What's new

Fiji

kl.juice

I've been eating now foods kava kava extract 250mg 30% kavalactones for a week or so now, but man there's something not right about eating these. They make my heart race hard and fast, my palms sweat profusely, and have all these warnings about liver damage this, and stop taking if, and I'm really not feelin it. They make you feel good and if you eat 4 or 5 you get week visuals and VERY relaxed. I know all this cut can't be good nor do I have any idea what the alleged kava actually consists of. They also contain 100mg of eleuthero per capsule which I want no part of. They do make me curious about legit kava so that being said,

Never tried nakamal at home or drank real kava for that matter so good looks on the posts of solomon, stone, and fire island. They all sound pretty good, but so far no talk about fiji. In the spirit of trying something new I ordered some up. After a lil reading I think I'll go with the 3:1 ratio, gonna try pantyhose as my filter cause they're cheap and look perfect for the job. Using nakamal's video on how to make it. I think I got it figured out, but if you have any suggestions throw em out there.

Probably gonna brew it up tomorrow night after work and I plan on enjoying myself with some friends and music so expect results in a couple days.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I have a cool story to tell about this Kava. Actually, it's not so cool in that it is correlated with a $200 traffic ticket. But hear me out.

I was driving home from a friends house after having a Kava Party. We drank probably about four shells of Fiji Kava each. We were melting into the couch, laughing like crazy, and watching Lost on the television (if you are a Lost fan and remember 3/23/2010, than you know how awesome that was). After watching Lost I got into my car to drive home. A guy pulled a u-turn at the stop sign in front of me and I kind of inched through it. Next thing you know, I was being pulled over with lights and sirens blaring behind me. But le Kavasseur didn't worry, because he was krunked and just rolling through the night anyway. "Good evening officer, I really appreciate your service to society!" Le Kavasseur abides.

This Kava is pretty damn tasty. I'm not going to rave about it and create a shrine to it, but it is beyond a "good" in terms of taste. In some ways, it has a Tongan Kava creaminess to it, but in other ways it retains a Vanuatu spiciness. From what I recollect, Kava came later to Fiji than to other islands, yet strangely holds more prominence in Fiji than many other islands. In that sense, it has a nice balance to it that I haven't tasted in other Kavas. Again, it's closer to Tongan than to Vanuatu, but has a little bit of its own character. It has a milkier color than most Kavas, but is slightly darker than Tongan Kava and lighter than Wow! It has more spiciness than Tongan Kava. Tastes closer to Black Sand than to Tongan. In that sense, it is fantastic tasting and will fill a nice niche in my Kava cupboard. This Kava also seems to avoid whatever part of the stomach Kava has a negative impact on. Usually I get a bit of a stomach ache off of two shells of strong stuff, but this Fijian Kava didn't even make me feel off after four shells. Pretty awesome.

Now, for the effects. Well, it probably does more of the de-stressing than any other Kava. You don't really get "high" in the way that you would if you drank Black Sand or Wow!, but you sure do feel nice and de-stressed. The cop knocking on my window didn't bother me at all. It totally relaxes you. If you are going for what most natural medicine shoppers go for in Kava, than you have found the right Kava. If you are trying to get super Krunked and numbed from the inside out, than you'll probably want to skip it. I'm not crazy about it, but I'll definitely keep it around for other Tuesday nights. I wasn't expecting Fijian Kava to floor me, so I don't feel at all conned. Good flavor, nice medicinal effect, but not as powerful as other Kavas I've had.

I would definitely recommend it to fans of Tongan Kava or other lighter Kavas.

Flavor - 7.5/10

Effect - 7/10

Nakamal At Home "Fijian Kava" - 7.2 shells out of 10

kl.juice

Soo...jus brewed it up, I used 1.5c kava to 3c water for 2 people. If u got the $ here's an idea for u. I used 40 micron bubble bags as the strainer and the consistency is great. After straining 3x I can swirl the drink on the edge of a glass and it falls right back down the sides, no residue. Lettin it cool down now, hit y'all back tomorrow n let u kno how it goes. smells terrible, like mushrooms and bark

kl.juice

the drink is definitely more effective than the extract pills. we each drank about 12 oz over the period of an hr + some cannabis and were left feeling pretty good. a little shadow shifting, very relaxed and sociable. i'll tell you though, as a first time drinker using a 2:1 ratio tastes absolutely terrible. it tastes just like it smells and looks, like bark, mushrooms, and dirt all in one. i'm going to try and make a very potent shot so at least it's fast and quick over the foul flavor. i know people say this is an acquired taste but damn, it's gonna take a long time to acquire.

drinking actual kava eliminated the hard and fast heart beat as well as the ridiculous sweating that the extract pills caused. i can assure you i will never eat those again. anybody else have similar results? it was now foods kava kava extract 250mg w/ 30% kavalactones.

ever since i started with the extract and now the drink, i've been having really vivid and long dreams. anybody else? if you're experienced with cannabis then you know too much before bed usually makes you forget all your dreams for the night. not with kava. i'm on a bad sleep schedule so this has been one of my favorite benefits so far. even though the pills are terrible i've been sleeping great and the actual kava works even better. i often feel awake during the dreams, controlling it, it's so vivid.

as terrible as it tastes i'm still gonna drink kava for now, but in the meantime ima work on makin this taste acceptable cause right now bleeecccgh.

still haven't decided if it's worth it yet because for the same money there are more valuable substances available. for being legal, and something not too hard to make, i guess it's okay but i want to try it a few more times before i make up my mind

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Yes, vivid dreams are a common side effect of Kava consumption. If you really can't stand the taste of Kava, try buying instant Kava such as "Shaman Kava" from Nakamal at Home and mixing it with any number of juices or ginger ale. My favorite is to go to a coffee shop, order an Italian soda with coconut flavor, and pour two tablespoons of Kava in it. It tastes amazing.

kl.juice

Alright so here's a recipe that makes the taste a little more manageable while still getting that tingly mouth and relaxation effect. 1c kava 2c warm water soak for ~30 min. after you strain the 1st time, really work the kava in your strainer, rewetting it with the already drained liquid and strain again. continue to do this thoroughly for 15 min or so. clean out your filter then pour the kava tea you've made back through. bubble bags have worked better than anything else i've tried. let the particles settle on the strainer DON'T SQUEEZE, just let it drain. add 1c coke, sugar to taste (i use about 1/4c for this ratio) to the mixture, pour over ice and serve very cold. any suggestions welcome, cheers

kl.Project460

Kava Enthusiast
To mask the taste of kava, or the ones i particularly dont like the taste of (ie cheif jungle), I use coconut cream coffee mate. It works wonders trust me.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Maybe it was a tad bit fresher?

I've noticed some of my older bags of kava have lost a bit of there kick. I've had the same bag of Chief's for a little over 3 months and it doesn't have the same punch it did when I first opened it. *shrugs*

So how much of this stuff would be a dangerous amount?  I'm totally new to kava (other than futile experiments with  extracts), and I have this stuff now.  I kicked off the night with one cup of kava to two cups of water which ultimately gave me about two small coffee cups worth of the drink for myself.  This gave me my first ever "krunk" though it was pretty subtle.  Then I had about half of that amount (so 1/2 cup kava to one cup water) later, about two hours later.  Now I fee like having a bit more.  I've had a bit of a buzz, but nothing near an overwhelming euphoria or anything.

kl.Project460

Kava Enthusiast
Triskele said:
So how much of this stuff would be a dangerous amount?  I'm totally new to kava (other than futile experiments with  extracts), and I have this stuff now.  I kicked off the night with one cup of kava to two cups of water which ultimately gave me about two small coffee cups worth of the drink for myself.  This gave me my first ever "krunk" though it was pretty subtle.  Then I had about half of that amount (so 1/2 cup kava to one cup water) later, about two hours later.  Now I fee like having a bit more.  I've had a bit of a buzz, but nothing near an overwhelming euphoria or anything.  
There isnt really a "dangerous" amount in my opinion. If you feel like having more go for it. Your body will tell you when your done. Also from what ive herd most fiji kavas dont really provide the hardcore krunk if thats what your looking for. Next time try half a cup of root to 2 cups of water, or just 1 cup root to about 4 or 5 cups of water if you want. That will give you roughly 8 to 10 shells of kava (a shell being a half cup). That usually gives me enough kava to drink for serveral hours.
Once you build a good tolerance you will be able to do half a cup of root to 4 to 5 cups of water and it will feel exactly the same.

Thanks for the feedback.  I guess part of what I was asking is what would happen if someone drank "too much" kava in one sitting?  Would they just pass out in a similar fashion as if they'd drunk too much alcohol?

kl.Project460

Kava Enthusiast
Pretty much if you drink too much kava you will feel sick to your stomach. Ive had 14 shells in a sitting before, as long as you space out your shells to about 20-30 minutes you will be fine. If you chug alot at once, chances are you will get sick.

About 6 - 8 shells (3 to 4 cups of water/or whatever you use) is a good kava sesh that will last for a few hours.
Also if your wondering if you would blackout or something. No I dont think that would ever happen. To sum it up, you can have as many shells as your stomach can take.

kl.r3mote

Kava Curious
i really think its the yangonin (edit: allegedly it's in higher concentration in hawaiian kava, but i'm not sure i agree with that) that makes you feel sick. so yeah, if you accidentally had too much at once it would be all bad =p

6-8 shells is a nice rule of thumb but i drink more than that regularly and have never had any problems. sometimes, when i'm lucky enough to have some, i'll eat paste with my drinks - now that's really the way to go!