What's new

Dr Lebot's latest papers + some interesting clarifications regarding the acetone test and Isa

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I think some of you might be interested in Dr Lebot's latest papers. Some parts might be a bit overwhelming and confusing to casual readers. I certainly can't claim to understand everything well and I reached out to both Dr Lebot and @verticity for clarification.

Dr Lebot was kind enough not only to clarify some bits, but also provide additional information that might be of interest to those who follow these discussions.

Here's a summary of the key findings and key points made by Dr Lebot both in his paper and in the email replies:

On Flavokavains

Dr Lebot notes that flavokavains (compounds found in much higher concentrations in the non-noble kava than in noble kava) might "present cytoprotective properties and have potential against various diseases. FKA has an anti-inflammation activity and has been found to induce apoptosis of tumour cells and to possess anticancer properties. FKB has cytotoxic and apoptotic effects against different types of cancer cells; FKC is the least studied but has an antiinflammatory
effect."

At the same time: "FKB has also been suspected of being potentially hepatotoxic. FKA and FKB can potentiate acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxicity
and this observation suggested that kava and a drug interaction may account for potential hepatotoxicity. FKA and FKB were probably the major but not the sole compounds responsible for the ethanolic extracts toxicity of commercial kava imported in the USA while aqueous extracts showed no toxicity. The in vitro metabolism of FKA, B and C has also been characterised using human liver microsomes and it was concluded that the absolute amount of conjugated metabolites in vivo maybe even higher than the significant levels observed in vitro." In his other paper he observes that: "FKs have been studied for their potential toxicity, and in vitro studies have shown that they possess increased cytotoxicity comparedto KLs [27]. Consequently, they have been suspected to be the constituents responsible for initiating the skin rash linked to the high consumption of kava [12,28,29]. The mechanism of FKB cytotoxicityhas been described to be mediated through oxidative stress and depletion of glutathione, and this has also been shown for other FKs. When the potential toxicity of the three FKs was compared with six KLs, it was found that all three FKs displayed higher toxicity than the most toxic KL. (...) The occurrence of suspected hepatotoxicity in German acetonic extracts was most likely caused bynon KLs compounds. KLs have been tested in different assays but were never found to be toxic [33,34].FKB and FKA have been found to be potentially hepatotoxic for mice [35]. It has been shown that oralconsumption of FKB leads to the inhibition of hepatic transcriptional activityin vivoand severe liverdamage. FKB has been identified as a potent GSH-sensitive hepatotoxin and it was advised that its levels should be controlled in kava-containing herb products [10]. It has also been shown that FKs are high in the bark of the plant [36] and could contribute to protection against potential predators, due totheir potential cytotoxicity."

He consequently notes that kavas high in flavokavains are more likely to produce "hangovers". In the first paper Dr Lebot admits that the idea of flavokavains themselves being solely responsible for hangovers and nausea (as opposed to it also being caused by the chemotypes) remains a hypothesis: "High levels of FKsin two-day and wichmannii kavas might contribute to the nausea and hangover caused by these varieties, although more research is needed to confirm this hypothesis. " In his other paper, he goes a bit further and more firmly notes that: " HPTLC results are clarifying the potential role of FKs in the different physiological effectsinduced by each varietal group. It appears that the major difference between nobles, two-dayand wichmannii varieties might not be due only to their different KLs chemotypes as previously suggested [7] but rather their very high FKs. Although more research is needed, this observation would suggest that the side effects produced by beverages prepared with these two groups of varieties would result from high FKs and not from DHK and DHM alone [7]."

On the acetone test

In light of the above, Dr Lebot argues there's a strong case to be made for differentiating between noble and non-noble kava and that it "appears appropriate" to exclude high flavokavains cultivars from being exported as food. Dr Lebot notes that the best and most accurate method for identifying cultivars would be "a test for DNA fingerprinting (see VandenBroucke et al 2015 in Genome)" or "morphological assessment in the field". DNA fingerprinting would allow a precise and accurate identification of specific cultivars and could be used by both the exporting nations and importers. In the absence of such testing, the focus is on "the secondary metabolites chemotypes produced by these two different genotypes" (that can be analysed via HPLC, UHPLC, HPTLC). In this context, the acetone test is "just indicating the proportion (content) of non kavalactones compounds". This works because "kavalactones are translucid (or yellow) compounds when diluted in acetone". Flavokavains (but also other pigments etc) would give amber/red/brown colour to the sample. The problem of false positives (i.e. a noble kava testing as non-noble) is, in Dr Lebot's opinion, exclusively due to the samples not being properly peeled/containing parts of stump bark that was exposed to sunlight. Peeled noble rootstock (and roots) "will always look yellow". At the same time, some samples of two-day stumps, when peeled properly, might also "test yellow" (i.e. look noble) due to the fact that most of the flavokavain can be found in the skin/bark. It appears that Dr Lebot doesn't see the problem of false positives as a big issue, in part because in theory (and by law in some places) the stump should always be peeled anyway, so a false positve due to the presence of skin/bark still signals inferior quality.

He argues that his testing revealed that 52% of the variability in the absorbance observed with the colorimeter can be explained by FKs (Lebot's point being the rest of that variability is explained by other colored chemicals that shouldn't be there either). @verticity can definetely explain it better, but if I understood his points correcty, that in reality the % of cases in which it is the FKs that explain the colour is far greater than 52% (about 90%) because most samples are actually peeled (@verticity please correct I misunderstood this point).

Isa

This might come as surprise to many, but Dr Lebot highlighted the fact that it is inaccurate to call Isa kava "two-day" for a number of reasons. First of all, "two-day" is a Vanuatu category, strictly defined by law that lists two-day varieties. Second, it is genetically distinct from Vanuatu two-day. As you know, it originates from PNG, not Vanuatu. Finally, it is also chemically different with lower amounts of flavokavains than average Vanuatu two-day. As a side note, Isa actually became a thing in Hawaii because Lebot himself brought cuttings of Isa with him to Hawaii and plated it for research purposes in the 1980s. After he left some of the isa "escaped" from the university and found its way to farms. Dr Lebot maintains that "traditionally in PNG Isa was very rarely consumed, never regularly, just for funerals .... and consumers are not well the next day, I think that traditionnal knowledge is important". He considers it to be an inferior variety (in terms of it being used as a daily drinking kava/as food), but one that quantitatively (in terms of flavokavain content) lies somewhere between noble and average Vanuatu two-days (not to mention wild kava). In his paper he actually divides kava into: Noble, Isa, Two-Day and Wild.

This is a rather interesting point, because it kind of confirms what we've been seeing on the forums for years. Isa is heavier than nobles, but quite a few people find it acceptable or even suitable for certain applications, especially when consumed in moderation. In this context, it would perhaps make sense to highlight the genetic, chemical and legal difference between Isa and the Vanuatu two-day or wild kava varieties.

Other minor findings

It appears that the previously reported chemotypes might have not been entirely accurate due to lower than actual reported ratios of Y and DHY. As noted by Lebot: "Our findings reveal chemotype groups different than those previously described because wehave used two different detection wavelengths that allow for a better quantification of yangoninand desmethoxyyangonin. It appears that these two compounds were underestimated in previousHPLC studies because they were quantified at 240 nm. "

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

verticity

I'm interested in things
He argues that his testing revealed that 52% of the variability in the absorbance observed with the colorimeter can be explained by FKs (Lebot's point being the rest of that variability is explained by other colored chemicals that shouldn't be there either). @verticity can definetely explain it better, but if I understood his points correcty, that in reality the % of cases in which it is the FKs that explain the colour is far greater than 52% (about 90%) because most samples are actually peeled (@verticity please correct I misunderstood this point).
The R-squared number of 52% does mean that about half, and no more, of the variability in absorbance is explained by flavokavain content. But that does not mean that the test will only be "correct" in 52% of cases. What an R-squared of 52% means is that the correlation between FK and absorbance is pretty rough, but the correlation is still real and significant. It means if you tried to use the acetone test to get an exact measurement of the amount of flavokavains in a sample, the answer won't be very accurate; it will be somewhere in a large ballpark. But in practice no one uses the acetone test to try to measure FK content precisely. It is used for a much simpler classification problem: to decide whether a sample has very high or very low FK content. So although it can only give a ballpark FK concentration, it is capable of distinguishing between two different ballparks: the "very high FK ballpark" (tudei/unpeeled), and the "acceptably low FK ballpark" (noble/peeled). And in fact as best as I can estimate from the 2020 paper, especially looking at Figure 6, the test did correctly classify high (>14mg/g) and low (<14mg/g) FK samples correctly about 90% of the time (assuming as 0.9 absorbance cutoff). I can go into more detail about how I arrived at that number if anyone is interested.

Lebot makes additional arguments about other unidentified pigments in addition to FKs indicative of kava not being peeled to suggest maybe the test does even better. I'm not so sure about that part of Lebot's argument, but maybe. It's interesting and plausible, but I don't think the paper really demonstrates that concretely, since he didn't identify and quantify any colored compounds other that FKs. But the paper does concretely demonstrate that even just considering strictly the ability of the test to classify samples into high and low FK samples, it is not bad at that task.

Last edited:

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Ok So can we verify if my understanding is correct here?

Flavokavains are a kind of ketone called chalcones which is a precursor for flavonoids. This reminds me of that dry pucker feeling ones gets from wine, so that sorta makes sense with the effects of kava. The flavokavains are responsible for potential liver toxicitiy particularly when mixed with a substance such as tylenol. It's also responsible for the kava dermo? Is the dermo and liver build up related? If so I wonder if we should take dermo more seriously? Like, treat it as a very definite sign that one MUST take a kava break for safety reasons? Or are the two not correlated?

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Very good information. Here is a little bit more on the history of Isa and Iwi in Hawai'i- I first came across Isa (labeled Papua, NG Kava) at the nursery section of a Star Market in Honolulu in 1994. Later that same decade Jerry Konanui and I traveled to Hana, Maui National Tropical Botanical Garden and found both Isa and Iwi. The route was like this from circa mid-80's Vincent Lebot research project/post/doc work-- at UH, Manoa planted at Lyon Arboretum...then Hana... . Likely a worker got ahold of it from Lyon and propagated thus Star Market. Then a Hawai'i Island 'Awa Nursery who distributed. No one really knew how it would catch on or why it shouldn't.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I believe that when Lebot talks about "skin rash" he refers to an actual rash/auto-immune type reactions, not merely to dermo. I think the consensus is that dermo is caused by the effect of kavalactones on the sebaceous glands.

In general though, it's worth remember that, as Dr Lebot himself notes, there is more that we don't know about kava than what we know about it.
He actually sent me this final conclusion:

"In general, we have an idea of what is going on (the variety is the key) but we are very far from understanding the whole thing, far too complex and a lot of data is missing"

I think his message is that regardless what one thinks about this or that variety or group of varieties, we can all agree that there are noticeable qualitative and quantitative differences between kava cultivars and the choice of cultivar matters when it comes to the kava experience, effects, side-effects, type of usage etc.

Hopefully DNA testing (or better control at the farm/processing level) is in place at some point soon and we see a greater diversity of single cultivar kavas becoming available. This would allow not just better science (with studies not just on "kava", but on actual cultivars) and better choice (we are all different and it's clear everyone's got their own preferences).

Last edited by a moderator:

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I believe that when Lebot talks about "skin rash" he refers to an actual rash/auto-immune type reactions, not merely to dermo. I think the consensus is that dermo is caused by the effect of kavalactones on the sebaceous glands.

In general though, it's worth remember that, as Dr Lebot himself notes, there is more that we don't know about kava than what we know about it.
He actually sent me this final conclusion:

"In general, we have an idea of what is going on (the variety is the key) but we are very far from understanding the whole thing, far too complex and a lot of data is missing"

I think his message is that regardless what one thinks about this or that variety or group of varieties, we can all agree that there are noticeable qualitative and quantitative differences between kava cultivars and the choice of cultivar matters when it comes to the kava experience, effects, side-effects, type of usage etc.

Hopefully DNA testing (or better control at the farm/processing level) is in place at some point soon and we see a greater diversity of single cultivar kavas becoming available. This would allow not just better science (with studies not just on "kava", but on actual cultivars) and better choice (we are all different and it's clear everyone's got their own preferences).
Thank you Henry! I'm ready for whenever further information arises.