What's new

Kava Preparation DIY coconut-kava "paste"

verticity

I'm interested in things
... put coocnut oil in jar and place in hot water bath till it melts.. add the alchohol on top of the coconut oil and gradually bring up temperature to boiling water....
I feel I should warn anyone who wants to try this: He means put a thermometer in the oil, and heat it until it is 220F or 100C. He does not mean to bring the coconut oil to boiling. That would be much hotter than boiling water and would destroy the kavalactones. (and possibly make a giant mess)

EDIT: Oh, I just realized you said to use a hot water bath, which is the best way to prevent overheating. Just wanted to make this clear to people.

verticity

I'm interested in things
There is no residual alchohol .. trust me lol .. just heat it an extra 10 minutes if your really wor rid about it... you can smell it coming off more and more...
It's not so much that, but the fact that I don't drink so I don't want to keep any alcohol in the house. lol

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yes :) thanks :) I'm in a hurry when I made that if anyone has any questions about it further pm me.. it really is very potent way to do it... no alchohol left over ... just coconut oil and the plant actives.. coconut oil can be effective but for mint ;)specifically it can take up to 12 hours in a crock pot to get full extraction and even then you can see in the plant matter ton of color ... with this the color is litterally leached from the plant like a vacuum ... it's litterally dead after .. so you know it's all there :)

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
Yes :) thanks :) I'm in a hurry when I made that if anyone has any questions about it further pm me.. it really is very potent way to do it... no alchohol left over ... just coconut oil and the plant actives.. coconut oil can be effective but for cannabis specifically it can take up to 12 hours in a crock pot to get full extraction and even then you can see in the plant matter ton of color ... with this the color is litterally leached from the plant like a vacuum ... it's litterally dead after .. so you know it's all there :)
A assume you meant to say "mint" lol

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
It truly is a masterpiece of my broken mind at the time ;) hahaha. I never had an issue driving until the day I made that ;)

Please someone else try it and let me know

verticity

I'm interested in things
It truly is a masterpiece of my broken mind at the time ;) hahaha. I never had an issue driving until the day I made that ;)

Please someone else try it and let me know
That was way back in the day when you were "Zachary" lol

Kimmer

Patently irritable
This has been an interesting experiment. I don't know if it's just the makas floating to the top but the mixture moved for about 5 minutes--almost like pitching yeast. I could see a nice pattern in the oil too (but when I tried to move it to better light for a picture I lost it.) I used boroguru so I can tell if I get the full effects from the extract. Thanks for the instructions @verticity

verticity

I'm interested in things
The mixture "moved"? I'm not sure what you mean. Was the oil boiling? (It should not be) Did you check the temperature?
Was this with coconut cream, or coconut oil?

Kimmer

Patently irritable
This was with coconut oil. And no, not boiling. I got mine to just over 150F. After raising the temperature, I stirred it a bit and let it sit. It almost looked like it was churning a bit but it could have just been the makas floating to the top. I strained mine using a stocking and leaving it to cool now. Did you stir yours to keep the suspension even or did you let the good stuff sink to the bottom?