What's new

CO2 Extracts Safe or Not? You Decide.

verticity

I'm interested in things
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava Hey Chris,

Awesome write up bud, glad to hear your sticking by your roots. I think the extract makes a lot of sense on the go, be awesome as a benefit to a day of biking around or tanning at the park in the sun.

I was wondering if you would post a YouTube video describing and showing the process you used so that some of us if we choose could do it ourselves. Maybe through a collective mind we could refine the process.

Best wishes,
Jacob
Making CO2 extract at home isn't really practical because it requires expensive equipment. It is possible to make alcohol extract at home, but I don't recommend that. If you need kava on the go the best thing is just to buy some instant or micronized (if your stomach can tolerate the micronized), or else buy some Gaia capsules, which contain an alcohol extract (there is no alcohol in the capsules, but it is used as the extraction solvent, then removed). Also the Aluball sold by @Kavafied works pretty well; you can use it to make medium grind kava in a shaker bottle.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner

Awesome write up bud, glad to hear your sticking by your roots. I think the extract makes a lot of sense on the go, be awesome as a benefit to a day of biking around or tanning at the park in the sun.

I was wondering if you would post a YouTube video describing and showing the process you used so that some of us if we choose could do it ourselves. Maybe through a collective mind we could refine the process.

Best wishes,
Jacob
I know this has been an "upcoming product" for about 18 years now, but I have a flavored co2 extract on the way. I just did the first run on my extractor since getting it refurbished today. It's running like a well oiled machine, because, well, it is. Hoping to have something for sale soon.

Kanazky

@verticity The machines are not practical for home use, but you can often use dry ice and a mesh bag to create extracts. Though that might just be for a different herb ::awesomesmiles:: haha. Just wondering if perhaps something like that works for kava as well.

Last edited:

schatz

itchin for kava

Best wishes,
Jacob
You can try this method, I made it a couple times and it it is a descent krunk.http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/kava-extracts-and-concentrates-experiences-and-sources.7223/

Kanazky

@schatz ive done that before too not with kava, have to make sure the temp doesn't hit a certain point and cook off the good stuff, also need to make sure you constantly stir. You can freeze it and come back to doing it the next day and spread it out over 2x 3 hour bakes to make stronger stuff (if it works like weed).

verticity

I'm interested in things
@verticity The machines are not practical for home use, but you can often use dry ice and a mesh bag to create extracts. Though that might just be for a different herb ::awesomesmiles:: haha. Just wondering if perhaps that works for kava as well.
I don't think so because it would be hard to control the pressure that way. In other words, sure you can generate CO2 gas from dry ice, but you need a pressure chamber to create supercritical CO2. Here's the phase diagram. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercritical_carbon_dioxide )

super_co2.png

To make supercritical CO2 you would need more than 100 atmospheres of pressure. Perhaps if you put dry ice in a sealed vessel, you could get a pressure greater than 1 bar, but I doubt 100 bars would be possible.

I know sometimes they use propane for that too, but that would obviously be incredibly dangerous. Also it wouldn't work well for kavalactones because KLs are actually semi-polar, probably substantially more polar than..."other things". KLs are more soluble in acetone than hexane, for example. That also implies that normal gas phase CO2, being non-polar, won't work very well.