What's new

Blog Article Dr. Aporosa: "Australia’s discussion of kava imports reflects lack of cultural understanding"

verticity

I'm interested in things
This is an excellent article by kava researcher Dr. Apo Aporosa critiquing the faulty assumptions behind Australia's kava import restrictions. Highly recommend reading the whole thing (it's not long) as well as Dr. Aporosa's replies in the comments ..

https://theconversation.com/austral...eflects-lack-of-cultural-understanding-115662

Quote: "Australia’s restrictions on kava are based on concerns about its misuse in remote communities. But the government’s policy is imperialistic and ignores evidence about kava use, side effects and cultural significance."

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
They'd rather keep remote communities blowing numbers and committing domestic violence because it suits their campaign platforms.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Whoa there, a whole 4 kgs that you have to bring by hand. They really opened it wide, didn't they?

What are the import limits on alcohol again?

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
here is a video on the topic
Literally makes me feel sick that they see kava as a substance abuse issue.

verticity

I'm interested in things
here is a video on the topic
Literally makes me feel sick that they see kava as a substance abuse issue.
Now I get it. Those naive, childlike cartoon people need to be protected from superficial correlates of their community's problems, and then the actual causes will sort themselves out. /Sarcasm.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
This is an excellent article by kava researcher Dr. Apo Aporosa critiquing the faulty assumptions behind Australia's kava import restrictions. Highly recommend reading the whole thing (it's not long) as well as Dr. Aporosa's replies in the comments ..

https://theconversation.com/austral...eflects-lack-of-cultural-understanding-115662

Quote: "Australia’s restrictions on kava are based on concerns about its misuse in remote communities. But the government’s policy is imperialistic and ignores evidence about kava use, side effects and cultural significance."
Totally engaging article and the Comments are fantastic... "nailing jellyfish to a wall" may be the ideal comparison ! Back in 1980ish I lived in (what was then) remote Gordonvale, Queensland. The local population, generally considered Aborigines-- not human, seriously they did; and to try and argue was dangerous. At that time Pubs only allowed Aborigines to come to windows in the backyard of building to be served any alcohol. While I do not advocate alcohol consumption generally, to make a population order a product only from a walk up window is beyond racist.

Last edited: