and probably in the first half of this year. We are not 100% sure what form this ban will be in but Home Office reports suggest that it will probably be a blanket or analog ban. This new law is in response to the rise of Head Shops in the UK. The sale of synthetic Cannabinoids, CNS Stimulants, Dissociatives, CNS Depressants, Hallucinogens etc etc by these shops and the harm it has caused to some has been in the media spotlight for some time now. There is no denying that these substances can be harmful and that people have died from abusing them or mixing them with street drugs though the media and government research groups have exaggerated the figures to such an extent that the media is in a frenzy.
We are afraid that Kava could become a victim of this frenzy. We do not supply Head Shops with Kava but we are aware of a handful of these shops selling Kava and we are worried that Kava could be lumped into the same bag as the synthetics in this upcoming ban. Kava is currently legal in the UK once it has not been imported for use as a food or a medicine. We do not want to see Kava further restricted in the UK through this ban. Kava is a world away from these synthetic compounds in these shops. It is natural, non addictive, beneficial in so many ways and most of all it is harmless when applied correctly. The last thing we want is for the witch hunt to unearth us in England, make a big deal out of it and add Kava to the banned list. We would rather drop the operation there, let things work themselves out and look at the situation again afterwards.

We hope you can see our thinking here. We can easily still ship to the UK from Ireland, it adds only one extra day to the shipping time (2 to 3 working days), it is legal as Kava is not shipped for use in food or as a medicine in the UK and there are never any problems but it removes the presence of a mid size Kava operation from the equation in the hope that it keeps Kava out of the news and out of the not so discerning eyes of those who are putting this law together. I will be in England from the 16th to the 20th of December and will send out as much UK orders from there as possible but those will be the last orders we send from within the UK for the foreseeable future.

Thank you for reading this if you made it this far :)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Your actions are noble, Sir, and I want you to know that I appreciate your strategic move for the sake of legality of kava. That's some honorable stuff right there. Let's put it this way, kavaforums will always have a special place for Global Kava Exports, no matter where you guys move.

D

Deleted User01

Business is business. All Kava vendors have to be leery of government actions that will cost you money. As I have often said, the FDA could put limitations on Kava on a whim and put everyone in the states out of business. Well, everyone who can't prove that Kava is part of their culture. :sneaky: Good luck on your future expansion in Ireland!

Business is business. All Kava vendors have to be leery of government actions that will cost you money. As I have often said, the FDA could put limitations on Kava on a whim and put everyone in the states out of business. Well, everyone who can't prove that Kava is part of their culture. :sneaky: Good luck on your future expansion in Ireland!
We aren't worried about the money mate, we just don't want them uncovering what they could label as a 'massive kava operation' selling 'deadly intoxicating pepper plants' LOL. In actual fact we are just a small operation but they could blow it out of all proportion and throw it in with all the synthetics which the media are going mental about right now.

The support is much appreciated folks. I would like to leave the UK operation run, maybe with a part time staff here but it's not worth the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.