What's new

Kava Science DNA or Cultivar Testing of Kava?

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Does anyone currently do DNA or cultivar testing of kava? For example, if I wanted to verify that the kava cultivar that is labeled on my bag is actually what it says it is is there someplace I could send a sample and have that verified? Obviously I can get the chemotype and other testing that might help verify it but could you get a definitive yes/no that it is an exact cultivar with no mixing?

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
No, there isn't anyone doing DNA testing. I'd imagine it'd be cost prohibitive anyway.

BTW you wouldn't be able to identify cultivar by chemotype.

There's no way to know for certain what you're getting. Most Fijian kava is a blend. I've never seen a kava farm (and I've seen many dozens) that had a single cultivar and never known a Fijian kava farmer who even planted them separately let alone cared which was which when harvesting for commercial sale.

The less steps between the ground and the tanoa the better so you stand a higher chance buying from vendors who deal directly with growers. Right now that's Kava Time, KWK and BKH. Kava Time doesn't claim to sell single-cultivar, so he's out. KWK sells Vula, which is not a cultivar (there are half a dozen vula cultivars) and Damu, which is. BKH have two Tongan ones IIRC.

And then of course there's GHK.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
No, there isn't anyone doing DNA testing. I'd imagine it'd be cost prohibitive anyway.

BTW you wouldn't be able to identify cultivar by chemotype.

There's no way to know for certain what you're getting. Most Fijian kava is a blend. I've never seen a kava farm (and I've seen many dozens) that had a single cultivar and never known a Fijian kava farmer who even planted them separately let alone cared which was which when harvesting for commercial sale.

The less steps between the ground and the tanoa the better so you stand a higher chance buying from vendors who deal directly with growers. Right now that's Kava Time, KWK and BKH. Kava Time doesn't claim to sell single-cultivar, so he's out. KWK sells Vula, which is not a cultivar (there are half a dozen vula cultivars) and Damu, which is. BKH have two Tongan ones IIRC.

And then of course there's GHK.
I fully agree and understand that most of what I am buying is mixed. The name stays the same and they get to mix anything and everything into the bag and I am none the wiser. Most of the time I could care less as long as they mix me up something good (y). However, we have individuals who rant that what is in my occasional purchase of golden bags is not what I think it is and we have other vendors charging high prices for rare cultivars. On the other side, I would think vendors would sometimes like to check to see that what they are being sold is true. Seems like a logical question to me to ask if the next level of kava testing is feasible and affordable. I am also of the opinion that labeling should indicate that what is in the bag. If it is a mix then tell me it is a mix, preferably with the strains but I understand that this might not be feasible with a lot of what we get from Fiji. Then again if the vendors have good working relationships with these farms it doesn't sound that far fetched.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Does anyone currently do DNA or cultivar testing of kava? For example, if I wanted to verify that the kava cultivar that is labeled on my bag is actually what it says it is is there someplace I could send a sample and have that verified? Obviously I can get the chemotype and other testing that might help verify it but could you get a definitive yes/no that it is an exact cultivar with no mixing?
Comment on Hawaiian cultivars (might relate to other growing region cultivars) - There is, at least, one scientific study that demonstrates ("Noble") 'awa extremely similar in DNA profile. Rather than trying to explain just look up Economic Botany 53: 407-418. Extremely small genetic variation for obvious reasons. Plenty morphology.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Kava King said a few years ago that they do "DNA barcoding", but as far as I can tell, their test just verified that the material is kava as opposed to a completely different species of plant; it does not distinguish between cultivars. That kind of test actually could be useful to detect contamination with things like coconut flour. I don't know if KK or anyone else are still using it.
http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/kava-chemotype-testing-dna-barcoding.4857/
In that thread from 2015 Kava king said:
"The technology of DNA barcoding itself allows it to be so specific as to tell between two individuals, so you and me, or two plants of the same species. However background information about the genomes is needed, you need to know what nucleotides will always be present and which ones are indicative of actually differences. So with the current level of genetic information on Kava, I am not sure that we would be able to tell the varietal differences, though it is, in theory, possible once more information becomes available through research."

Also in 2015, Vandenbroucke, Lebot and others published a study of kava genetics that provides a basis for a test to distinguish between distinct groupings: Wichmannii, Vanuatu Noble, Vanuatu Tudei, Polynesian Noble, or PNG, but I don't think this specific method could distinguish individual cultivars within those groups (although interestingly it looks like it could distinguish the 2 PNG cultivars from eachother. So in theory this test could tell you if your kava is Isa). I don't know if this method is being used in practice at all. In principle it should be possible to fingerprint all the individual cultivars, since they are clones of eachother there would not be much variation, but I don't think the genetic research has been done at that level of detail.
Vandenbroucke, Henri, et al. "Comparative analysis of genetic variation in kava (Piper methysticum) assessed by SSR and DArT reveals zygotic foundation and clonal diversification." Genome 58.1 (2015): 1-11.
Figure from the paper showing the groupings of genetically similar cultivars (Pom = Polynesia & Micronesia, Pw = Piper wichmannii)
2018-03-01 12_06_51-lebot genetics.pdf - Foxit Reader.png

Last edited:

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I fully agree and understand that most of what I am buying is mixed. The name stays the same and they get to mix anything and everything into the bag and I am none the wiser. Most of the time I could care less as long as they mix me up something good (y). However, we have individuals who rant that what is in my occasional purchase of golden bags is not what I think it is and we have other vendors charging high prices for rare cultivars. On the other side, I would think vendors would sometimes like to check to see that what they are being sold is true. Seems like a logical question to me to ask if the next level of kava testing is feasible and affordable. I am also of the opinion that labeling should indicate that what is in the bag. If it is a mix then tell me it is a mix, preferably with the strains but I understand that this might not be feasible with a lot of what we get from Fiji. Then again if the vendors have good working relationships with these farms it doesn't sound that far fetched.
While scientific verification may not be possible to identify them at the individual cultivar level, it would be good if vendors would at least list the blend being used. There would be less confusion when new batches come out and are exceptionally strong or weak. It would also be helpful to people trying to use kava medicinally because they need predictable effects (and side effects). I can see some vendors opposing this because they want to have proprietary blends but they don't necessarily have to tell us what percentage of each variety is used. Kava Time actually lists his farmers cultivars for each of his offerings, though.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
While scientific verification may not be possible to identify them at the individual cultivar level, it would be good if vendors would at least list the blend being used.
The problem is that usually they don't themselves know for certain. My experience doesn't extend beyond Fiji, but sadly over here even the farmers don't know what they're growing. They've never needed to know. Their fathers didn't need to know. Their grandfathers didn't need to know. The market doesn't care.

No farmer I talked to on my recent visit correctly identified every cultivar they had. They called the dark ones Loa (there are a few dark cultivars), the light ones Vula (there are 6 light cultivars), and Damu and the two Matakaro's were often mis-identified.

I don't know if this is the correct test, but this Canadian lab appears to charge USD$2500. :bigmoney:

verticity

I'm interested in things
I don't know if this is the correct test, but this Canadian lab appears to charge USD$2500. :bigmoney:
That does match what KK said they were doing. But it also mentions using 96 well microtiter plates, which I think would mean you could do 96 different samples at a time for that price? That's still about USD 25 per sample, but could be doable for a large company like Con Aloe (Kava King's supplier) with lots of different products to test.
Some details about DNA barcoding here. That specific test only looks at very limited sections of DNA, not the whole genome, so probably could not distinguish different varieties of the same species:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_barcoding

Last edited:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
The problem is that usually they don't themselves know for certain. My experience doesn't extend beyond Fiji, but sadly over here even the farmers don't know what they're growing. They've never needed to know. Their fathers didn't need to know. Their grandfathers didn't need to know. The market doesn't care.

No farmer I talked to on my recent visit correctly identified every cultivar they had. They called the dark ones Loa (there are a few dark cultivars), the light ones Vula (there are 6 light cultivars), and Damu and the two Matakaro's were often mis-identified.

Do you feel like this is slowly changing or is there still no real market forces pushing this?

Zaphod

Kava Lover
That does match what KK said they were doing. But it also mentions using 96 well microtiter plates, which I think would mean you could do 96 different samples at a time for that price? That's still about USD 25 per sample, but could be doable for a large company like Con Aloe (Kava King's supplier) with lots of different products to test.
Some details about DNA barcoding here. That specific test only looks at very limited sections of DNA, not the whole genome, so probably could not distinguish different varieties of the same species:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_barcoding
Thanks! It would appear that, while possible, it is still pretty cost prohibitive for just getting a ballpark idea of what variety the kava is and would probably not work well for a pre-ground mix either. Sounds like there is still no substitute for vendors who actively work directly with the farmers to source good kava.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Do you feel like this is slowly changing or is there still no real market forces pushing this?
No, there is no change. I mean, there are maybe half a dozen farmers who deal directly with overseas online vendors. They're a very tiny minority. The tens of thousands of other kava farmers who sell locally have no reason to care.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
No, there is no change. I mean, there are maybe half a dozen farmers who deal directly with overseas online vendors. They're a very tiny minority. The tens of thousands of other kava farmers who sell locally have no reason to care.
This means that the only people who are inquiring about cultivars is foreigners? Of course, for the various cultivars to exist at all, seems probable that someone cared at some point. Interesting though. I got mixed feelings about the international market influencing what is grown etc...
In any case, I was having the similar thoughts about DNA testing this morning in reference to Yonolulu. It'd be interesting to find out what awa cultivar it originated with.

Not sure if you saw it, but Kava Time has some really nice photos of cultivars on their website now: https://www.kavatime.us/pages/fiji-kava-guide

Last edited:

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
This means that the only people who are inquiring about cultivars is foreigners?
Yes.

Of course, for the various cultivars to exist at all, seems probable that someone cared at some point.
Before commercialization. Maybe even before then, back when farmers still drank their own kava fresh out of the ground.

I got mixed feelings about the international market influencing what is grown etc...
The international market isn't influencing what is grown. The average Fijian farmer doesn't care one way or another. It's all kava to him. He will plant whatever stem cuttings he has regardless of what cultivar it is.

Two or three vendors have asked their suppliers to give them single-cultivar batches. The vendor doesn't know about Fijian kava and doesn't particularly care which cultivar he gets. What he cares about is consistency. If the farmer sells him blends of random cultivars every time, his customers won't be happy.

So the farmers haven't started growing one cultivar more than another. Rather, they've started growing them separately and harvesting them separately.

Keep in mind we're talking about 3 or 4 people here. This isn't having any impact on the industry overall.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
This means that the only people who are inquiring about cultivars is foreigners? Of course, for the various cultivars to exist at all, seems probable that someone cared at some point. Interesting though. I got mixed feelings about the international market influencing what is grown etc...
In any case, I was having the similar thoughts about DNA testing this morning in reference to Yonolulu. It'd be interesting to find out what awa cultivar it originated with.

Not sure if you saw it, but Kava Time has some really nice photos of cultivars on their website now: https://www.kavatime.us/pages/fiji-kava-guide
Well, In Vanuatu the town nakamals tend to get supplied through family connections. E.g. if you want to drink kava Paama, go to a Paamese nakamal, and so on. As for the cultivars, it's whatever comes on the boat from home, sometimes mixed together.