What's new

Current Status of the Qualitative (acetone) Test

verticity

I'm interested in things
So is he saying that the coloration is due solely to the "non-identified pigments" which are a marker for FK, or is some of the coloration actually caused by FKs themselves? In other words, theoretically, could the FKs be somehow removed, yet the sample still show the orange color?

K

Kava Steve

What I read from his statement is the pigment is created by high levels of FK or unknown contaminants which means that just because it doesn't contain tudei doesn't mean it is safe, it has been adulterated with something that can be potentially dangerous.

I agree with Deleted User that the test can be trusted because the test reveals true noble unadulterated kava vs something you are playing Russian Roulette by drinking.

verticity

I'm interested in things
What I read from his statement is the pigment is created by high levels of FK or unknown contaminants which means that just because it doesn't contain tudei doesn't mean it is safe, it has been adulterated with something that can be potentially dangerous.

I agree with Deleted User that the test can be trusted because the test reveals true noble unadulterated kava vs something you are playing Russian Roulette by drinking.
The test actually doesn't test for contamination or adulteration, but for chemicals that occur naturally in tudei kava. Meaning a positive test indicates a high likelyhood that the sample is tudei.

K

Kava Steve

we know that it doesn't test for others but as stated "I think that what it is safe to say is that the coloration corresponds to high FK content plus other non-identified pigments, and noble varieties have low FK content.
So yes, for example, everything with a color similar to Isa or Palisi is potentially dangerous."
Dr. Lebot

it corresponds to FK content plus other unidentified pigments so anything with a color similar to Isa or Palisi is potentially dangerous.

If I am incorrect in my statement then he will need to clarify his.

The test actually doesn't test for contamination or adulteration, but for chemicals that occur naturally in tudei kava. Meaning a positive test indicates a high likelyhood that the sample is tudei.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I was just saying that the "unknown pigments" are naturally occurring, they are not a contaminant. They just don't know the molecular structure of them yet (or they may know but have not published it)

Lebot's statement is not very clear, because he does not specify whether it is FK or the "unknown pigments", or both that cause the orange color of tudei in the acetone test. He could mean the orange color is caused by "unknown pigments" which are correlated with high FK levels, or he could mean the orange is caused by both FK and "unknown pigments". I think we will have to wait until he publishes his results on this to get his definitive take.