What's new

Cure for Restless Leg Syndrome

kavalover

Outsider
Something I've always noticed with kava is its immediate ability to cure the restless leg syndrome I often get at night when I'm trying to unwind and sleep. Has anyone else noticed this effect?

kl.NDG

Kava Enthusiast
makes sense since it inhibits calcium channels. You might want to look at magnesium supplementation along with your ferritin levels as low iron is causal in many cases.

Also, the MAO-B inhibition would increase dopamine which is the target for drugs for RLS, pramipexole for example is a D2 agonist.

kavalover

Outsider
Thanks for the info NDG - I already take calcium. RLS is a huge problem for me, so is sleep paralysis. Kava has combated both of these issues with ease...

kl.NDG

Kava Enthusiast
Just so there is no confusion, calcium should have no effect, calcium channels are a different beast. I didn't clarify very well.

kavalover

Outsider
Understood. If you could educate me some more, what are the main reasons contributing to sleep paralysis? This has been an ongoing problem since I was a little child, and usually ends up in me being unable to break the paralysis and I end up lucid dreaming all night, which sucks, because I don't wake up feeling rested at all as I'm pretty much aware of the fact that I'm asleep the entire time.

Kava has all but eliminated this entirely. Meds like phenibut or other GABA-A affecting drugs, that supposedly are supposed to work for this, have only made it worse.

kl.NDG

Kava Enthusiast
Sorry didn't see the question. If it's actually sleep paralysis where you are awake but still paralyzed it is related to a sleep architecture disorder. Something that reduces REM sleep like an SSRI would be helpful in this case or something that increases delta wave sleep like pregabalin. Benzos and other gaba a agonists have a wonky effect on sleep and can exacerbate stage progression.

kavalover

Outsider
Stinkweed - Yeah, thanks for the advice. I wish I had heeded it earlier when ozzyfan and a few other members warned me to stay away from phenibut. I always considered myself to be a strong minded individual when it came to substances, and I've never had much trouble with addictive substances for the most part. But phenibut... man that withdrawal, that's something else. Not as much physical as emotional, and I have sworn to never go near that stuff again.

NDG - Thanks for the info. I really need to set up an appointment with my local hospital's sleep center. That's expensive but if I can get more answers it would be work it.