What's new

Dehydrator = Krunk

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
Amazing way to make the most of your kava:

1. Knead with a lot of Water. More than you could drink at once. Say 1L total per 50g, multiple washes
2. Dehydrate it to a managable amount using a food dehydrator or oven
3. Consume the thick sludge

...a voila, you are now krunked. Congratulations!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Amazing way to make the most of your kava:

1. Knead with a lot of Water. More than you could drink at once. Say 1L total per 50g, multiple washes
2. Dehydrate it to a managable amount using a food dehydrator or oven
3. Consume the thick sludge

...a voila, you are now krunked. Congratulations!
I've done this and I can say it was not impressive. Honestly I thought it was a waste of kava.
20210209_080911.jpg

20210209_092955.jpg

It was a fun experiment though.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
I've done this and I can say it was not impressive. Honestly I thought it was a waste of kava.
To clarify: I didn't create my own Instant but just reduced the amount of liquid to a drinkable amount. The Idea behind this is to use enough water to extract as much as possible and then reduce the amount of liquid so it's possible to drink all in one go as to increase the initial effects. Your flakes look cool though. How did you consume them if i may ask?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Some I ate but it had a weird cooked taste, a lot of it I re-introduced to other grog to make it stronger.
To clarify: I didn't create my own Instant but just reduced the amount of liquid to a drinkable amount. The Idea behind this is to use enough water to extract as much as possible and then reduce the amount of liquid so it's possible to drink all in one go
Ah gotcha, I read it wrong, that makes more sense.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
I accidentally let my kava burn up in the oven and it produced similar flakes. Tried to mix them into water but they would not dissolve, making for a "delightful" drinking experience. Potencywisse, i would say there was a marked reduction. Maybe up to 50%. I think the heat just destroyed a whole bunch of kavalactones plus it took the body longer to absorb the solids.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I accidentally let my kava burn up in the oven and it produced similar flakes. Tried to mix them into water but they would not dissolve, making for a "delightful" drinking experience. Potencywisse, i would say there was a marked reduction. Maybe up to 50%. I think the heat just destroyed a whole bunch of kavalactones plus it took the body longer to absorb the solids.
I think the easiest way to get the stronger part of the grog is to mix it as usual, put it in the fridge till cool (about 30min) and carefully drain some of the top 1/3 of water right out without stirring it much, that should allow the removal of the lighter brew, leaving a lot of sediment behind. I wouldn't pour out more than a third of the liquid because it is really hard to swallow it down if it is too thick.

I've done that a few times, especially when I am doing second washes and I don't want to drink a ton of extra water.

Crowe

Kava Curious
I think the easiest way to get the stronger part of the grog is to mix it as usual, put it in the fridge till cool (about 30min) and carefully drain some of the top 1/3 of water right out without stirring it much, that should allow the removal of the lighter brew, leaving a lot of sediment behind. I wouldn't pour out more than a third of the liquid because it is really hard to swallow it down if it is too thick.

I've done that a few times, especially when I am doing second washes and I don't want to drink a ton of extra water.
Good idea!