What's new

Does kava have a positive long term effect on anxiety?

metalman

Pretty self explanatory, but, I've been taking kava for about a week and a half now. There were times in my life where I took it almost daily for even longer, and noticed that I was calmer even after I stopped taking it. I suffer with a panic disorder. It's basically panic disorder with agoraphobia, and I recently started taking kava regularly again in an attempt to produce more GABA receptors in my brain. I realize the kava won't cure me, but it may just help me get through difficult times, especially on days where I'm doing exposure therapy to help work on my relationship with anxiety. Would be interested to hear what some of you have to say about this, and if there's evidence for this or if it's mostly just anecdotal.

Forretressqt

Kava Curious
There's one study over 16 weeks that shows the acute benefits of Kava but no long term benefits.
For myself I'm similar, It helps me a lot particularly when things might be a bit more difficult though I don't notice any tangible benefits outside of the acute effects.

I would argue that there is still some kind of long term benefits in having kava as a tool/ritual in terms of overall wellbeing; knowing it's there and taking the time to treat myself must be good!