What's new

Dermopathy on feet only?

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
Hi ho, so as some of you know I drink a lot of unfiltered kava. I'd never had any issues with this, except I have developed some very dry and cracking feet. Its sometimes quite uncomfortable. I reckon it may be the kava, but it may not be. My understanding is that dermopathy has a lot of factors involved, including poor nutrition, which make it lest likely to occur with westerners. At any rate, just curious if anyone else has had any foot issues since they began drinking kava.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Absolutely. It usually effects my feet first before anything else. Dry, cracked, scaly skin on my feet is pretty much a constant since I started drinking kava.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
I don't really get this even though I am a nightly kavasseur. I have some dry skin on my arms but it's nothing bad or extremely noticeable and I really can't tell if it's from kava or just this damned hard California water.

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks guys. Kapm, good to know. Ive taken a week off to see if things improve, but I cant tell if they did. I'll probably drink tonight though, nothing the industrial strength moisturizer my girlfriend keeps around the house cant manage, lol.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I find that taking these vitamins.

Which you can purchase herehttp://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=181036&catid=183227
And this lotion

which you can purchase herehttp://www.drugstore.com/okeeffes-working-hands-hand-cream/qxp446421?catid=182927or Here (They're out at drugstore.com)http://www.amazon.com/OKeeffes-Working-Hands-Cream-3-4/dp/B00121UVU0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354909039&sr=8-1&keywords=okeeffes+working+hands
You can effectively stop, and completely relieve the skin dryness associated with kava. I've used quite a plethora of products to ease the symptoms, and this combination works the best.

Paradise Kava

Honolulu, HI
Kava Vendor
The Kapm said it. Absolutely. Most men in the south pacific have cracked feet and dry, dry skin on their legs because of kava.

imo, it's a sign of dehydration and excessive urination of electrolytes.

A.G

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
I assumed my feet were the way they were because feet are like that. I do drink more water than most, though.

kl.CarolinaBC

Kava Enthusiast
If they are cracked to the point of bleeding get some Eucerin moisturizing cream.  It is basically Vaseline.  Before bed liberally rub it on your feet and put your socks back on.  You'll need to turn your socks inside out when you wash them to get it back out but do this for 3 or 4 nights and it will get you fixed right up.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
The dermopathy has spread to my palms. I'm not sure if it's because I started using Kava King again (micronized instant kava mixed with cocoa and fructose), or because of the addition of nine-year-old Isa. I'm quite happy, but unfortunately budgetary constraints will force me to halve my kava consumption for the next several months, so I should be back to my normal skin texture.

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
So, I've reduced my kava intake for the last few weeks significantly but I havent noticed any change in my feet. It seems to be appearing on my thumbs as well. I am not 100% certain this is kava dermopathy, but it seems the most likely explanation as Ive never had this before I started drinking. I never seem to have a "rash" though like some of the pics on the web show, just really dry and cracking skin. I also assumed it was related to dehydration, but whatever I have going on here seems to have a mind of its own. It can be quite uncomfortable actually.

So, question one is how long following a period of abstinence should I expect to see a change or  I should rule out dermopathy? Question 2 is what sort of remedies should I use in the in term. I read somewhere to increase niacin, but I have been taking it daily for over a month and it doesnt seem to be doing anything. Any balms or lotions anyone would suggest?

Edit kapm and CarolinaBC, I just reread your suggestions. I'm going to order some. Thanks.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hey, when you say rash do you mean like little bubbles that never really pop and turn into savagely dry spots?

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
Some of the pics I have seen seem to look more like hives or some sort of allergic reaction. Personally, I dont get this (or the bubbles you described). My feet, and now my hands, just get really dry and scaly and crack.

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
Could also be in-part that it's been a really dry winter. I need to be constantly pumping water in the air to keep from getting all static-y where I'm at. That'll dry out too.

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah could be in party the weather. Although Ive been having it since before it got too cold. Dont recall exactly when.