What's new

First Time Kava Drinker, It Tastes Delicious.

Horopito

Kava Curious
I bought an 80g bag of traditional grind kava from a local Indian grocery supplier, it was really enjoyable to drink. It was about 3 weekends ago, since then I bought a few more bags from a few brands and just played around with learning different ways to make it.

It has wonderful bitterness, slight fenugreek vibe, subtle, subtle undertones of the “anise” sort of flavour area, amongst a myriad of other flavours. The most pronounced thing that hit me, was a strong horopito flavour, with both a numbing and astringent hit, but not as smash you in the face that horopito can get. I don’t really get the “earthy” vibes that some call it, it’s more of a slight minerally, woody edge. Weirdly, the last two buys have been super sweet honey like smelling kava that is just yummy, and the smell on your hands after kneading is sublime.

So… the horopito… we went for a long 260km drive into the hills and got some horopito to try it with the kava, it was amazing, the flavour pairing doubled down on the numbness and astringency, but also adds a wonderful vibe, really makes your throat feel like all the air runs past it. We went for subtle so it’s not to spicy, spicy, but it was still quite warming and had the beautiful smell of horopito. Yea just perfect, did not take away from the kava taste and really worked to strengthen it.

Tried the blender technique on a few batches, but enjoyed hand kneading more and the process of that. I have a beautiful giant ceramic bowl for kneading that I have had for years. I used folded muslin cloth for the first few batches, and decided I'll buy a strainer bag, great buy.

11/10, best relaxant I have had.

Horopito

Kava Curious
Interesting! Which kava types/brands have you tried so far?
Been buying 50g~200g packs to try them out, and share with friends, just to see the taste variations

1. Yogijis food mart, simple packaging kava packed buy packn'save, Fijian (very fenugreek bitter spicy vibes)
2. No brand (guessing repacked) at local island food store, guessing Fijian (dull woody and bitter)
3. Kings kava, Fijian (very sweet smelling, coats your hand in great smell, astringent more then bitter but smooth) ~Also side note reading the forum on this company has given me some giggles.
4. Taki mai, Fijian (very fine grind, smooth creamy, need to try again for flavour notes)
5. Noka Premium Kava from local Indian grocer re pack.... Fijian (yet to try)

Findings so far
Kneading is the most pleasant and fun
Milk does nothing for me on the few batches I tried that on.
Stick blender is waste of time, kneading is more fun
I really need to try some other countries kava's as most of the buy round town ones are Fijian
I need to visit a kava bar with a friend or two.
Sharing kava with friends is one of the best bits, or watching a movie and the couch getting deeper and deeper.

Kava is delicious and has ton of flavour to explore.

And your kava bags are epic I just brought two last weekish.
~FYI since the start being eyeing up melo melo.

Last edited: