What's new

Do you take a break?

Kavannabanana

Kava Curious
Hi folks, I hope all is well, for each and everyone.

I have a question for long time, daily Kava drinkers.

Do you take a break every so often? If so how long? Thank you!

D

Deleted User01

Yeah, every week I tell myself, "I should take a break from Kava". Then reality hits and I say, "Who am I kidding, that's just another thing I'm never gonna do."
Of course I'm not retired yet so I can't drink kava all day but I start at around "Happy Hour" which used to be "Beer Thirty" or "Wino Wednesday" on the calendar.

Kavannabanana

Kava Curious
Not me, I went for the Willie Nelson option, all day every day.
I love that! The Willie Nelson Option! :D

Yeah, every week I tell myself, "I should take a break from Kava". Then reality hits and I say, "Who am I kidding, that's just another thing I'm never gonna do."
That is so good to know! Thank you! I really indentify with that!

I don't take a break. I've been drinking kava basically every night for about 5 years.
Brilliant! I wonder is that a record!? :D I stopped the booze 21 years ago, I found kava a few months ago. It's just wonderful.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Not really. Over the last two plus years I took a break once for bad case of dermo (~2weeks) and couple of times here and there for a day when I had a nasty head cold or some other health related issue that I figured would not be good to add kava to. Otherwise daily. Every now and then I get to a point where I think I should take a break - either kava isn't quite doing it for me, had too much of a heady strain and feeling a bit strung out, or other wise just feeling a bit off but inevitably I get out of work and that familiar golden bag is sitting on the counter and chug a lug I go!

Kavannabanana

Kava Curious
Not really. Over the last two plus years I took a break once for bad case of dermo (~2weeks) and couple of times here and there for a day when I had a nasty head cold or some other health related issue that I figured would not be good to add kava to. Otherwise daily. Every now and then I get to a point where I think I should take a break - either kava isn't quite doing it for me, had too much of a heady strain and feeling a bit strung out, or other wise just feeling a bit off but inevitably I get out of work and that familiar golden bag is sitting on the counter and chug a lug I go!
I chop and change the Kava I am drinking quite a bit so I very much identify with what you are saying. I have Dermo which flares up from time to time, however I am managing it rather well. It's great to hear feedback! Thank you! :)

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I didn't break for years, but recently - the last 2 years, take a break of a few days every few months, when I get /too dehydrated and my eyes get red, watery & irritated. If it wasn't for this occasional discomfort I wouldn't break just for the sake of it.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I didn't break for years, but recently - the last 2 years, take a break of a few days every few months, when I get /too dehydrated and my eyes get red, watery & irritated. If it wasn't for this occasional discomfort I wouldn't break just for the sake of it.

a half cup of uncooked rice, tie it up i na sock and microwave for 20 seconds. Hold gently on your eyes. Do this several times a day. Bingo, you don't have to take a break! :)

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
Hi folks, I hope all is well, for each and everyone.

I have a question for long time, daily Kava drinkers.

Do you take a break every so often? If so how long? Thank you!
Why do you feel you need to take a break? Do you take a break every so often from drinking coffee (assuming you are a coffee drinker) -- most people don't?

Short of stopping to get rid of dermo, I personally see no reason why a break is needed unless you want it. With that said, there are times I've just not felt like drinking it for a few days so I didn't. Or, there are times I've traveled for business for a week or more and just not taken Kava with me. It really isn't a problem and I've not noticed much difference before and after.

Kava is pretty unique in this sense because you can literally stop drinking it and aside from missing it, there really aren't any negative effects from not drinking it. "Taking a break" implies you are trying to get your tolerance down to a level to enjoy the substance more later. Such is not the case with Kava.

Last edited:

Kavannabanana

Kava Curious
I do, typically it’s two days a week I’ll take off and it’s mostly for monetary reasons.
Thank you, that makes total sense.

Used to drink kava pretty much every day, but it made me too content and passive, so nowadays my break would be when I do have kava. I drink Yerba mate and/or matcha pretty much every day though and I get a lot more done nowadays.

I have some Tonga on the way from @Kavafied hopefully it gets here in time for festivus
Fingers crossed your gets to you for festivus. I have never heard of Yerba!

I get that, I thought it was part and parcel of log fires or rosacea. Good to know thank you!

I take a break in between sipping.
Hee heee heee! :) I like that

Why do you feel you need to take a break? Do you take a break every so often from drinking coffee (assuming you are a coffee drinker) -- most people don't?

Short of stopping to get rid of dermo, I personally see no reason why a break is needed unless you want it. With that said, there are times I've just not felt like drinking it for a few days so I didn't. Or, there are times I've traveled for business for a week or more and just not taken Kava with me. It really isn't a problem and I've not noticed much difference before and after.

Kava is pretty unique in this sense because you can literally stop drinking it and aside from missing it, there really aren't any negative effects from not drinking it. "Taking a break" implies you are trying to get your tolerance down to a level to enjoy the substance more later. Such is not the case with Kava.
I do take breaks from coffee drinking! I drink one cup a day and take breaks, every couple of weeks. I am pretty sensitive when it comes to chemicals, nutmeg used in any dish, if I ingest it, makes makes sob crying!! I ask about taking a break only because after reading up on what folk do I kept coming across, advice which said "Take a break every 12 weeks". I have found drinking kava to improve the quality of my life immeasurably, however as there is little to no obvious regulation for kava usage, I wanted to hear about forum folks usage. Thank you kindly for responding.

After reading everyones replies I am far more relaxed about my daily Kava drinking.
As someone who is highly strung, I am so happy to have found Kava.
Wishing you all love xx

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
That was AWESOME!! :LOL: Thank you so much Capitán Bastos!!
I am now informed and shall further explore Yerba!! :bookworm:(y)
I make my yerba maté using my AluBall. It's great that way. And I'll make maté first and have it warming in a carafe, then make kava, have some shells, and sip maté to stay hydrated, plus it tastes great. They really go together well, IM and I sip both together at work all day. And at home, too.

Kavannabanana

Kava Curious
I make my yerba maté using my AluBall. It's great that way. And I'll make maté first and have it warming in a carafe, then make kava, have some shells, and sip maté to stay hydrated, plus it tastes great. They really go together well, IM and I sip both together at work all day. And at home, too.
Wow, that is inspired. I now feel compelled to try Yerba. Thank you. :)