What's new

Kava FAQ Does anyone find certain cultivators can make them itchy?

BourbonMac

I like herbs
Yeah, I've noticed. After a 6 month break from kava last year, I tried some "old roots" from FVK. Very potent, apparently older kava is, but I got quite itchy. I don't think it was dermopathy as I wasn't red but it was similar.

It's very hit or miss whether or not kava can make me itchy, but Loa Waka micronized in particular makes me itchier than any of the other micronized kavas, and sometimes just my Lewena from FVK, 20g or so I'll feel a bit itchy sometimes.

Last year I had real dermopathy, with red skin and all that, but now I'm only ever itchy if I've taken it. I don't think I'm allergic, I've spilled some on my skin plenty of times and had no reaction. I saw a reddit post of someone who'd done the same thing and they looked like they were having a niacin flush. Just so incredibly red. I wonder if regular niacin flushes actually protect my skin from it, somehow?

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Yes I can get itchy sometimes maybe every 4-5 months - especially neck and face - if I have been having 6 hour heavy sessions night after night for a while. I get this with most kavas including my usual which is very high quality and one I have been enjoying for 10 years or so - but only after enjoying it a bit too much. Stopping for 2-3 days usually fixes it. I have no allergies and am not sensitive to anything - no idea what the cause is.

BourbonMac

I like herbs
It's always neck and upper chest for me, and it's pretty random. Sometimes I won't get it at all, sometimes I'll get it. My neck is a bit itchy, that's about it, but I took 30g of micronized, 20g strained 10g unstrained, and unstrained will make you itch easier. Although I've honestly felt medium grind has done it worse, but it depends. Like I said, that "old roots" one made me hella itchy and that was after a 5 month break from kava.