What's new

First time kava users - very different experiences

TheWestern

My wife and I tried kava for the first time a couple nights ago. We used Fire Island Instant from Nakamal, chemotype 426531. I consumed a teaspoon every twenty minutes for three teaspoons, then had a tablespoon for the last dose. My wife did the same, but had an additional tablespoon after another twenty to thirty minutes. So I consumed two total tablespoons over an hour and twenty minutes, and she consumed three total tablespoons over an hour and forty minutes.

Her experience was very positive. She has had more anxiety than is normal for her, for at least the past year. We had our first child, her father passed away fairly suddenly from cancer, and she feels some uncertainty with her job security. She said that all of her anxiety just went away. No feelings of euphoria or intoxication, but according to her she couldn't even make herself feel anxiety. I could see that it was an incredibly positive feeling, to be released from her anxiety. She said it even carried into the next morning, where she felt more calm and at peace.

My experience, on the other hand, was generally unpleasant. I could tell that I felt slightly "altered" but it is hard to describe because I've never felt anything quite like it. It didn't feel good, but also not bad. My cognition felt unaltered, which I liked, because I don't like feelings of intoxication. But there were no positive effects at all for me, and the next day I had a feeling similar to a hangover where I felt a little thick, with a very minor headache.

Neither of us felt any nausea or negative physiological effects. She wants to try it again, since it was an incredible release from anxiety for her. I frankly could leave it forever and never think of it again, but am willing to try again. We both agree we'd like to try a different strain and maybe something other than instant. She definitely wants to chase the reduced anxiety and social lubrication aspects of it.

I read a lot about it before we tried our first dose, but I figured if we were going to try again I should join the forums! So here I am.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
My wife and I tried kava for the first time a couple nights ago. We used Fire Island Instant from Nakamal, chemotype 426531. I consumed a teaspoon every twenty minutes for three teaspoons, then had a tablespoon for the last dose. My wife did the same, but had an additional tablespoon after another twenty to thirty minutes. So I consumed two total tablespoons over an hour and twenty minutes, and she consumed three total tablespoons over an hour and forty minutes.

Her experience was very positive. She has had more anxiety than is normal for her, for at least the past year. We had our first child, her father passed away fairly suddenly from cancer, and she feels some uncertainty with her job security. She said that all of her anxiety just went away. No feelings of euphoria or intoxication, but according to her she couldn't even make herself feel anxiety. I could see that it was an incredibly positive feeling, to be released from her anxiety. She said it even carried into the next morning, where she felt more calm and at peace.

My experience, on the other hand, was generally unpleasant. I could tell that I felt slightly "altered" but it is hard to describe because I've never felt anything quite like it. It didn't feel good, but also not bad. My cognition felt unaltered, which I liked, because I don't like feelings of intoxication. But there were no positive effects at all for me, and the next day I had a feeling similar to a hangover where I felt a little thick, with a very minor headache.

Neither of us felt any nausea or negative physiological effects. She wants to try it again, since it was an incredible release from anxiety for her. I frankly could leave it forever and never think of it again, but am willing to try again. We both agree we'd like to try a different strain and maybe something other than instant. She definitely wants to chase the reduced anxiety and social lubrication aspects of it.

I read a lot about it before we tried our first dose, but I figured if we were going to try again I should join the forums! So here I am.
Welcome to the kavaForums! I am glad that it at least worked well for your wife, especially since she has had this extra anxiety you've mentioned. Also happy to hear you are giving it another shot. Sometimes kava may be hit or miss. I think your best bet is to get a sample pack from either; Gourmet Hawaiian Kava, Kalm with kava or Bula kava House. Those are the top sellers but there plenty of others to chose from.

Aceofwands9

Kava Enthusiast
Welcome! Yeah, I would second getting a sample pack, so you can rule out that the strain just didn't agree with you. I would recommend Fiji Vanua Kava for the sample pack. Any decent sample pack should give you a good run down of heady to heavy kavas.

My other thought while reading your post was do you take any medication or supplements that your wife does not? Did you drink any caffeine or an alcoholic drink earlier in the day? Did you have enough water in your system? Anything like this can definitely throw you off while drinking kava. Just something to keep in mind.

Good luck with it!

TheWestern

Thanks for the welcomes! I do not take any medications or supplements other than a basic multivitamin. I do drink caffeine but by the time we tried the kava I hadn't had a coffee for at least six hours or more. I hadn't had any alcohol in more than 24 hours. I may have been a little dehydrated? I didn't feel it, but it's the only thing I can think of. I'll be sure to drink plenty of water next time we try. I have purchased a aluball, and will get a good sample pack of kava as you both suggested.