What's new

Cold or Hot Oil Extractions

Calvincs

Kava Curious
Has anyone every tried to do a Kava cold or hot oil extraction? (See video below for an example)

Curious if anyone has tried it. Since the active components of Kava are in the lipids (oils) of the root tissues, I wonder if a oil extraction could pull much of them out? 

Maybe form a tincture that could be used in another drink or directly under the tong?

Example of cold oil extraction:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/v/e095va7iAX0&version=3&f=videos&app=youtube_gdata](flash video)

Calvincs

Kava Curious
Wow, that looks awesome!

I have some ideas I would like to try, but that looks like a good starting point from which to gain some insights off of!

I want to try coconut oil and a double boiler to keep the temp down, but adding water seems to be a good choice to help in the seperation process.

Maybe use the cold water rinse of both the disk and kava material to get the final solidified materials and remelt it all together..?

Either way, good stuff.  

Wonder how long it last in that form, aka how long before it goes rancid?

Also wonder if using olive oil would prove better results?

Looks like its time to start testing :-D

kl.billbryan

Kava Curious
Hmmm, interesting... I have been thinking about adding a Tbs of some coconut oil in with my next kava soak to try to pull out more kavalactones but never thought of making an extract. I have been making lots of other herbal extracts, tinctures and randoms concoctions lately but they all use alcohol and I prefer not to use kava with alcohol. Anyone ever try adding some coconut oil? I have read of people using olive oil, perhaps I will try it out if nothing else it will make it taste like creamy coconut kava.

Calvincs

Kava Curious
Hey Billbryan,

In terms of using coconut oil for normal drinking extraction, I would shy away.  Try using something like this → NOW Lecithin Granules Non-GMO

I have used coconut oil for normal water extraction and it didn't seem to increase the effects, if anything it made a mess as it doesnt mix well with the water.

Lecithin will however help extract the oils and emulsify them in the water better.

Also, stay away from using alcohol with Kava in anyway shape or form:)

I would also like to try using olive oil or almond oil which is liquid at room temp, and see if that works well.

If so, maybe add some lemon or orange oils.

Just some of my plans.

Good luck, post photos if you try any of these!

kl.billbryan

Kava Curious
Yeah thanks man will not waste the effort trying the coconut oil then. I do have a jug of NOW Lecithin Granules already which I use most of the times. I have not decided whether adding the lecithin increases the potency of my brews compared to when I do not use it, if there is a differences it may be too small but I figure it can't hurt so I do add it most times. I have actually found that eating a greasy pizza or anything with a lot of fat will increase the effects after I have finished drinking.

Something else I have thought about but never tried was adding some lemon/lime to increase the acidity of the water. I know that a lot of things can be extracted in either higher pH or lower pH so perhaps adding some acidity to the water it can pull out more kavalactones. Also there is a lot of talk about freezing herbs in water before extracting the alkaloids. This freezing process allows the cell walls to break down which will lead to more alkaloids on the extraction process. So will freezing the kava first help release more kavalactones? IDK, I will have to try to see but if it can work for getting the goodies out of other plants then surely this could be another possibility.