What's new

Dermo Questions

Jr. Woodchuck

Lightweight
At HeadHodge's suggestion I'm making this thread for extended thoughts/conversation around dermo and how to best deal with it.

Does anyone have recommendations as far as how to best deal with dermo? Specifically, how many days in a row can one drink kava, and how many days are ideal for a break period to allow the dermo to subside?

I've read Amlactin is the favored treatment once the dermo gets bad. Any other suggestions for treatments?

Basically I'm interested in your personal ritual, and how you live with dermo creeping at the edge of town all the time.

Last edited:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I think that dermo expresses itself in different degrees. It can range from simple skin dryness to itchiness, rash, or out right open sores (as reported by other members).

It's true that dermo will clear itself up by taking a break from kava. But the problem is, it could take a week or two to do so.

So for me it's a decision that involves several factors.

Some kava seems to give me dermo worse than others. So I tend to stick with the ones that have the least impact. Or I'll blend the two together to get the effects I'm looking for but hopefully with less dermo.

The amount of kava you consume increases your chances for dermo, so you can go full bore and take a break after getting it or try to pace you usage to help limit the dermo.

For me it's a matter of tolerance. I try to balance the way I consume kava in a way that I consume as much as I can knowing I'll get dermo, but to a degree that I can tolerate and mitigate with Amlactin. Meaning, I'm ok with some dry or flaky skin but I can't tolerate itchies, rashes, or open sores and would take a break whenever that happens.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
My personal experiences with dermo, have led me to the following conclusions and remedies;
1. Dermo anywhere in the face (specially around my eyes) as I call it Racoon eyes, I wash my face and eyes gently, pat dry and apply a thin layer of Vaseline, all around the eye. If it gets into your eye, there nothing to worry about, just gently wipe it away.
2. Dermo anywhere on my body, I use Amlactin 2 times a day (unless the skin has broken). If the skin is broken I stop drinking kava for about 2-3 days then proceed with Amlactin.
3. My biggest mistake is not drinking enough water to at least double the total water used with the kava.
4. I have only realized this recently, I well balanced diet including fruits (high water content) healthy fats and fiber speed up dermo healing.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I think daily drinking will probably invariably lead to dermopathy after a period of weeks or months. Since I drink daily when I do have it, I'm not sure what exactly would be safe, probably like 3-4 times a week. I'm going to add correlations to the kava census sometime in the future so we can see dose/frequency and dermopathy incidence, which I'm very confident will be directly related to eachother.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I honestly cant fathom a reason beyond minerals and vitamin/ water replenishing. Green tea has been known to be good for skin health and they share similar compounds, the fact that you can drink 2 ounces of yerba in a day and only really drink up to 7 grams or so of say matcha powder. The immense amount of phytochemicals could be lending itself to a much faster repair. All i know is when i drink yerba for about a week or so straight my dermo minimizes drastically and then when i run out and drink tea and water it comes back pretty quickly.

Reactions: EQ

EQ

Atman
Why do you think that?
Posting that yerba helps as well. Before I started drinking Kava I noticed Mate eliminated my eczema and I cut out the cream designed for that which I had been using for a year. In other words Mate is the best eczema medicine I have found. I completely stopped using creams and I never itch anymore. Back in the cream days the itchs would attack and more cream would be used. Now I only itch if I haven't had Mate in 2 days, and I use no cream.

@Mrbinx69 You should read about the composition of Mate. On top of the vitamins, and minerals which obviously help it has 11 Polyphenols ( including: caffeic acid, chlorogenic acid ), Saponins, and even the Xanthines help medically: Theophylline, and Theobromine.

Green tea has catechins which Mate does not have. I still love green tea, and imo is better for wakefulness if need be deep in tiredness, but Mate heals the body exponentially in comparison.

EQ

Atman
Wow new concept for me. 'Kava Mate'!!
All the benefits of kava without the dermo.
I will say though that Amlactin is essential. If I didn't use Amlactin dermo would be kicking my ass, but I'm not willing to drop Mate to see how long I'd hold up either.
I definitely have weaker than average skin though.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I dont use any lotions and it seemed to hold it ground pretty nicely. Nothing else changed in my diet or anything and its been almost a week since stopping yerba and my eyes are starting to water and people are jokingly pointing out my dermo again. lol

EQ

Atman
I dont use any lotions and it seemed to hold it ground pretty nicely. Nothing else changed in my diet or anything and its been almost a week since stopping yerba and my eyes are starting to water and people are jokingly pointing out my dermo again. lol
You could probably just medicate with yerba. Quit dropping the yerba binx!

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I know @EQ I just run out and then become lazy hahaha
Today, I had a friend call me and ask me to help move stuff. At first I was like "no way man," but then I thought of the fact that I'll need someone to help me move stuff in a few weeks. Well, it was tough. I was giggling and laughing and dropping stuff everywhere.

"Yo, you drinking that Kava stuff again?"

"You said it, sister."