What's new

Drinking occasionally to relieve muscle tension?

Hello.

About every 14 day i suffer from a severe migraine attack. Ive come to the conclusion that it is triggered from muscle tension or cramps in my back and neck. So im looking for an alternative natural muscle relaxant, and kava sounds very promising. But then I read about reverse tolerance..  I dont want to drink on a regular basis, i only want to use it when i feel a migraine attack coming on, about every second week.  Will i get any good effect when using it so seldom or do i have to use it regularly?

I want to avoid any mind altering experience, my sole aim is to avoid migraine by using it as a muscle relaxant.

Also, can you recomend a good strain? It would be most conveniant with a "instant kava" extract, since when i have migraine i need to be able to use it fast.

thanks for your advice!

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
I'm not sure if there is a good instant option of the muscle relaxing variety... it seems like instants tend to be high kavain, not high DHM.

For good old-fashioned root powder though, I would recommend Borogoru from Bula Kava House or Chief's Jungle from Nakamal at Home. In my experience both are very strong in muscle relaxation with very little by way of head effects.

With "mind altering" i mean changing the natural state of mind. I do not use any drugs, not even alcohol because i want to stay with reality as it shows itself naturally. .. But i want to avoid these intense migraine attacks, with minimal intererence.

I mean that i dont want to get high or drunk, more than necessary.

Then again, mind and body are not really separated so i understand that relaxing the body also requires relaxation of the mind.

I really appreciate your input!

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
Oh kava's not going to affect reality no matter what kind you get. The most extreme mind effect that I've experienced is feeling ever-so-slightly dizzy.
It's a relaxing feeling. I like how Adil said it best here:
  (flash video)
"Kava simply does not take you away to another place, at best it's like taking 10-20 cups of chamomile tea."

Thank you, that video and that nice fellow in it cleared it up!

I think i will try the boroguru kava from bala. Or can you recomend some strain from vanatu kava store for muscle relaxation? They have cheaper shipping to sweden.

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
you could take gaia kava pills daily and you wont really notice ,uch effect but it could help maintain you inbetween normal sessions. the pills have helped a lot of people get by the reverse tolerance.

And I dont fully agree with the above statement, depending on the strain if you take enough kava it definitely can alter your experince, especially if you arent used to drugs. I dont drink or do drugs and the first time i drank too much and got really wasted. But as long as you respect it and dont over use it then it wont alter you that strongly. and some strains do this more than others.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
I agree with mos3z. Although kava is mild, it's still an intoxicating beverage, but it's not going to alter your thinking like alcohol and make stupid ideas sound like good ones or make you think that everyone is out to get you like with weed. I would also like to point out, however, that our perception of "reality" is entirely based on the drugs that our brains naturally produce and the external stimuli that trigger the production of said drugs. Drugs don't make you high, they just tell your brain to produce chemicals that it already naturally produces or makes certain receptors fire off; so really the drug itself is just the one carrying the message.

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
Yes, that is the one unique thing to kava that is very different. Even on the rare occasion when i drink too much and am feeling sort of drunk, I can still think completely straight. Its very different from alcohol in that manner, its a very strange feeling that you can feel someone inebriated but can still think straight. Although i had way too much of one strain by mistake one time and it actually started slurring my speech.

not trying to disuade you manneokoko just wanted to let you know that you can go overboard with it. But if you take it slowly and drink a normal amount you should be fine.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Use 1 whole sample pack of Shaman Kava from Nakamal at home. Hopefully it's a good batch but the samplers are cheap to get a few. That'll be your base line. After that, try different instants until you find one close to your ideal.

Thank you all for your input. Ive now ordered Boroguru from Bula. Looking forward to see if it helps my migraine. I will report back here so that other people seeking relief from migraine might find the info also.