What's new

Discouraged with the nausea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tulkas

Hi all, brand new here to the forum but have been lurking here awhile since starting on this kava journey. So real short, I stopped drinking alcohol almost 7 years ago, and several months ago I figured I'd try Kava since I've heard the effects can be quite similar without all the drama that alcohol can (and DID) cause in life. SO, I started with the Wakacon, moved on to BHK, tried several types there, KALM with Kava, and then GHK. Bottom line, whether it's medium grind, instant, or micronized, I end up with horrible nausea. I even got ginger pills, some ginger lozenges and go crazy with them between each shell, or washing of the kava. I just don't get why?! And the worse part it seems to be getting gradually worse overall. Don't get me wrong, sometimes, I have a relatively low nausea night and don't even notice it, but it's usually like 7 out of 10 that I get super nauseous. And wow, I do get some hangovers as well. I'm a former alcoholic so I know all about wretched hangovers, and some of the kava hangovers have been on par with those, well minus the pounding headache. Serving wise, I try not to go over 6 tablespoons, and at this point, I'm scared to even think about it. SO, I'm hoping either for some friendly advice, maybe a recommendation of strains, preparation, anything, because at this point I'm just kinda at a loss and thinking of hanging up the strainer, alu ball or any other Kava paraphernalia!
Thanks !

EQ

Atman
Do you have a tough time drinking the Kava?

How much water do you use to those 6tbl spoons?

What do you mix Kava with? Just water? Soy?

T

Tulkas

Drinking the kava wasn't really a problem to begin with, I figured if I used to drink straight vodka then the taste of Kava is infinitely better. However, as time went on, I started to develop a pretty bad gag reflex and started having to use a chaser to subside the gag, like either water, some super sour candy, even lemon. I think it's almost the anticipation of the gag reflex that makes it worse. But usually thats more so with micronized or instant. When I prepare it traditionally or use the alu ball with medium grind I don't really experience a strong gag reflex. And I meant it's 6 sometimes 8 tablespoons overall, I'll mix about 3 tablespoons per serving with about a cup cup and half of water. Then usually wash it down with more water. Of course I'll strain it, kneed it or alu ball it, no toss and wash unless it's micro or instant. And do a second wash of the same batch, sometimes a third.
The thing is, it's almost random, because sometimes I'll have a good night with it, and then the next time I try it and repeat the same thing and I get horrible nausea for a few hours . It's really frustrating because I really like the effects especially when I get an amazing kava buzz going on. I don't know. I keep thinking the nausea would get better with time but it seems to have gotten worse :/

EQ

Atman
The more you gag and choke the worse the nausea will get. The easier of a time drinking will lead to no nausea.

Try using more water. Add another 100-200ml to every 3 tbl spoons. You are making strong mixes. Try weak. I think this will help most.

Make it really cold. I personally put Ice in a glass and put that in the freezer. I put the kava in the fridge.

Another thing I learned was if you have a real bad choke don't drink more. Even if you feel well after. Out of the 4 times I puked it was always with that scenario. I have even dumped some Kava out because I know what would happen.

When drinking never breath through your nose. You actually have to focus on this because you can subconsciously do it while drinking the kava.

Also spit. Drink outside and spit the salivation that builds. Sit and spit.

Last edited:

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
Try sipping a small amount of grog and swishing it in your mouth for a few seconds before you start chugging. This will get you used to the kava flavor, and thus preventing gagging from the shockingly awful taste.

Jana

Kava Enthusiast
Engage yourself. I just noticed tonight that when I'm mentally occupied I have no time for nausea and it sort of fades out. Try it out. Don't focus on it. I've also tried pressure points for nausea recently and I believe it works. Don't psyche yourself out. I used to be a drinker but I recall times where I'd puke from drinking too much. I'd take this kind of nausea over that kind any day. Nausea induced by over consumption of alcohol is much more unforgiving imho. Just try and take your mind off of it. Mind over matter is helping me more now because the more I focus on the nausea the worse it gets. Watch something funny. Do anything that takes your full attention. I have really found that this helps.

Last edited:

BurningFish

Kava Curious
I used to get sick a lot from medication and I tried ginger capsules and ginger extract. These did not help at all. What did work though, and I have no idea why, is chopping up some fresh ginger root and mixing it with boiling water and some honey. You can crush the root up further with the back of a teaspoon whilst in the water.
I have no idea why this worked but it did almost instantly.

moff000

Kava Enthusiast
Drinking the kava wasn't really a problem to begin with, I figured if I used to drink straight vodka then the taste of Kava is infinitely better. However, as time went on, I started to develop a pretty bad gag reflex and started having to use a chaser to subside the gag, like either water, some super sour candy, even lemon. I think it's almost the anticipation of the gag reflex that makes it worse. But usually thats more so with micronized or instant. When I prepare it traditionally or use the alu ball with medium grind I don't really experience a strong gag reflex. And I meant it's 6 sometimes 8 tablespoons overall, I'll mix about 3 tablespoons per serving with about a cup cup and half of water. Then usually wash it down with more water. Of course I'll strain it, kneed it or alu ball it, no toss and wash unless it's micro or instant. And do a second wash of the same batch, sometimes a third.
The thing is, it's almost random, because sometimes I'll have a good night with it, and then the next time I try it and repeat the same thing and I get horrible nausea for a few hours . It's really frustrating because I really like the effects especially when I get an amazing kava buzz going on. I don't know. I keep thinking the nausea would get better with time but it seems to have gotten worse :/
I had been having the same problems you are getting!
I don't get it as bad now as i've switched the way i make up kava and followed Edwards recommendation using milk.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Prep it in V8 Splash Orange Pineapple instead of water. It almost goes down to easy then. I was trying to cut back on my sugar intake and not use the Splash as much, but with this brutal allergy season tearing up my belly I think I make return to the jug. The constant post nasal drip tears my belly up. I usually have no problem with kava unsless my belly is already bothering me.

splash.jpg

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
Congrats on the 7 years! I've been a friend of Bill's for 4 myself.

Nausea...straight up vodka....yeah. How does spicy food work for you? I think that's key for people who are used to chugging a vodka and vodka mixed drink!..lol. Irritation of the stomach lining and narrowing of the lining of the esophagus. Add dehydration to the mix, and a peppery kava, and your stomach is physically trying to throw that stuff off it!

Approaching this from your history, I'd say you have stomach irritation. Taste doesn't matter. I have the same issue. So, what I found that works for me:
  1. Drink about 1/2 liter of water first. Give it about 30 minutes.
  2. Prep kava at like (3 to 4) tablespoons to 3 cups of water.
  3. I use warm water for prep. But, I have an old beer stein from back in the day. It's thick ceramic. I put that in the freezer. Then, pour the warm kava into it. That chills it a bit.
  4. Drink the kave (best part.)
  5. About 30 minutes later, at least another 1/2 liter of water.
Note: Some kavas are stomach-irritation friendly! I've found the following that seem to work for me:
  1. Squanch - Waka
  2. Squanch - Lawena
  3. Gourmet Hawaiian Kava - Papa Kea
Dude, it DOES make a difference. I have other kavas, and when I use them a few nights in a row, I start getting stomach irritation/nausea.
WHEN the stomach irritation happens, I do the following:
1/2 tablespoons of baking soda when feeling nauseated.
1/2 tablespoons of baking soda just before bed.
Oh....and eat! Geeze, it sounds so obvious. But when you're nauseated, you have a tendency NOT to eat. And of course, that doesn't help.

Hang in there! Kava is a great something, when you just need a little something to take the edge off life. Hey, getting all knotted up inside over stress doesn't help either!
Drunks can be obnoxious.
Kava drinkers just get mellow and cheesy! :D
Speaking from experience..lol.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
You may try candied ginger. I've found it helps me when I have nausea. I also keep meclizine on hand. It's the non drowsy form of dramamine. Kava doesn't make me nauseous, but I experience it on a regular basis for no discernable reason. I know eating decreases the effectiveness of Kava, but you may want to try eating a light snack before you drink Kava.

T

Tulkas

Wow, a lot of great advice! I have never tried squanch before so since someone with a similar background to mind recommended I'll give that a try for sure. And the candied ginger, I suck on those like no tomorrow. They saved me at my most recent tour of hearst castle after drinking quite a bit of instant before going on that tour.... that begins with a 15 minute windy road bus ride! lol
SO tonight, I tried paying attention to what I do before drinking kava and how long it takes to start feeling the nausea. I prepared with a strainer about 3 tlbs of some Kalm with Kava Pouni Ono, made three shells with the same batch of kava. Drank them about 10 mins apart, about half hour after that the nausea kicks in. However still enjoying the warm feelings more than paying attention to the nausea, popped to ginger pills, and am sitting here typing write now. Nausea is pretty strong, but not enough to discourage me from my next batch of the same thing in about another half hour. I wonder if eating might be part of the problem? Usually after I eat a meal the nausea tends to subside (usually) or go away. But someone mentioned it, kava doesn't exactly make you too hungry for a big meal. And yes Spicy food seems to help more than others. And I noticed that the gag effect only happens when I try and drink more kava when I'm already feeling horrible nausea.
I don't know, I'm so torn about it. I keep thinking that there is some perfect way to consume it to avoid bad side effects for me personally, but the more i read the more I see that sometimes it's just pretty damned random on how that particular strain is going to hit you on any given day.
Oh well, I'm still going to finish this next 3 tbls and see how I feel in a few hours.

Crunked

Proselytizer
SO tonight, I tried paying attention to what I do before drinking kava and how long it takes to start feeling the nausea. I prepared with a strainer about 3 tlbs of some Kalm with Kava Pouni Ono, made three shells with the same batch of kava. Drank them about 10 mins apart, about half hour after that the nausea kicks in.
You could try spacing your shells to 20 minutes apart and/or light snacking, e.g. carrot sticks, nuts, pork rinds.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
I went back to the juice prep instead of water last night and had no nausea at all so I am back to hugging the V8 Splash orange pineapple jug.

D

Deleted User01

@Tulkas, some people are allergic to kava in one way or another. Honestly, I can eat a lot of hot spicy stuff things but Pizza gives me heartburn. Here is an idea. Try doing 1 tablespoon and see if you get nausea. Up the dose the next day if you don't get nausea. I get effects and good sleep from just 1 dose but I'm a liteweight. Try to find your tolerance level. If one tablespoon gives you nausea, then kava is not for you.

D

Deleted User01

@GussWest, I hate to tell @Tulkas to try nausea cures if he/she gets sick every time Kava is ingested. It's the old saying, 'If it hurts when you do dat, then don't do dat'. Kava is supposed to be a solution and not something that causes problems. So some guys gets nausea, others get bad dermo, headaches, anxiety, and so on. I feel bad for them but allergies are allergies. Honestly, just the sight of hot gooey Oatmeal makes me nauseous but my wife loves it. Everyone has their thang.
But it's worth finding out if you can handle a small quantity. Small quantities still have good benefits.

T

Tulkas

I think Deleted User01, you might be right. I'm still going to give it the good ole college try though! :) I'm also going to try it with some V8 Splash since I do have some lying around! And also try the strains that Dino9832 mentioned.

So the other night when I finished that last 3 tbls I ate maybe within a half hour afterwards, on a scale of one through ten the nausea was maybe 5 the rest of the evening, not really unbearable. But what I noticed what is consistent is that after the first 3 tbls the nausea kicks up about a half hour to 45 mins afterwards and once it kicks up it makes the second serving harder to get down and thats when all the chasers and sour candies help. I guess I'm just one of the people that gets stomach irritation in the form of bad nausea. :/

SO last night I tried it again, since my girlfriend wanted to go to the movies and watch the Conjuring 2. Same dosage, same spacing, however I figured I might as well try a couple tabelspoons of Pepto Bismol about a half hour BEFORE drinking my first batch of Kava. Not sure if that's a thing or not, but I did have a good experience last night, with just minimal nausea. It was still there within 45 mins after my first servings, but it wasn't too bad. The movie was OK, in case anyone was wondering :)

Thanks again everyone for all the great advice!

Jr. Woodchuck

Lightweight
Hi Tulkas, I'll tell you my personal method for not gagging. I use a plastic container with a 1 inch diameter hole to drink from (rubbermaid, $1 at wal-sharts), this way my nose doesn't go into the cup. This does help me. I also hold my breath and chug as much as possible. After you chug and take a break to breathe, wait a while to breathe until after you swallow the last chug. I also pretend that I'm drinking water. When you can't smell, it minimizes the taste and you can actually fool yourself. Hope that helps. If not, I second Squanch's V8 recommendation, it helps a lot as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.