What's new

Contemporary Pacific and Western perspectives on `awa (Piper methysticum) toxicology

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I thought you all might like to read this very scientific and top notch article, it is the most up to date publication on the things we need to know about kava. It gives us a few answers too. It is in PDF form and it is attached to this post at the bottom. I hope you all enjoy. (y)
Well, it looks like I am having trouble with posting the PDF file, I tried dragging and dropping it and uploading it. I will try some others unless some of you know how to do it. Help please. :arghh:
Aloha.

Chris

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
Not to mention alcohol:
The Epidemiology of Alcoholic Liver Disease
Liver cirrhosis is a major cause of death in the United States (Yoon et al. 2002; Minino et al. 2002). In 2000, it was the 12th leading cause of death, accounting for 1.1 percent of all deaths, with an age–adjusted death rate of 9.6 per 100,000 population.
Note, that's 9.6/100,000 of everyone, not just heavy drinkers. According to this site:
Only 1 in 5 heavy drinkers develops alcoholic hepatitis, and 1 in 4 develops cirrhosis
"Only" 1/4.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Mahalo a nui to Chris, kavadude and everyone who helped get this paper posted! It is good information and offers useful references for further reading.
Still I admit my favorite part is section 6.4

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
It's a very interesting and educational piece, but I also think that it can be a bit misleading. For instance, the authors note that "The pathophysiological effects of kava include muscle degradation, kava dermopathy presented as scaly skin rashes, urticaria, sebotropic eruption, meningism, depression/suicidal tendencies and hepatotoxicity". These are very serious accusations that one would hope would be backed up by credible studies. Unfortunately, the quality of some of the references leaves a lot of be desired. For instance, the claim that kava might result in depression/suicidal tendencies is made by a group of scientists from New Caledonia who observe "association" (but no causality) between regular kava drinking and depression. They do not consider the fact that people suffering from depression might be generally more likely to consume mind-altering substances. Also, few of the quoted studies pay sufficient attention to the issue of kava products' purity, nobility and quality. This is quite bizarre. It seems that many of the kava studies look at the effects of consumption of anything that people will call "kava". It's like studying the effects of alcohol use without paying any attention to whether it's ethanol or methanol, whether it's beer or industrial ethanol and whether it is consumed with caviar or cement. No wonder there are so many inconsistencies and weird results.

I bet that few, if any, of these quoted negative effects could be observed among the users of 100% noble and pure kavas prepared in a traditional way.

In general, a very interesting review, but it would be even better if the authors had more critically examined some of the sources they quote. Many thanks to @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava for sharing it with everybody.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crunked

Proselytizer
I just love studies that draw conclusions from a correlation rather than causation. :banghead:
My favorite is the 'study' that found that men over 40 who did not regularly shave had a higher incidence of heart disease, ergo not shaving increases your risk of a heart attack.
There were two problems with the conclusion: first it showed a correlation and not causation; second, it did not consider other factors. In the case of men in that age group who did not regularly shave there was a large proportion who were single, overweight, did not exercise, had a very poor diet, were depressed, and generally did not look after themselves (e.g. did not regularly clean their teeth). But it was not shaving regularly that gave them heart disease. :facepalm: