What's new

Fiji Vanua - Loloma Waka

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder

Hey kava lovers. Had the opportunity to check out a new kava last night, and so far I'm impressed with it. FijiVanua Kava has been on my list of vendors to watch. This one was sent as a sample for me to try and give feedback on.

Grind: Medium traditional grind:
loloma3.jpg

This kava kneads up nicely. Makes a darker brew but that's to be expected of waka.

Has the classic pungent waka taste with bitter peppery overtones and no lingering flavor after my chug session. This is definitely a multiple wash kava, as the first wash feels like you're kneading a bag of clay indicating more lactones left in the root. Made a thin to medium bodied kava which I had no trouble drinking.

loloma2.jpg

Effects are what I would call a balanced Fijian leaning slightly heady. Slept well, and woke up this morning feeling great. At $44.99 a lb currently it's definitely worth the price. I would say the old root waka is a bit more powerful in terms of effects, but this one gets the job done all the same. No nausea, no excess dry skin. A good middle of the road noble kava for a good price. If you haven't tried Fiji Vanua Kava yet, I suggest giving them a shot.

Last edited:

Crowe

Kava Curious
Kava has been tested, and is a 4-2-3 chemotype with 9.3% kavalactone percentage. This guy has been bringing good quality kavas to the market at really reasonable prices. Check them out.
Just ordered the Fiji gold combo with this and old root Waka. I'm looking forward to it. I have enjoyed the Malo and Vanuatu that I ordered from them as well

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Just ordered the Fiji gold combo with this and old root Waka. I'm looking forward to it. I have enjoyed the Malo and Vanuatu that I ordered from them as well
Be sure to try the Santa Cruz, It's my top pick for the last 1.5 years.

I found out today the Chemotype is 421365

Crowe

Kava Curious
Be sure to try the Santa Cruz, It's my top pick for the last 1.5 years.

I found out today the Chemotype is 421365
I almost went that route. I had tried the KWK Waka at first it was my first medium grind kava. It was ok. But expensive. FVK gave me much more bang for my buck, so I decided to give the Waka another try. Hoping to find a balance between the effects of the Malo and Vanuatu. I started making my grog 70/30 Malo/van and liked the results. How would you compare the Santa Cruz to the Vanuatu?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I almost went that route. I had tried the KWK Waka at first it was my first medium grind kava. It was ok. But expensive. FVK gave me much more bang for my buck, so I decided to give the Waka another try. Hoping to find a balance between the effects of the Malo and Vanuatu. I started making my grog 70/30 Malo/van and liked the results. How would you compare the Santa Cruz to the Vanuatu?
The Vanuatu is a more in your face heavy hitter from FVK, I would place the Santa Cruz in the sweet spot, in between Malo and the Vanu, in strength. I love the Malo but find it a bit weak for my purposes (it's a good breakfast kava :)).

Crowe

Kava Curious
Ahhh. Now I wish I would have gotten the Santa Cruz lol! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Sigh next order!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Ahhh. Now I wish I would have gotten the Santa Cruz lol! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Sigh next order!
At least you didn't buy 10 lbs. ;) They are quite good in their own right. I am glad you found then though.

It's my favorite "budget" kava. It doesn't taste like budget kava..

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I just realized that if your order hasn't shipped yet (IDK), you can ask them to switch it out, the owner is super nice, his name escapes my memory atm, but he will switch it if it hasn't shipped.

Crowe

Kava Curious
I just realized that if your order hasn't shipped yet (IDK), you can ask them to switch it out, the owner is super nice, his name escapes my memory atm, but he will switch it if it hasn't shipped.
Wishing I would have went the Santa Cruz route. The old root waka and Loma Waka are OK but nothing to write home about. In fact I could mix less Malo and Vanuatu together and get a better effect than I'm getting with more of these two. However I don't have the nausea that I had with the other two. IDK kinda disappointed.

Crowe

Kava Curious
Wishing I would have went the Santa Cruz route. The old root waka and Loma Waka are OK but nothing to write home about. In fact I could mix less Malo and Vanuatu together and get a better effect than I'm getting with more of these two. However I don't have the nausea that I had with the other two. IDK kinda disappointed.
I will say this though, it is smoother.

Crowe

Kava Curious
Placed my order for Malo/Cruz today!