What's new

expert advice on different grinds

PapaMoi

Kava Enthusiast
I am interested to know how different grinds of kava and textures influence the end result in the grog. Which grind style is the most cost effective? Which makes for stronger grog? Etc.
For instance, kava supreme (great kava) has a smaller, more sandy type grind. Most of the BKH stuff is a little coarser (also good). The coarsest medium grind I've encountered was from kava time. (I love their kava too.) Just wondering what you all have to say about the actual grind consistency of kava and what you prefer and why.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I am interested to know how different grinds of kava and textures influence the end result in the grog. Which grind style is the most cost effective? Which makes for stronger grog? Etc.
For instance, kava supreme (great kava) has a smaller, more sandy type grind. Most of the BKH stuff is a little coarser (also good). The coarsest medium grind I've encountered was from kava time. (I love their kava too.) Just wondering what you all have to say about the actual grind consistency of kava and what you prefer and why.
Personally I prefer a "medium to fine" medium grind kava. The Borongoru from @Kalm with Kava currently is about the best grind of any kava I've had (for me). Small enough that you get a good extraction, but also large enough that the pieces don't flow through the strainer. This keeps my dermo at a minimum with effects at a maximum while also being, by far, the most cost effective daily kava drinking option.

I think kava supreme's grind is specifically tailored to the aluball setup. It looks much too fine for a traditional strainer, and well suited to the screens on the aluball.

The absolute coarsest kava I've encountered was the 12 year waka from Noble Kava in Ashville, NC. Stuff was basically hamster bedding.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I like the finer grinds because I get a stronger grog. Too fine though is too difficult to squeeze throughly enough to get those greasy oils out. I always look for the oily sheen in my grog. I usually only do traditional prep. If I’m not seeing an oily sheen from hamster bedding style grind, or too fine, then I feel a little disappointed and usually start running the hamster bedding through the coffee grinder. Too fine gives me Dermo even though they are delightfully strong.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
It depends on the root. I think you want a grind that is appropriate to the variety. There's really nothing quite like forney enterprises products, or Chris's 'awas, or hand-pounded Fijian waka. Never had Sakau on the rock but that looks like a very distinctive grind, too. Anyway, all good, all appropriate.

PapaMoi

Kava Enthusiast
Thank you krunkie McKrunkface and Kapmkrunk. Ironically I was hoping to hear from you guys BC I know you each have a good knowledge on grind styles, etc.

PapaMoi

Kava Enthusiast
I like the finer grinds because I get a stronger grog. Too fine though is too difficult to squeeze throughly enough to get those greasy oils out. I always look for the oily sheen in my grog. I usually only do traditional prep. If I’m not seeing an oily sheen from hamster bedding style grind, or too fine, then I feel a little disappointed and usually start running the hamster bedding through the coffee grinder. Too fine gives me Dermo even though they are delightfully strong.
Interesting. I would have thought smaller grinds meant weaker kava. This is good news you bring!

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Interesting. I would have thought smaller grinds meant weaker kava. This is good news you bring!
Yes sir! Those are stonger when you knead them in a bag. It’s a but tricky but worth it. Sometimes easier to make a bigger batch in order to have more kava to knead, then save what you don’t drink in the fridge for later.