What's new

eating after kava

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
On average how long do you wait after drinking kava before you eat/get hungry again?
I find most of the effects dwindle once eating but ive read that it potentiates the effects for some of you. For those people what do you usually eat that happens to potentiate your kava experience?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I don't get hungry after kava but I make myself eat something about 2 hours in, not long after my last shell.
Sometimes I take a small bite of something after shells.
I don't always get potentiation from food, but it seems like something hot and/or spicy does it the most.
For me it usually happens when I've consumed a strong batch, that never really seemed to kick in full blast, then a couple bites of my dinner makes it all start flooding through.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I am never hungry after kava and often don't eat at all - not just from a lack of hunger but also a complete lack of interest in food. When I lived in Vanuatu & Samoa I was 20kg less than now, as I only ever ate morning and lunch with kava starting about 5-6.

For me, the kava always comes on very strong if I have been drinking strong kava then eat. In Vanuatu when drinking in villages you always get a plate of food from the communal kitchen after kava, and many people sit on the edge of their bed to eat, so that when the kava becomes overpowering you can put your plate down for the rats to finish, and crash right out.
If I have a weaker mix then eat then it can occasionally reduce the effect.
I think it is purely down to the quantity& quality of what you've been drinking.

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
I'm still new to Kava, but so far I love to eat about an hour after having some. I like something warm/hot like bacon and eggs, or a nice chicken breast pan-fried in butter with some spices. I would honestly say I don't feel appetite-suppressed at all after Kava, actually the opposite, it makes me want to eat, and if I don't, I get kind of an empty/hollow stomach feeling.

As far as effects go, I have noticed that it seems to come on more quickly after eating, and if I don't, it takes a long time to settle in. I just figured this was due to the food pushing the Kava through the digestion process first, so the body's like "oh! let's digest the Kava, 'cause there's some food on the way..." :p

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
Ah... love the potentiation. Personally my appetite is almost zero after drinking kava, but I eat a small meal afterwards
partly because I need to something into my poor empty belly, but also to potentiate the effects, which happens 99.9% of the
time for me. That final upswing after eating is really amazing and wonderful.

Some scrambled eggs, or a few chicken tenders, something very simple, and we have lift-off.

KavaCat

Meow.
Yes, like everyone else, I agree with one or two hours afterward, for any meal of significant size. I don't use a timer, I just wait until the kava's effects feel like they are dropping off, and then have something hot, and sorta liquid-y. Hot tea works, too.

I've said it before, but it seems like there's a constant influx of new people, so it bears repeating. I actually like to eat a snack with kava- about in the 100 calorie range, but sometimes up to 200 depending on quality of the item (like if I have some girl scout cookies, it's probably more around 200 ::amirite::). I would say the key is to keep the serving of food at about 2- 4 oz. 4 oz is like the weight of half of a large apple, and the biggest snack I would eat with kava. This doesn't impact the potency for me at all, and prevents the kind of feeling that @Jonathan is talking about. Also seems to prevent any nausea for me. Although this assumes your stomach is quite empty to begin with, I don't usually need the snack unless I'm already uncomfortably hungry when I have the kava.

D

Deleted User01

When I do kava before supper, I get the munchies. :hungry:

'Scuze me, while I get some pie. Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Adriano

I get hungry after drinking kava because I don't eat for at least 4 hours before having any. I didn't eat after taking kava at first because of post on here that
said it would diminish the effects if you ate. I finally tried eating, not a lot but kind of snacking and it didn't diminish the effects of kava that I drank after at all. Just the same.

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
Yes that was me. The effects do dwindle (lessen) for me personally, but its because i usually have a sandwich and its not fatty enough and the bread most likely soaks up the kava. If you read the second half of that sentence in the post you probably would of caught on a little earlier because I mentioned how it potentiates for some.
I find most of the effects dwindle once eating but ive read that it potentiates the effects for some of you.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Fatty foods seem to potentiate/lengthen kava's effects for me. Starches (breads, sugars, potatoes, etc.) seem to hit the brakes and attenuate the effects for me.

starscolliding

Kava Curious
Oh, something else I do is to eat 2-5 walnuts after each shell. I think I can actually tell the difference doing this and not doing it. Another variant depending on how my mouth and stomach are doing is dark chocolate almonds.