What's new

DIY micronizing

kavasam

Kava Curious
My favorite kava (so far) does not come in a micronized version. I really really would like some and I'm wondering if anyone here has been successful with a DIY attempt?

Grinding it up is just toss and wash so there's got to be more to the process. I Googled and found that one way is to sieve it first, then powder it but I'm a bit unclear on the sieve and that piece of the process. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or is it impossible without equipment or sources like Bula has?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
You could use a ball mill with ceramic media, fill it up, and let it run for several days. The issue I had with this is that once the kava reaches a certain size it becomes almost "wet" with kavalactones and likes to stick to itself.

Maybe something like this

Amazon product

Last edited:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
My favorite kava (so far) does not come in a micronized version. I really really would like some and I'm wondering if anyone here has been successful with a DIY attempt?

Grinding it up is just toss and wash so there's got to be more to the process. I Googled and found that one way is to sieve it first, then powder it but I'm a bit unclear on the sieve and that piece of the process. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or is it impossible without equipment or sources like Bula has?
The advantage source suppliers have is that they can remove the larger heavier makas before microginding. If you are in your home kitchen grinding up medium grind you don't have that luxury. You could attempt to filter larger particles and makas out before you grind, but that will be tough. That said I have used a blade coffee grinder to go from medium grind to microish grind kava. Works just fine. Most folks find microgrind to be tough on the stomach and brings on dermo faster than medium grind. I myself would rather triple wash or blender method or mongrel grog methods if I want more from my kava than microgrind but that is just my preference. I always found microgrind harsh and gritty to drink (my own or store bought).

kavasam

Kava Curious
Microgrind works just fine for me, I've only had ones from KWK though. It does shut down my appetite. From what he's said, apparently GHK uses some special process that's different than others. Doubt he'd tell what it is. Micro soooo much quicker and easier especially when travelling.

I'd be curious as to the process that's used to clear out the heavier makas. It would be awesome to be able to make your own for those traveling situations (when no one offers your fave in micro). I'm quite handy at building stuff, I might be able to do it if I knew how they pull the coarse makas out. The AluBall doesn't get it for me. A weaker brew plus the same cleanup as my blender process which is slick and quick.

Last edited:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Microgrind works just fine for me, I've only had ones from KWK though. It does shut down my appetite. From what he's said, apparently GHK uses some special process that's different than others. Doubt he'd tell what it is. Micro soooo much quicker and easier especially when travelling.

I'd be curious as to the process that's used to clear out the heavier makas. It would be awesome to be able to make your own for those traveling situations (when no one offers your fave in micro). I'm quite handy at building stuff, I might be able to do it if I knew how they pull the coarse makas out. The AluBall doesn't get it for me. A weaker brew plus the same cleanup as my blender process which is slick and quick.
For those who are not following the maka vs. no-maka microgrind these links may help.
http://kavalibrarycom.homestead.com/Micronized_Kava.html
http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/the-secret-to-my-micronized-kava.3130/

kavasam

Kava Curious
Great links. Thanks. Kavafied is going to post on their Youtube channel about how to make micronized. I subscribed so I can get notified. It may not be a process like Cris's but it'll be one version which may work well for those who don't have stomach or dermo issues.