What's new

First taste of Kava

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
So ladies and gents I received my first package of GHK Boroguru in the mail on Friday. @Skywalker and @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava it was closer to 2 weeks, and i'm in Ontario so no complaints here.

I've made a few shells of 2 tbsp of powder via 1 cup of water. I rinse twice, using a second cup of water to get most of the kavalactones out of it - just like your video Chris. The taste is different than I expected. I only gagged once so far. It is like muddy stale water, pretty much. Not so bad really. I'm having my second shell of the day right now to be honest.

I haven't felt that many effects from it really, although I know that could be the reverse tolerance thing happening. I'll finish this second shell and perhaps make a couple more in an hour or so to see if that makes a difference.

Hope to hear from all of you. Let me know what you all think.

As @Roaddog says...Much love.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
So ladies and gents I received my first package of GHK Boroguru in the mail on Friday. @Skywalker and @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava it was closer to 2 weeks, and i'm in Ontario so no complaints here.

I've made a few shells of 2 tbsp of powder via 1 cup of water. I rinse twice, using a second cup of water to get most of the kavalactones out of it - just like your video Chris. The taste is different than I expected. I only gagged once so far. It is like muddy stale water, pretty much. Not so bad really. I'm having my second shell of the day right now to be honest.

I haven't felt that many effects from it really, although I know that could be the reverse tolerance thing happening. I'll finish this second shell and perhaps make a couple more in an hour or so to see if that makes a difference.

Hope to hear from all of you. Let me know what you all think.

As @Roaddog says...Much love.
Don't be afraid to hit the Boroguru a little hard. I find it to be cheaper, but not as strong. Nothing a couple more scoops cant fix. Its good Nobel Kava, but not as god as GHKs own Hawaiian grown Kavas. Just my opinion. I notice a lot of folks order it. I assume the price, has something to do with it. I find some of the other stuff He carries, to be a bit stronger. I find that the Mahakea, to be much stronger. Much love, Roaddog....

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I agree. I would continue increasing 2 tbsp each time until you feel some real effects. And drink on an empty stomach. You will probably be able to back off on the dose over time.

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
I agree. I would continue increasing 2 tbsp each time until you feel some real effects. And drink on an empty stomach. You will probably be able to back off on the dose over time.
So next time I should go 4 tbsp with 1 cup and repeat if necessary type thing? I do feel something but it's hard to describe. My face feels a little flushed. I do feel clear minded, more than I did earlier today... It's been a rough week. 2 weeks to see the surgeon though, that's my focus.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Yeah. The water won't make a difference in potency, as long as you have enough to knead/whatever/etc. So how much you use is down to personal preference and how thick you like it. (Some people have trouble drinking a lot, others like me have trouble with thicker, grittier drinks).

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
Well i definitely feel something going on. It's different. I can't really compare it to anything I've experienced before but it is there for sure. I will review the Boroguru once I have a few more shells...probably in a week or so.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Well i definitely feel something going on. It's different. I can't really compare it to anything I've experienced before but it is there for sure. I will review the Boroguru once I have a few more shells...probably in a week or so.
Yea, the not being able to compare it to anything else. That's Kava, Its very mystical. Its hard to describe. Much love. Roaddog....

DirTJerz

Error 404
Just got my GHK boroguru today! Took a mild dose and liked it a lot. Also got my instant Moi. I still have trouble differentiating effects of different kavas due to varying states of mind and stuff, but I'm looking forward to some more controlled comparison testing of my growing library. I also have some acetone and test tubes coming my way so I will be practicing my testing technique, and hopefully find out the status of some Fu'u I got from amazon.

Good luck with your experimentation! You'll definitely know when it's working.

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
Well i definitely feel something going on. It's different. I can't really compare it to anything I've experienced but it is there for sure. I will review the Boroguru once I have a few more shells...probably in a week or so.
I highlighted in bold what I'm gonna address but first of all, great choice of kava for a newbie....newbie:p:D. I have a soft spot for Boroguru that aches every now and then which I'm forced to remedy with..well....Boroguru of course.:LOL: Yes I know self medicating is off the beaten path but trust me it's a Boroguru thing...::amirite::

Anyways, I'm glad so many are discovering this root and walking their own path no matter what nuances continue to pop up among the many opinions we all wish to express; so good on you for that in particular. ::awesomesmiles::

Now I'll address what I've highlighted in bold. Kava is very mystically challenged in that I do not have a clear recollection of the "feelings" or "moment of impact" per se. I feel it on an emotionally balanced level whereby it synergies with my mind every single time to create a warm place or protective bubble of either energy or sleep dependent upon so many factors I'd be here all night attempting to list them. :wacky:;) I feel the relief as it's occurring and afterwards or more like the next day if I've yet to consume any kava it's as if I'm a newborn experiencing it again for the first time. All because It's fleeting, and when the stress or w/e begins to build, my mind returns from island time; at which point the "vacation" seems like a very far place. I feel my blathering may only make sense to me after all of that but I sure hope not. :LOL::whistle:

I just love kava...the mechanisms in which it works to soothe away everyday stress. The practicalities of it's history and the deepness of its ritualistic ceremonial usage helps me understand that it's not just "the next thing" but something that must be respected as a very vibrant and alive herb; even after its been through processing. I imagine kava as kind of like my own little piece of Vanuatu or Hawaii arriving to my doorstep every now and again.::happyshell::

Last edited:

KavaCat

Meow.
Oh, I had to go through a whole half-pound of waka, before I really started feeling effects. I never used any particularly large dose, about 3TBSP. I just kept drinking it every day or two. By the time I got to the end of the 1/2 lbs, I was feeling something, and when I got my next bag, I was feeling it, and loving it. :) Take your time, and don't be too surprised if you have to take it all.

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
Well I can definitely tell that after my 6th shell I was feeling different. It was a good feeling and I was mentally sound. I could compare this particular feeling to the onset of mush*rooms, minus the craziness and weird thought pattern. I did feel relaxed and talkative, although i was by myself so I spent most of the evening on the computer. Anyhow I have two shells ready to go and we'll see how day 2 takes me.

Take Care,

Kava_Newbie

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Well I can definitely tell that after my 6th shell I was feeling different. It was a good feeling and I was mentally sound. I could compare this particular feeling to the onset of mush*rooms, minus the craziness and weird thought pattern. I did feel relaxed and talkative, although i was by myself so I spent most of the evening on the computer. Anyhow I have two shells ready to go and we'll see how day 2 takes me.

Take Care,

Kava_Newbie
Wishing you the very best. Much love. Roaddog....

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
When I first started drinking kava, I always felt 'something'. It's just that something was sort of rather neutral, not pleasant but not unpleasant. It took me about a month to start regularly feeling the positive effects of kava, the heady euphoria and relaxation. Reverse tolerance, I think I had it longer than most.

And the taste, you sort of get used to it after a while. I'm not saying that you start to like it, just that it's not as bad. I sometimes use a chaser, a strong ginger ale is perfect. But I don't even use a chaser much anymore with the milder tasting kavas.