What's new

Kava Science Deep dive into kava chemotypes

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
This is a long read, but definitely worth it if you are interested in kava chemistry, chemotypes, factors that influence the accuracy of lab analysis, among other things

Wow, I am impressed! This is one of the more comprehensive explanations I have seen, especially from a vendor. It is wonderful to see this level of dedication in educating the average consumer and those of us with a longer background alike.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
"We know that our readers are brilliant people, capable of absorbing every detail"

Haha yeah I am!

Proceeds to immediately google "edification" from the very first paragraph as I've never seen that word before.
One window is always opened to google for this precise scenario ;)

Root & Pestle

Vanuatu Kava Exporter
Kava Vendor
Australian Importer
Wow, I am impressed! This is one of the more comprehensive explanations I have seen, especially from a vendor. It is wonderful to see this level of dedication in educating the average consumer and those of us with a longer background alike.
Thank you so much. Glad you enjoyed it.

Jean

Kava Curious
Very nice and informative. Apparently we would get more information about the kava by giving the kavalactone chemotype in majority first and then the relative ratio of the other kavalactones relative to the kavalactone in majority. Something like, e.g., 2 0,35 0,2 0,1 0,07 0,04 0,03. By standard the numbering of the kavalactones are kept (in this example 0,35 is the ratio (1)/(2), 0,2 is the (3)/(2) ratio , 0,1 the ratio (4)/(2)… . If the majority is the chemotype (4), the ratio would be in the order (4)/(1),(4)/(2),(4)/(3),(4)/(5) and (4)/(6).

Root & Pestle

Vanuatu Kava Exporter
Kava Vendor
Australian Importer
Just curious, but does the lab technician who wrote this article happen to post here under the Root & Pestle username?
Hi, This article was writen by our Chief Science Officer Mr. John McGowan, Medicinal Chemist and Pharmacologist (you can read about him on our social sites). He unfortunately does not post here, however if you have any questions etc. feel free to email us at [email protected] and we would be more than happy to assist you.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hi, This article was writen by our Chief Science Officer Mr. John McGowan, Medicinal Chemist and Pharmacologist (you can read about him on our social sites). He unfortunately does not post here, however if you have any questions etc. feel free to email us at [email protected] and we would be more than happy to assist you.
"Truly the best way to report a kava’s chemotype as far as the end consumer is concerned might be to analyse exactly the ratio and quantity of kavalactones which would be ingested after following the manufacturer’s preparation instructions for that particular batch, although no producer currently does this. Watch this space… "

I look forward to this! I wish there was a standardized method.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
That's what I have been after for years. I know basic math well enough to teach it to someone, however, the furthest I can get so far is grams of kava brewed per milliliter of water used in prep, and, an estimated percentage of individual kavalactones yielded via a successful traditional prep technique. What I'd love is to take a gram of kava, say it has this many milligrams of kavain, DHK, methysticin, DHM, yangonin, and DMY, as well as certain minerals, and be able to know how many mg/ml of each would be found in a milliliter of kava brewed in a 1gram to ten ml preparation. What kinds of technology do you think will make this possible? So far, our bodies do a great job and that is where the experiential data of "energizing, balanced, and sleepy kava" are coming from.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
That's what I have been after for years. I know basic math well enough to teach it to someone, however, the furthest I can get so far is grams of kava brewed per milliliter of water used in prep, and, an estimated percentage of individual kavalactones yielded via a successful traditional prep technique. What I'd love is to take a gram of kava, say it has this many milligrams of kavain, DHK, methysticin, DHM, yangonin, and DMY, as well as certain minerals, and be able to know how many mg/ml of each would be found in a milliliter of kava brewed in a 1gram to ten ml preparation. What kinds of technology do you think will make this possible? So far, our bodies do a great job and that is where the experiential data of "energizing, balanced, and sleepy kava" are coming from.
I promise, this exact question is burning a hole in our brains. It's the most contested question in kava consumption. All we have are guesses, and no real measurements.

It CAN be measured, but getting an accurate range will take quite a bit of time. Time I think should be invested in.

The most official word I have is from Dr. Lebot where he states prepared fresh kava in a Vanuatu nakamal will contain 1.5-2mg of kavalactones per ml of liquid.