What's new

Denaru Fiji - any kava bars?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
i dunno about kava bars...but there must be some kava at the local markets, or if you ask the locals....market in Nadi would be even more likely...and i think most hotels in fiji do kava (yaqona) ceremonies for the guests.

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
Hmmmm. I have never been to Denaru, so I am going out on a limb here. I think because it typically caters to tourists, you might find some lowish grade kava offered for the "cultural experience". I would be surprised if there's genuine kava bars on the island BUT you may find hotel workers sitting around a bowl at times. I've seen this lots around Nadi. I am sure they would happily invite you in to try some. If that fails, I would ask the restaurant/front desk staff, and I'm sure some of them will point you in the right direction.
I never looked specifically for kava on sale in Fiji, but I saw a reasonable amount in Lautoka market on a Saturday morning. Lautoka is bigger than Nadi anyway, so it might be worth a trip up there (hire a car if short of time; the bus will take forever, though may be more fun :) )

Crunked

Proselytizer
Thanks for the replies. It looks like I am going to have to do some field research once I get there. I hope to publish my results in July. Now, if I can just get a government grant ...:shifty:

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
It seems that the stuff they offer to tourists is either bad or really bad. I've spoken with a girl at my work who told me that her hotel bar was selling super strong (%) alcoholic cocktails with kava juice or kava paste.
Ugh. I guess it is not too surprising. So many tourists simply cannot look beyond alcohol on their holidays. I guess the operators are giving them what they want :(