What's new

Do you guys mix cultivars during a session or do you like to stick to one per evening?

Honolulusurfer88

Kava Curious
Just curious. I find myself experimenting with different types, though I haven't really found any combo that packs a one-two punch. I seem to benefit more from going the single strain per session route. How about you guys? Any good combos?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
A lot of people mix, the only really noticeable mixing is when you add a heavy kava to a heady one or a strong one to a weak one. Which is basically the only reason I ever mix.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
It's been awhile, but I recalled that when I had Squanch waka, sometimes it was nice to throw in a lesser or equal amount of Kavafied Kava Supreme to deepen the experience. However, it should be noted that many, if not most, of the kavas for sale already ARE mixtures of various cultivars (mixtures which, in some cases, are explicitly described as what someone thought made a good one-two punch). [Ironically Squanch and Kava Supreme are not cultivars either, so chances are that they contain more than one cultivar].

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Just curious. I find myself experimenting with different types, though I haven't really found any combo that packs a one-two punch. I seem to benefit more from going the single strain per session route. How about you guys? Any good combos?
I have a bunch of reasons for blending kavas but getting a one-two punch is rarely one. When I do, I usually go for Squanch and TFR, Squanch and Kula, or Damu and Taveuni's Lawena.

Usually when I blend it's to tone things down, either in regards to effects or flavour or both.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
It's been awhile, but I recalled that when I had Squanch waka, sometimes it was nice to throw in a lesser or equal amount of Kavafied Kava Supreme to deepen the experience. However, it should be noted that many, if not most, of the kavas for sale already ARE mixtures of various cultivars (mixtures which, in some cases, are explicitly described as what someone thought made a good one-two punch). [Ironically Squanch and Kava Supreme are not cultivars either, so chances are that they contain more than one cultivar].
I am a relative newbie and I just recently started doing this and I like the blend. I was proud of myself for figuring it out, though I kind of figured it had been done before. I only did it because I kept having problems with the squanch get gummed up in the aluballs. But the combo is nice for me.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I will sometimes mix a less expensive and weaker kava with a stronger one. However, these days I rarely have more than one kava on hand due to the hike in prices on Amazon and just general budget constraints. More often I now just adjust the amount of root I’m using to meet whatever goal I have in the moment.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I will sometimes mix a less expensive and weaker kava with a stronger one. However, these days I rarely have more than one kava on hand due to the hike in prices on Amazon and just general budget constraints. More often I now just adjust the amount of root I’m using to meet whatever goal I have in the moment.
you seem to be a prime candidate for needing a pound or two of the Best Fijian Lawena. Very good for that type of mixing, and in a pinch is surprisingly pleasant just on it own. For example, that $40/lb Borogu from KWK is a good kava but I can rarely ever drink it straight. 1:1 with that lawena and it is very drinkable or even 2:1. 3:1 is pushing it but could be done in a pinch.

kalmia_latifolia

Dad, scientist, gardener, living in the SE USA
you seem to be a prime candidate for needing a pound or two of the Best Fijian Lawena. Very good for that type of mixing, and in a pinch is surprisingly pleasant just on it own. For example, that $40/lb Borogu from KWK is a good kava but I can rarely ever drink it straight. 1:1 with that lawena and it is very drinkable or even 2:1. 3:1 is pushing it but could be done in a pinch.
I just ordered 3 more lbs of the Best Fijian Lawena. I like its effects: mild and well balanced. And it's so cheap. I tend to mix in a potent waka (Squanch, Dua Na Bilo) 1:1 and it gets me just how I like it.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I just ordered 3 more lbs of the Best Fijian Lawena. I like its effects: mild and well balanced. And it's so cheap. I tend to mix in a potent waka (Squanch, Dua Na Bilo) 1:1 and it gets me just how I like it.
glad you are enjoying it, I hate to steer people wrong. I find it very good for mellowing out stronger or gnarlier tasting kavas.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Who sells that one Krunkie?

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I mix all the time. Sometimes I mix for a single shell, other times I have some heady when I first get home and still have lots of stuff to do and then finish the night with a heavier kava for a good nights sleep. Its all good and part of the spice of life. Some of what you purchase is already a mix of multiple cultivars.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
Personally I probably mix about as often as I don’t, 50/50 I’d say. Early on I think it’s important to spend some time with a specific Kava, especially if going in for the first time. Once you had a good understanding of a type than it’s game on!

As already stated by others there is several different reasons on why you would mix. Personally for me it’s about effects, different days require something else. I’m always working on new mixes, but enjoying a single cultivar is just as nice. Even if it may already be pre-mixed before hand.