What's new

First kava! Could be better...

CheerlessFire

The average stressed-out Asian high schooler in NY
So for my first Kava, I got myself some Koniak. I milled the medium grind of a little bit of it into a fine grind. I put two ounces of it in a Poland Spring bottle,

An ounce of Calamansi extract juice,
Four ounces of whole milk
Two ounces of water.
Shook for 30 seconds, and downed it all.

And overall, it does seem pretty meh for me at the moment. I know the obvious reason- I prepared it rather quickly and sloppily! Pain is numbing somewhat, no undesireable effects. Im more sociable now, to be honest, and less anxious. Some sores I had are numbing away quite a lot, which is a good sign, but nothing too extreme or pow at the moment.

Exactly how much of the potential effects of the kava am I getting with this rather...poor method of doing things?

Im considering moving over to night preperation and using more bowls, filters and strainer cloths, like I see most others on the forum do it. I can say though, its been 15 minutes only so far, and ive only drunken 9 ounces, where only 1/4 of that was actual kava root...funny, I even drank down some root in my mix. Overall though, Im happy it works! ouo. But can anyone who uses it regularly tell me how much of it's true potential am I milking out of it at this rate, and how much more potent would it be if I did it the usual way.

Since my large waterbottle is now clean, im also going to plan to make it 40 ounces at a time, and drink it down a few times over the course of a week since I heard it is pretty potent stuff.

Speaking of potent stuff, this Calamansi Lime extract REALLY does mask the bitter and piney taste. I can tell im drinking something with root in it, but it's rather sweet and not bitter at all. Calamansi Limes are really overpowering in sweetness.

verticity

I'm interested in things
The toss and wash method will give you the full potency, since you are consuming the whole root. I am just concerned about what it will do to your digestive tract. Watch out for explosive flatulence.

CheerlessFire

The toss and wash method will give you the full potency, since you are consuming the whole root. I am just concerned about what it will do to your digestive tract. Watch out for explosive flatulence.
Alright! Will try that and see how well that works c:

CheerlessFire

...ooh.

By the way, any advice on making it more tolerable to drink? Ive never really tasted anything close to this before and my body wants to throw up as I drink it sometimes. Fortunately, I dont. But even if it can be sweetened, any way to supress a throw-up feel? Or rather should i just do it a little at a time?

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I would strongly advise against ingesting the whole root. Especially tudei.

In general, it seems that you are starting your kava journey in a very unorthodox way. You start with the most questionable type of plant, you use the most questionable prep method.. Naturally, it's all up to you, but I personally think you might get a very wrong picture of the kava effects and side-effects because of your choice of the type of kava and prep method.

verticity

I'm interested in things
If you feel like you are going to barf, and in any event, I would strongly recommend not drinking anymore right now, and just see how you feel in an hour or two, and tomorrow morning. The koniak can really sneak up on you. Pacing, moderation.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Expect an hour for full effects, if you've had 3-4 "shells" during that time. For me a shell is 4-6oz of brewed kava. I brew my kava with 2-4 heaping Tbsp. to two cups of water.

I have not tried Koniak, but I've seen the chemotype and HPLC results, and I think you're in for a sedating experience with that variety. That may be what you're looking for, but there are "cleaner" kava varieties out there. Stronger ones too. Koniak is what many consider a "specialty" kava. It's not an everyday drinking one, but for special occasions where you want the heavy DHM effects.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Koniak is what many consider a "specialty" kava. It's not an everyday drinking one, but for special occasions where you want the heavy DHM effects.
I personally don't like this way of describing kavas like koniak as some people may believe that it's indeed something "extra", potentially better than noble kava or particularly effective. From what I've seen and read, koniak seems like a textbook tudei kava. If that's the case, then in my view it should simply not be consumed. There are noble kavas with very sedating properties. Tudei is not just a "heavier" or "stronger" kava. It is a different type of plant that has not been tradtionally consumed except for very rare situations where the user didn't care about the recreational effects. Now, there are some people who like tudei kavas. Perhaps our friend here will be one of them. But in my opinion there are few people that prefer tudeis to good noble kavas.

To be clear: I don't mind people drinking or selling tudei as long as everything is clear and transparent. I just don't recommend these kavas to either new or old kava users as I personally hate their effects and side-effects and because I know that many kava experts and scientists warn against using them.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
In other words, I think that whenever somebody writes that a particular kava that is likely to be a tudei kava that it is a "speciality kava" or kava for "real connoiseurs" or 'kava for veteran drinkers", he or she makes it sound attractive, tempting. A more accurate and honest warning would be: "This kava can potentially cause adverse side-effects and is potentially not as safe as noble kava. It has not traditionally been consumed for by Pacific Islanders". You can then add that many people find it very strong and sedating.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
In other words, I think that whenever somebody writes that a particular kava that is likely to be a tudei kava that it is a "speciality kava" or kava for "real connoiseurs" or 'kava for veteran drinkers", he or she makes it sound attractive, tempting. A more accurate and honest warning would be: "This kava can potentially cause adverse side-effects and is potentially not as safe as noble kava. It has not traditionally been consumed for by Pacific Islanders". You can then add that many people find it very strong and sedating.
Excellent points, Henry. I meant it more in a "use if you know what you're doing" kind of way, but yeah, making it sound super-elite gives the wrong impression and sells more tudei to people who really shouldn't be drinking it if they want to know what kava is really like.

D

Deleted User01

When Koniak was first introduced, the vendor called it a "weekend kava". We now know that the phrase is code for Tudei. I remember jumping on the bandwagon and buying it on 2 occasions. I also remember waking up krunked one early morning and zig zagging all over the driveway looking for my newspaper. :rolleyes: There are some people who prefer Tudei because it is stronger and perhaps the side effects are not as bad as the drug they are replacing. Like a Tudei Hangover may not be as bad as an alcohol hangover. Looking on the bright side though, perhaps you will overcome Reverse Tolerance more quickly. The only thing I fear is that the potential side effects are going to turn you off to kava. I will add one more comment. If you are really a high schooler, then I would imagine your body can bounce back from anything. Just listen to it.

Hey, it's not like you ran over your neighbor's dog! :LOL: We're just trying to guide you on your journey but sometimes you just have to find out for yourself. :D

P.S. This is a very big concern for all of us in the kava community. We are always concerned that someone will get sick on kava and the parents/spouses blame it on "all kava" and go on a crusade to ban it.:eek: Please be sensitive to that issue. I hated to say that but that threat is always lurking around the corner. Just so you know what keeps us up at night. ;)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Everyone here brought up excellent points. What I think you're about to run into is the experience known as "reverse tolerance" where at first you feel very little, and then, as you progress, you begin to feel more of what kava has to offer. Koniak, although not noble, can help you get through your reverse tolerance phase very quickly. If it makes you feel ill, put it down and try another variety. We don't suggest consumption of Tudei kavas, but honestly, that's completely up to you and it's completely your choice. I drank labled tudei kava for a year straight. It eventually made me a complete zombie and caused all sorts of bad health effects. Like @Deleted User01 said, listen to your body. If it tells you "Hey....this stuff is making me feel horrible" then definitely put it down. There's a whole ocean of kavas to sample from. You're just at the start of your journey!

I honestly wish I had found kava when I was younger. Maybe I wouldn't have chosen to "sample" the awful drugs out there that I did. Kava is a lifesaver, and can potentially be your friend for years. I just turned 30 yesterday and regret none of my nearly 10 years of daily kava drinking :)

CheerlessFire

Thanks you guys! I'm starting to prepare it in a more normal way, with 1/3 cup root to 2 cups water, and using a shirt/cloth for straining. It's much less nauseating with less milk now, as well as less calamansi line and no solids from the root! I can't down it all at once and I'm not planning on using it daily c; So far, no bad side effects yet. I had an amazing sleep last night though, and I could actually feel the Koniak effects surging in my limbs as I fell asleep, which is about 3 hours of drinking my last, poorly prepared batch. I hope I can get over my reverse tolerance soon enough though, and I can see that the effects are starting to grow more potent with every dose. I'm going to switch over to making kava like most you guys with cloth filters to use. Tosh and wash is nauseating and inefficient for me though, sorry to say. And don't worry, I'm not going to go ahead and consume it till I'm sick and then blame it all on the stuff. I'm actually a little smart about what I do with anything I try, and I know kava isn't really widespread and any little thing can rock its market a bit, but sdont worry about me going ahead and turning things lopsided down. I'm a little bit confused over whether Koniak is a Tudei though. BKH says its not really Tudei because of a lack of adverse effects (and so far, this has proven true...not feeling anything bad yet) though it's stronger than noble brands.

Before trying Koniak I have tried an extract, and perhaps I've gotten tolerant of that. (I'd rather have Koniak than that horrific tasting extract again)

Thanks for all the advice though! Henry, when I order kava again after I finish up this Koniak after a while or so I'll be looking into some noble brands. Anything really specific for good euphoria and easing of anxiety and stress? Some people in the forum advising mixing Koniak with Boroguru or Nambawan from BKH for really strong effect, though perhaps something new should be better up my alley.

Oh and also, I'm going to make sure to keep things in moderation like I have. Unlike most other people I know, I'm not just going to blitz in and try to kava or drug my way into a sickening but shiny euphoria. I'm watching the forums for warnings and preperation advices from all of you guys, and I always take it into account. c:

And yes, I'm a high schooler. Being in New York and crowded into a school of 5000 people can get pretty stressful at times, and yeah, I'm also doing good things with my life. I'm mainly a strong support for most of my friends, who are depressed or life struggles, even though I'm one myself. I've stopped at least five sui's over the past two years, and if I told myself that my high school life would be like this, I think I would laugh at myself! Why am I even saying all of this? Perhaps it's the Koniak. I think my reverse tolerance is going down, oh and also tea mix

verticity

I'm interested in things
I'm a little bit confused over whether Koniak is a Tudei though. BKH says its not really Tudei because of a lack of adverse effects (and so far, this has proven true...not feeling anything bad yet) though it's stronger than noble brands.
Whether a kava is tudei is determined by the relative amounts of the different kavalactones in it. Those are the chemicals that give kava its effects. Kavas whose kavalactone profile is dominated by the kavalactones known as "DHM" and "DHK" are known as tudeis, whereas varieties where the kavalactone called "kavain" is more prominent are noble. This chemical profile can be measured, and forum member @Deleted User here has done so for Koniak, and unequivocally demonstrated that it is tudei. See his results here ===> True Kava
I'm not trying to start an argument here, I just feel it's important for people new to kava to get accurate information.
Note, in this comment I'm strictly talking about the standard USP kavalactone test Deleted User does, not about any experimental tests.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Thanks guys! Birthday was great. Spend the time in my favorite place....the couch ::couch::

@CheerlessFire You're doing great. By coming here and asking the pertinent questions you're already a step ahead of most people who try kava. Hell, the first time I tried it I ate extract off a tortilla chip and didn't touch it for years after that :)