What's new

First Time Making Kava from Makas

Darcy Jay Strutt

Kava Curious
Hello Community :)

So I just prepared a batch of “mongrel grog” from some left over makas. I just received my new strainer bag from my recent order from Cactus Kava and wanted to try this out...

I basically followed a tutoriel found on Youtube from krnewman....based on a suggestion from another forum...

I also used a new kneading technique to me: the canoe technique, where in you rock the kava in the bag mostly rather than squeezing it... but I’m sure most people here know this all quite well lol...

Anyways long story short: it worked absolutely fabulous! The kava definitely lacked the amount of mouth numbing that accompanyed the sessions with the new dried root powder... also lost a bit of flavour but not much! I expected the potency to be much less as to correlate with the lack of mouth numbing but on the contrary: it is quite potent having me kicking myself for not doing this before!

This is an absolute must for kava drinkers on a tighter budget like myself!!

I wonder now how many times I can wash this kava? The fellow of the youtube tutorial stated that he washes up to 5 times(!)...

How many times are the people of this forum who use makas wash their material to good effect?

Thank you again for welcoming me into the forum and sharing all of this experience and info with newbies like me :)

Bula

Last edited:

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Canoe method, nice. I have been squeezing my roots until I'm sure they are dry, seems lately my mongrel grogs are not as flavorful as I am used to, looking forward to my next Kava Ceremony. Used up all the dry root last night, so tonight I'll see if I can get a 4th wash out of 12tbsp squanch.

Nikki Collins

Kava Curious
I find that I like using the Aluball or nylon in a mason jar (I use a knee high stocking that I turn into more of a ball) for fresh root and save this in the freezer. Then use the more traditional prep with blending/kneading (for blending in a large pitcher with an electric coffee frother whisk attachment - less mess for me) my defrosted makas to either drink as is, or as the base for my extra washes of fresh root. I have to keep reminding myself that there are multiple ways to make Kava and it's okay to change it up!