What's new

Did I take too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lao

I am on the 4th kava I have tried because I see the potential. I have anxiety bad, which is my main reason for using kava. I just bought a kalm with kava boronguru, as I understood it is supposed to be heavier and less heady, good for anxiety. I tried two tbsp last night. It was a subtle feeling, but definitely what I was looking for. This morning I woke and was feeling more nervous and nauseous than usual. But that happens to me sometimes regardless. I decided to try the full recommended dose (on the bag) this time and used 4 tbsp. So for the first 3/4 of the cup I drank out of I felt pretty good. I was in starting to feel a little antsy in my chest. Then I took the last bit and -clink-, it's like it instantly bonded with the other kava and I felt like I had taken an amphetamine. How subtle is kava supposed to be, because I hear all different accounts of it's effects on people, and does this sound like I took too much and should just be happy with the very subtle feeling?

EQ

Atman
I am on the 4th kava I have tried because I see the potential. I have anxiety bad, which is my main reason for using kava. I just bought a kalm with kava boronguru, as I understood it is supposed to be heavier and less heady, good for anxiety. I tried two tbsp last night. It was a subtle feeling, but definitely what I was looking for. This morning I woke and was feeling more nervous and nauseous than usual. But that happens to me sometimes regardless. I decided to try the full recommended dose (on the bag) this time and used 4 tbsp. So for the first 3/4 of the cup I drank out of I felt pretty good. I was in starting to feel a little antsy in my chest. Then I took the last bit and -clink-, it's like it instantly bonded with the other kava and I felt like I had taken an amphetamine. How subtle is kava supposed to be, because I hear all different accounts of it's effects on people, and does this sound like I took too much and should just be happy with the very subtle feeling?
Kavas level of intensity is subjective based on past experience with other drugs.
Kava is subtle compared to a lot of drugs.
"And I felt like I had taken an amphetamine"
Have you ever been high on speed?
There are many ex-addicts here, and we also support using Kava as an alternative to other substances including alcohol, and we have to say it is subtle because it is.
Kava can krunk you out no doubt. It isn't like popping some Valerian or drinking a cup of green tea. But it isn't like ripping a bong or swigging the bottle down or hitting the crack pipe.

Last edited:

Lao

I have used stimulants yes, and really don't care for them. I used to be addicted to benzo's and painkillers. I still drink too much, but not as bad as I used to. I quit most of that stuff a couple years ago. My problem these days is I find myself struggling with anxiety issues, but knowing that I cannot just ask the doctor for a few xanax because I'll get addicted again so fast (although I've been tempted to do that lately). As far as weed goes, that's just another drug I don't get, as just with the kava, it was always panic inducing and intensely uncomfortable. I really like the idea of something that can just quiet the racing thoughts and general noise in my head for a little while. Not to be high, just less crazy. But this kava so far seems so stimulating.

EQ

Atman
I have used stimulants yes, and really don't care for them. I used to be addicted to benzo's and painkillers. I still drink too much, but not as bad as I used to. I quit most of that stuff a couple years ago. My problem these days is I find myself struggling with anxiety issues, but knowing that I cannot just ask the doctor for a few xanax because I'll get addicted again so fast (although I've been tempted to do that lately). As far as weed goes, that's just another drug I don't get, as just with the kava, it was always panic inducing and intensely uncomfortable. I really like the idea of something that can just quiet the racing thoughts and general noise in my head for a little while. Not to be high, just less crazy. But this kava so far seems so stimulating.
Try keeping the dose low.
Maybe Kava just isn't for you.
Chamomile may suit you.

EDIT: If 2 table spoons is what you are looking for than keep using that amount.

Last edited:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@Lao That sounds very similar to something I used to get. When I first started drinking kava I just used to mix with water then the next morning I would drink some milk and get a huge kava explosion. It would feel somewhat like an amphetamine come up as if I had just chugged a couple of grams mixed with coke (a cola!) but obviously not so wild. I would get some nausea and uneasiness too. What I have found is that my body doesn't use all the kava that I consume unless I use something to help it. The kava will hang around until the next day and sort of reactivate itself which can be unpleasant. Since I found this out I started just mixing with milk and I have realised that I can use less powder to do the same job and get none of the next day rush problem. I still get a next day effect from certain kavas, the warm tingly muscles and elevated mood, but just not the reactivation rush which can be alarming, particularly if you're driving!

I would say 4 tbsps. of that kava is not a strong batch (we're not talking about micronized here are we?!), I would usually use about 5 or 6 and some here go to 8 to 10. It's likely to be something similar to my experience. Why not try adding some milk to your mix or just use all milk and see if the same thing happens?

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
I once took too much kava. I mixed concentrates and instant in stupid quantities on an empty stomach. I got super krunked, but ended up barfing all over the place, and I couldn't walk. I also had major spins. And somehow enjoyed the whole thing.
SO
Unless that sounds like you, no you did not take too much.

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
There are heavier varieties than Borongoru, perhaps you just need to experiment a bit with different cultivars? I would say try Mahakea from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava or else WOW from Nakamal @ Home...

Kavamon

Jamaican me crazy
i have a similar experience..its definitely more of an upper for me. very speed, to the point my jaw grinds like I've done some lines. I do enjoy it but I def don't think of kava (at least the GHK stuff I am consuming) to help me sleep or anything remotely close to it..

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Higher doses of kava can certainly cause tachycardia....not sure I would compare it to stimulants in any way but in answer to your questions: if a lower dose works, why go higher?

Also, was your stomach empty last night? If you took 4 tbsp on an empty stomach compared to 2 tbsp on a semi-full stomach, it would give you even more of an effect.

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
I don't think Borongoru is a heavy kava. Borogoru is a heavy kava. They are two different strains. I get borogoru from GHK and it is very relaxing. Also, if you are a lightweight like me than 4 tablespoons can be too much. For others, it is not nearly enough.

Lao

Hmm. Well I am gathering that I messed up in my pursuit of buying one of the heavy kavas. I bought boronguru as apposed to boroguru specifically because I thought that was the heavy one. People are always saying things like, "these have more of the euphoria". But... do people actually mean the stimulating feeling when they say euphoria? Maybe my definition of the word is different. I have always wondered that. I may try nene at some point, as I consistently hear that one is supposed to be one of the heaviest? Please correct me someone, if I'm wrong again, haha. I might try eating before taking it too. I always read to take it on an empty stomach. But I'm guessing that any kava, even the nene would give me tachycardia at some point. I have to say I am surprised at kava. This is not what I thought it would be. This is a real drug.

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
Hmm. Well I am gathering that I messed up in my pursuit of buying one of the heavy kavas. I bought boronguru as apposed to boroguru specifically because I thought that was the heavy one. People are always saying things like, "these have more of the euphoria". But... do people actually mean the stimulating feeling when they say euphoria? Maybe my definition of the word is different. I have always wondered that. I may try nene at some point, as I consistently hear that one is supposed to be one of the heaviest? Please correct me someone, if I'm wrong again, haha. I might try eating before taking it too. I always read to take it on an empty stomach. But I'm guessing that any kava, even the nene would give me tachycardia at some point. I have to say I am surprised at kava. This is not what I thought it would be. This is a real drug.
Well, "euphoria" at least in my opinion, is a stimulating feeling. I wouldn't call a hot shower or a massage euphoric. That kind of good feel is what you'd call a body high. "Euphoria", on the other hand, is a purely psychological effect: waves of happiness and positive energy.

Depending on the strain, kava can cause both body highs and euphoria. But because you are sensitive to stimulation, I'd go for a kava that only effects the body. The nene sounds perfect for you.

Reactions: Lao

Lao

Well, "euphoria" at least in my opinion, is a stimulating feeling. I wouldn't call a hot shower or a massage euphoric. That kind of good feel is what you'd call a body high. "Euphoria", on the other hand, is a purely psychological effect: waves of happiness and positive energy.

Depending on the strain, kava can cause both body highs and euphoria. But because you are sensitive to stimulation, I'd go for a kava that only effects the body. The nene sounds perfect for you.
Very interesting. According to the definition you give, what I have always considered euphoria is what you would call a body high. That could explain a bit.

Jerome

Kava Lover
Sometimes I would take various natural "cures" for anxiety, and my fear or apprehension about the substance I would ingest would cause my heart to race and my nerves to be shot. Are you sure it's not anxiety that is making you feel like you've taken a amphetamine? I know that's how I would feel back when I had anxiety and would take new substances.

Reactions: Lao

Jerome

Kava Lover
When you take too much kava, you feel groggy, sea sick, nauseous, and the room spins. Never amped as if you've done a few lines of coke.

Lao

Sometimes I would take various natural "cures" for anxiety, and my fear or apprehension about the substance I would ingest would cause my heart to race and my nerves to be shot. Are you sure it's not anxiety that is making you feel like you've taken a amphetamine? I know that's how I would feel back when I had anxiety and would take new substances.
I think that's part of it. I tried a few tbsp today not on an empty stomach and didn't feel much of anything but I could tell that I was making myself nervous as some panic hit even before drinking. The other day however, what worried me was the chest feeling, something that is not normal for me.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
It's likely that you will get some apprehension and nervous tension before drinking kava because you're not used to the effects and don't know what to expect with each different strain that you drink. Once you have used each strain a few times this should lessen as you will know what to expect a bit more. It's a learning curve in that you probably need to make yourself feel quite ill once or twice to establish your boundaries and then you'll be completely fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.