What's new

Difference between Micronised and Powder / Your top 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

betablocker

Kava Curious
Hi Guys,

From what I see we have three types of offerings, you can go for the instant, micronised, or powder.
Well instant doesn't need much of an explanation, but what is the difference between micronised and powder? Are there potency differences? Because I am trying to find a reason to buy powder now - I do like getting into a mess and having rough tiring hands, but am I right in saying I can ditch all my equipment for a whisk now?

Is it more efficient cost wise, ie: getting trunked 20 times per pound micronised versus 15 time using the root? or vice versa for example?

burp... thanks

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
I think micronised is more economical. I can get a nice effect off 4 teaspoons, so it lasts a long time.

D

Deleted User01

Micronized is almost like toss and wash except that GHK has a special process where they take our the rough fiber before he even starts. Then he has a machine called the Micronizer that ruptures the cell walls to release the Kavalactones and grinds the kava to "almost" the consistency of instant. It is convenient like powder but more potent. Here is a biggie, the taste is negligible. There are some people on the forum that do not like any fiber in their grog. Check out Sir Kavalots recipe for 'Micronized Kava Syrup'. You blend it and strain it to remove any extraneous fiber. I like Kavalot's method. I make a big strong batch and put it in a 16oz bottle so I have a potent syrup to mix anytime and with any mixer.

infraredz

BULA!
Hi Guys,

From what I see we have three types of offerings, you can go for the instant, micronised, or powder.
Well instant doesn't need much of an explanation, but what is the difference between micronised and powder? Are there potency differences? Because I am trying to find a reason to buy powder now - I do like getting into a mess and having rough tiring hands, but am I right in saying I can ditch all my equipment for a whisk now?

Is it more efficient cost wise, ie: getting trunked 20 times per pound micronised versus 15 time using the root? or vice versa for example?

burp... thanks
I would imagine (thought I haven't had the chance to test it out yet :() that micronized would be much more economical in terms of potency per amount. I can't give any numbers like you were asking about, but from what I've gathered, a 2-3tbsp of micronized kava is equal to around 6-8tbsps of normal "medium grind" kava.

Maybe others can chime in with specifics...

Steve T

Kava Enthusiast
My experience is that it ends up being the same price as a medium grind, but with less preparation, less dermopathy, more instant, better taste. It is also possible that one will have less GI problems or "hangover" effect the next day with micronized. I don't experience any of this with Chris's kavas anyway. He explains it here: http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/honokane-iki-powdered.2733/

I took 4 tbsp of micro Honokane Iki, 15% kavalactones for a while. Then went to 6tbsp of medium Papa Ele Ele, 20% kavalactones (with slightly more DHK according to the chemotype). They both had an equal effect.
Micro: 4 tbsp x .15 = .6
Medium: 6 tbsp x .2 = 1.2
Micro = 2xMedium

So conventionally speaking, micro is 2x as potent as medium, with maybe the small DHK difference having an effect. Some people have said it is 2-3x the potency, so it should be at least 2x stronger. In terms of cost, the more important factors would generally be chemotype and kavalactone %. The Honokane Iki I drank was equivalent to 8 tbsp of medium, where 6 tbsp of Papa did an equal job -- that is because of the chemotypes and kavalactones. If it helps you analyze the cost, I recently got 52 tbsp out of 1lb of Papa Ele Ele medium (compact, level tbsp). So, I am in the same boat -- trying to budget kava.

I think micro is the way to go. I have some Mahakea micro on the way which has great reviews and 19% kavalactones. I'm guessing 3 tbsp would get me to where I want to be but I'll have to find out. You can't lose with Chris's kavas though. I strongly recommend Papa Ele Ele if he harvests more of it.

D

Deleted User01

Kavalot has the best prep method for Micronized. And I adopted it as follows, 18 oz of liquid and 8 level tablespoons of Micronized. Blend for 30 seconds or so. Strain it into a bowl. I even gave it a few squeezes for good measure. Pour into a 16oz bottle and put in fridge. At night, I'll will put a few oz. of that with a few oz of ginger ale and do that for a nitecap. Convenient, potent, good tasting, less fiber. In your case Hedgie, you should leave a little fiber in there.:ROFLMAO:

Steve T

Kava Enthusiast
That's pretty awesome info. What prep methods are you using for the micro? (and also the medium)
Thanks HeadHodge. This is my unusual method for medium and micro:

Hard plastic shaker bottle (I use this)
6 tbsp of medium grind (or equiv micronized)
140F water to 22-24oz mark (140F is just the lowest setting on my electronic kettle, and 22-24oz leaves air inside the bottle for better shaking. Maybe 15oz for micro.)
Insert plastic mixing thing, seal tightly, and shake the crap out of it for 5-8 minutes.
[This would be the unusual part, because I am intentionally trying to get a mild upper-body workout at this step -- mimicking a Shake Weight, or isolating some muscles, etc. It works, but don't expect much.]
Let it sit for >30 minutes
Shake the crap out of it for 5 more minutes
Secure knee high nylon over the bottle and pour kava into it, over a 2 liter pitcher
Move the plastic ball up, out of the stocking, into the shaker
Fill shaker with like 4oz of water, shake, just to remove extra kava
Pour that into the stocking as well
Rinse all the shaker components, then fill the main bottle with hot tap water up to 22oz mark (less for micro).
With rubber gloves on, twist the "entrance" to the stocking and squeeze all liquid out
From this point on, don't let the stocking into the kava pool
Pour some hot water onto stocking, squeeze it out, more hot water, squeeze it out, until hot water is gone and the squeezes give rather clear liquid.
Fridge for preferably 5+ hours, it helps separate sediment, but not necessary
Pour or ladle into cup/shell
After I finish drinking the batch and there's only sediment, I blast it with cold sink water and let it sit in the fridge for a bit. Drink diluted kava water. I repeat this like 3 times, and also usually have a glass of light kava for the next morning. Skippable for the toss & wash crowd. This just makes sure that the last bits of kavalactones don't go to waste -- especially the first dilution is quite potent.

With micronized this takes me less time, especially the squeezing, but I use the same process with maybe 1/2 the total water. I sort of use too much water, but it's to avoid sediment, hydrate, and to sip kava like beer.

Last edited:

infraredz

BULA!
I haven't had the chance to prepare micronized, but I'm curious how you can really "strain" it since it's, well, micronized. What sort of strainer is fine enough to not just make it end up being a toss and wash (which I understand to be "okay" with GHK's micronized since he removes the fibrous bits)?

Steve T

Kava Enthusiast
I haven't had the chance to prepare micronized, but I'm curious how you can really "strain" it since it's, well, micronized. What sort of strainer is fine enough to not just make it end up being a toss and wash (which I understand to be "okay" with GHK's micronized since he removes the fibrous bits)?
I've read that people toss and wash it after normal filtering. When I try this it's super uncomfortable in the stomach, but not to the point of nausea. There are some particles a nylon will catch and the nylon feels like it contains mud. But the sediment in the drink I can't imagine can be filtered easily, which is where blasting it with water comes in for me towards the end. I guess it depends on the person and their GI.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
I've gone both ways with Micronized - i'll get some sediment after straining it. You get a really light tasting, smooth drink by doing that. It's worth straining if you're using just water. My new process is to strain the Micronized then put it back in more water for a second wash, so to speak. You can almost water it down enough to where you eventually toss n wash the lot of it. today I just stirred in about .5 teaspoon Micro in some grape chia kombucha for lunch and didn't notice any texture issues. It did affect the taste some but the two were just not complimentary in the taste dept. I've mixed it in to other things and the taste almost disappears completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.