What's new

Does Kava make you cold/shiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bert07

Me like da kava
Well, I'm back in it again tonight after a 3 week break and I feel great. The only thing I can't understand is why Kava makes me feel cold most of the time...to the point where I shiver. When this occurs I always need to jack up the heat and wear more clothing. Does this happen to anyone else?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Yeah, this usually happens to me when it's hittin' pretty hard. Sometimes I'll be in a 75 degree room with a jacket on...

D

Deactivated Account

Never experienced it however I live in a hot climate.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
I got pretty krunk and went to Kroger and was freezing in the ice cream section once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
Yep. Actually for the last few days I have meant to start a topic on this. Almost without fail, it makes me feel cold.

Bert07

Me like da kava
It would be interesting to know why this is from a medical perspective. On the contrary, I find alcohol makes me warmer. Maybe someone is able to shed light on this subject, if not I can do a little research.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
100% agree with the shivering. I'm beginning to think that I'm fighting the muscle relaxing effects of kava by tensioning my muscles subconsciously. I can't explain the chill though. I even have gone to warming my kava up a tad just so I don't get brain freeze from it. That's the worst. Kava brain freeze.

Bert07

Me like da kava
Me too, it's more than a "cold chill". It feels like a big jolt of energy going through my muscles, maybe partly due to the cerebral effect from the kava?

Ecto

Train by day, Kava by night....All day
I don't get "cold" per say.....but I do get small muscle spasms when I try to sleep right after drinking, mostly in my thigh/leg region. Strange it helps so many here go to sleep....but I've always been an insomniac.

P

pjim

yes, get cold every time. Since the Kava is a muscle-relaxant, it seems like it depresses one's metabolism as a whole...at least that's what I've always assumed was causing my chill.

Gradius

Hi, just had a thought about this...
To the ones that get cold: Do you go without food for several hours before you consume kava?
If that is the case, then this is my half-arsed theory :)

When you eat your body won't be 100% efficient at converting the energy in the food into a storeable/usable form. The waste-energy in the process ends up as heat and can account for as much as 20-25% of the food energy. When you go without food a long time your body won't be processing food anymore and this heat-source disappears.

Maybe this combined with the muscle-relaxant effect of kava might explain it?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Hi, just had a thought about this...
To the ones that get cold: Do you go without food for several hours before you consume kava?
If that is the case, then this is my half-arsed theory :)

When you eat your body won't be 100% efficient at converting the energy in the food into a storeable/usable form. The waste-energy in the process ends up as heat and can account for as much as 20-25% of the food energy. When you go without food a long time your body won't be processing food anymore and this heat-source disappears.

Maybe this combined with the muscle-relaxant effect of kava might explain it?
I get the cold feeling fairly frequently (even if it's warm outside) and yes, I usually go without eating for several hours prior.
However, I tried a new strain last night and ended up feeling distinctly warmer than usual and still hadn't eaten for hours before this either.
It made me begin to wonder if it's perhaps related to the Chemotype of the plant. Some kava's give me a bit of a boost to my tactile sensations. For example, something as simple as swinging my arms, makes me feel the air slightly tickle my skin more than usual. I think that can be confused for feeling cool. The kava I felt warm with had little effect on my tactile sensitivity, so maybe it's the result of certain kavalactones.?
I've also noticed sometimes, I can get a sort of jittery stimulated sensation if I have some strong shells going through me. This jittery quivering might also be confused with cold shivers.

D

Deleted User01

Normally, no. But the other day I put on a second pair of socks because my feet were cold and I know it was the Kava. FYI, it was also cold outside.

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
Kava almost always makes me cooler. It's great in the summer when I'm sitting on the baking porch and it feels like a lovely spring day. It's not as nice when I'm trying to save money in the winter and start shivering my butt off.

I think someone else on here mentioned how they went on a cold weather hike and had kava (because it does seem to connect you to nature), then was miserable because it made him so cold.

@Ecto I get those twitches too when I have a slightly heavier session. It happens particularly with Stone for me, which is odd because that's the one many would recommend for insomnia. It makes it really really hard to sleep when your legs and back of twitching.

Status
Not open for further replies.