What's new

DIY EXTRACT QUESTIONS

new-kavadonia

Kava Curious
Hi everyone. I guess this is aimed at those kava experts amongst you here. I have become interested in making my own kava extract just to have handy when there's no time for traditional prep or that's easier to bring with me to places. Of course it seems that the easiest way to do this would be an alcoholic extract. However of course this is where we start getting into dodgy territories with the history of kava supplements. I know it's always said that alcohol extracts extract too many flavokains which make the product more dangerous. However I was wondering whether doing an alcohol extract with noble kava is as dangerous if you evaporate all the alcohol off. It's just because I was wondering whether it was really to do with the alcohol extraction or the use of tudei kava with higher flavokains concentrations in old supplements that caused the issues. If alcohol extracts do really extract more harmful molecules from kava shouldn't we be as wary of micronised kava and perhaps the boil up method of preparing kava.

Any insight into going forward with an alcohol extract would be appreciated. And letting me know whether my logic is sound or whether I'm missing a key price of information hahaha

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi everyone. I guess this is aimed at those kava experts amongst you here. I have become interested in making my own kava extract just to have handy when there's no time for traditional prep or that's easier to bring with me to places. Of course it seems that the easiest way to do this would be an alcoholic extract. However of course this is where we start getting into dodgy territories with the history of kava supplements. I know it's always said that alcohol extracts extract too many flavokains which make the product more dangerous. However I was wondering whether doing an alcohol extract with noble kava is as dangerous if you evaporate all the alcohol off. It's just because I was wondering whether it was really to do with the alcohol extraction or the use of tudei kava with higher flavokains concentrations in old supplements that caused the issues. If alcohol extracts do really extract more harmful molecules from kava shouldn't we be as wary of micronised kava and perhaps the boil up method of preparing kava.

Any insight into going forward with an alcohol extract would be appreciated. And letting me know whether my logic is sound or whether I'm missing a key price of information hahaha
You're good! I replied to your message on reddit too. It's the starting material that's in question here, not the solvent. If you start with Bir Fok (a stupidly non-noble kava) you would end up with crap out. If you start with Borogu in, you get an extract with a mirrored chemotype of what went in. The small amounts of ethanol after evaporation are negligible.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I have become interested in making my own kava extract just to have handy when there's no time for traditional prep or that's easier to bring with me to places.
Extracts will never replicate the traditional prep. and resulting beverage. Extracts come close but fail short 9/10 times, it's inferior to grog. With that in mind, I've tried to replicate my own DIY pastes, extracts and such and it is always a failure, waste of good kava and so on. Do yourself a favor and get something prepackaged for convenience. 7 years ago we only had instant kava (best choice, btw!) and fortunately Ozia kava candy, who unlike my failed attempts is a million times better, more importantly, effective for what you are looking for.

new-kavadonia

Kava Curious
You're good! I replied to your message on reddit too. It's the starting material that's in question here, not the solvent. If you start with Bir Fok (a stupidly non-noble kava) you would end up with crap out. If you start with Borogu in, you get an extract with a mirrored chemotype of what went in. The small amounts of ethanol after evaporation are negligible.
Thanks! I never know where I'll get a better response here or reddit so I usually post on both. This is basically the reassurance I was looking for that noble kava will make noble and safe extract. I saw some stuff about glutathione (idk if spelled right) but I'm not sure what exactly is the deal with it in extract.

new-kavadonia

Kava Curious
Extracts will never replicate the traditional prep. and resulting beverage. Extracts come close but fail short 9/10 times, it's inferior to grog. With that in mind, I've tried to replicate my own DIY pastes, extracts and such and it is always a failure, waste of good kava and so on. Do yourself a favor and get something prepackaged for convenience. 7 years ago we only had instant kava (best choice, btw!) and fortunately Ozia kava candy, who unlike my failed attempts is a million times better, more importantly, effective for what you are looking for.
Nah ofc I'm not looking to replace traditional prep for the majority of my kava sessions but I'd like to have a little something in my pantry that I can add to a cup of herbal tea or something after a very long day and I want to unwind before but don't have the energy for traditional prep. Ofc I'd like to be able to buy just premade extract but because I'm from Ireland that means paying more customs tax on top of what I already pay. Usually if I buy one type of kava in bulk it's more cost effective for me in terms of taxes so I don't mind setting a little aside to experiment with extracts.

Terry

Kava Curious
If you make fresh kava in traditional form, how long will it last if you seal the bottle and remove any impurities/ air?
I am looking at making some for friends and want to know how often they will need to collect it or what quantities I can make it in (1L, 2L etc)

Any help with longevity of product would be good

Zaphod

Kava Lover

I have done a few extracts - mostly for fun. In the end it is a lot of work for not much benefit. Always start with good noble kava. I recommend the highest proof ethanol you can get. In the states that is usually Everclear which is 190proof or 95%. If that is not available then vodka is probably your next best choice. After extraction I filtered the plant material out and then put it in some coconut oil and slowly boiled of the alcohol leaving an oil based kava extract that you could either cool down a little below room temperature as a solid or heat up a bit for a liquid. It was decently strong but not anywhere near a traditional experience. Most extracts (mine included) tended to be heady and short lived with not as much body feel (at least in my experience). None have ever provided me the same great feeling I get from a traditionally prepared kava.

Terry

Kava Curious
That is great advice and a response to the effects that I keep hearing re traditional vs alcohol extracts.

Will keep going as I'm intersted to find a middle ground whre convenience meets results

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
If you make fresh kava in traditional form, how long will it last if you seal the bottle and remove any impurities/ air?
I am looking at making some for friends and want to know how often they will need to collect it or what quantities I can make it in (1L, 2L etc)

Any help with longevity of product would be good
Kava naturally has bacteria in it so in the heat of Fiji it will get sour within hours. With good refrigeration, a day.