What's new

Differences of traditional grind and instant (effect wise)

Jean

Kava Curious
@Edward, thank you for this explanation: unfortunately the advertising of micronized kava is that you can use it without strainer, like an instant. Hence, my error was that by instant we should only understand lyophilized strained kava. As the only "instant" that I tried has been a micronized one, I'm in fact unable to give any comments on a real instant.

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
It isn't (mostly) the same sediment like micronised kava. But after a minute, you already have another layer in the lower third of your "shell" and have to stir. I just wonder why it doesn't pass the strainer bags after a strong blender, even though I can make strong kava with traditional blend.

So straining it makes sense perhaps if you use micronised, but not with instant, because the outcome is almost pure water...

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Real instant kava is evaporated/dehydrated fresh kava. Micro is regular kava ground super fine, sold for twice as much, in some cases.

Medium grind is the most versatile (and affordable) with the largest amount of vendors offering it.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@Edward, thank you for this explanation: unfortunately the advertising of micronized kava is that you can use it without strainer, like an instant. Hence, my error was that by instant we should only understand lyophilized strained kava. As the only "instant" that I tried has been a micronized one, I'm in fact unable to give any comments on a real instant.
I suppose in a way you can't blame vendors for selling micro as "instant" because it is just "add, stir, chug" but the difference is like night and day and it does tend to cause confusion.

Reactions: Pzk

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
It isn't (mostly) the same sediment like micronised kava. But after a minute, you already have another layer in the lower third of your "shell" and have to stir. I just wonder why it doesn't pass the strainer bags after a strong blender, even though I can make strong kava with traditional blend.

So straining it makes sense perhaps if you use micronised, but not with instant, because the outcome is almost pure water...
As I say most true instants should have very little sediment at all although they can sometimes be a bit gritty. A lot depends on the size of your strainer bag. If you strain a micronsied kava through a 75 micron strainer you will be left with a fine sludge and that should help reduce the stomach effects quite a bit. If you strain a true instant you will likely be left with no sediment at all and it will have no effect either way on the kava.

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
As I say most true instants should have very little sediment at all although they can sometimes be a bit gritty. A lot depends on the size of your strainer bag. If you strain a micronsied kava through a 75 micron strainer you will be left with a fine sludge and that should help reduce the stomach effects quite a bit. If you strain a true instant you will likely be left with no sediment at all and it will have no effect either way on the kava.
If this is true, than my instant wouldn't be a true (or good) instant.... 80% +/- , like you see on my picture I posted here. This was left in the strainer after a strong blender! And it was almost everything I put in. The strained kava water was very weak, I guess 1/5 - I had to put the kava from the strainer bag back into the water.

I ordered the Kelai instant from the same company and I am curious to see how that instant behaves.

Really curious whats up at kavasociety/kavaeurope. My other thread was about the normal Pacific Elixir, also with pictures added, and it almost completely went through my nylon strainer bag, like it would be "super micronized". I double, tripple checked everything and every other kava I have doesn't pass the nylon strainer bag (besides a little bit of sediment).

Somehow ....

I slowly become a fan of Melo Melo. Just ordered another 500gr. To me this is nothing to "party" or to have a heavy hit of sedation, but a warm, calming medicine and you sleep well.

Jean

Kava Curious
I've just ordered some "real" instant by Mark (Kavaclub), in order to try an instant and not a micronized kava.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
All of our instants are true instants, dehydrated green kava juice. You still have solids there, but none of the rough fibres.

Our traditional grinds are relatively finely ground, we recommend our 75 micron strainers for best results.

Again, you ll always get some sediment in your kava, just like you would in ginger juice etc. But with our products and suggested prep methods, you will not be getting any bark, rough fibres etc in your drink.

By the way, we generally recommend against using blenders if you have a sensitive stomach. They liquify traditional grind fibres, and they can generate enough heat to cause starch gellimg/swelling and overall make the kava much rougher to drink. Traditional prep or instsnt in cold water is the way to go. If you are too lazy, use powder stirrer and strainer, but not any blender with sharp blades