What's new

Favorite Chemotype?

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
I've been having KWK Borongoru exclusively now for about a month, and I like it, but I notice the chemotype is 241356. I personally prefer kavain (4), which is why I'm so excited that some Mo'i (462351) is coming in the mail tomorrow. Woot! (y)

I've been having the Borongoru pretty much because it's so easy to get one-day shipping from amazon, but I'd like to start branching out and trying some different cultivars. The grasshopper needs patience though, lol...

So, in doing some research here on the forum, I've been seeing all the varieties of chemotypes, and the "heady" ones of course start with kavain, but there are so many varieties, I wonder if it isn't a crapshoot to try to nail down a specific chemotype that really works for me.

My question being, do you have a favorite chemotype, and if so, how did you arrive at the conclusion? Just by effect, or by specifically cross referencing what the various kavalactones do?

August West

Kava Enthusiast
I totally wish it were that easy for me, but I feel there's so much synergy between the klactones, that I can't figure it out. That's why I wish I could purchase a quarter pound sample pack of almost every variety from every vendor. One thing I do know, I rely solely on product reviews on which kava to choose next. Thanks all :)

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
Right on thanks for the replies guys. I'm thinking so far people just go by reviews and personal experience. So far, GHK's Mo'i is my absolute favorite. Enjoying some right now and it's nothing like the other kavas I've tried. Fully awake, energized, clear-headed and calm. It's really an amazing cultivar.

exit stage left
I'm a Mo'i fan too, though I've only tried a few varieties, and only GHK so far. I don't really enjoy the sedated, heavy feeling and Mo'i doesn't have that for me.

verticity

I'm interested in things
My ideal chemotype would be 426513. Because I'm pretty sure I like 4 and 2. 5 is good in moderation, but if it were in the first three that would be a bit much, and 6 has to go somewhere, I don't really understand what it does. 1 and 3 can take a flying leap.

verticity

I'm interested in things
According to @Deleted User's testing, Mapulehu and Hiwa apparently have my ideal chemotype. I don't believe I have tried either of those. Nene is pretty close: The past couple days I've been mixing 3 parts Nene to 1 part Mo'i, which would probably result in that chemotype... I need to order some more Nene, mild but good..

verticity

I'm interested in things
I think my ideal would be 423156 or 423651.

I like my Y high, and my DHM low. DHK is just lovely.
So you're a yangonin man. I don't know it might have some euphoric effect, but also maybe some anxiety--hard to tell without an isolated sample of it, or a 342651 cultivar to try. But there may be a good reason there isn't such a thing. Perhaps a little Y can add some spice.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I like 24xxxx chemotypes, although I would be interested in trying 425xxx.
My brain just seems to reject the majority of the kavain vibe, most of the time.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
I like 24xxxx chemotypes, although I would be interested in trying 425xxx.
My brain just seems to reject the majority of the kavain vibe, most of the time.
Agreed, so far I like my 2 at first or a very close second. Though I must admit a half teaspoon of moi instant in my morning coffee is a nice little extra kick in the get up and move button. Never tried a high 3 or a high 5. I am not sure what a 1 & 6 will do...

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Does any one have a clue why I keep getting over stimulated from kava ? Like rapid feeling ... it's happened before with extracts but this is highly uncomfy lol