What's new

First time report

MaureenP

Kava Curious
I received my Kava order today! I opened the pack and mixed 3 tbsp with 3 cups of milk in the blender..I blended quickly and then let it sit for 45 minutes. Then I blended again a few minutes at a time for about 10-15 mins. I then strained it into a large glass. I decided it up into 4 portions. I had my first at 6pm...have been sipping it. I added a bit of cinnamon and maple syrup to help with the flavor. I'm just finishing the last of it now and I don't feel any effects...I guess this would be what you guys call reverse tolerance..I've never tried Kava before today...I tried the Nangol Noble from my sampler pack..

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I received my Kava order today! I opened the pack and mixed 3 tbsp with 3 cups of milk in the blender..I blended quickly and then let it sit for 45 minutes. Then I blended again a few minutes at a time for about 10-15 mins. I then strained it into a large glass. I decided it up into 4 portions. I had my first at 6pm...have been sipping it. I added a bit of cinnamon and maple syrup to help with the flavor. I'm just finishing the last of it now and I don't feel any effects...I guess this would be what you guys call reverse tolerance..I've never tried Kava before today...I tried the Nangol Noble from my sampler pack..
The kava needs agitation to work the kavatones from the root. Based on what you are doing compared to what I do, I would definitely blend a lot longer and let it sit a lot less. It doesn't really help that much to let just sit doing nothing. Also I would (remember IMO) use water instead of milk and add the milk later (like you would to a cup of coffee or tea). Also before I blend, I heat the water in the micro before blending, because heat helps to agitate the kava (don't burn yourself).

Most of the time you can tell if you're doing good or not by rubbing the kava leftover stuff in your hand (or fingers). If it feels oily then you didn't get all the good stuff out and need to strain/knead more. Also if you made a good prep, you should usually be able to a light "oil slick" on top of the water/milk.

Hope that helps.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
What Hodge said, and also, 3 tbsp is a pretty low dose, so don't be afraid to bump that up. I also wouldn't drink a bunch of milk with it personally -- the fat will slow your digestion.

MaureenP

Kava Curious
Doh....okay technical errors...next time heat water, scratch the milk, blend much longer and use more Kava...I didn't see any oily film on my mixture...back to the drawing board tomorrow...I was just scared of the taste and that is what led to my unfortunate method, lol. Thanks for the tips!!!

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Doh....okay technical errors...next time heat water, scratch the milk, blend much longer and use more Kava...I didn't see any oily film on my mixture...back to the drawing board tomorrow...I was just scared of the taste and that is what led to my unfortunate method, lol. Thanks for the tips!!!
Don't worry, making my first batch was pretty daunting for me. But then it's no big deal after you figure it out. Like riding a kava bicycle. :)

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
When you say "blend" do you mean in a blender, or in a straining bag? The straining bag is key, because you need pressure applied to the kava... lots of pressure, to coax out the kavalactones. Once the liquid is almost out of the bag and the mixture feels like wet sand in there, it's time to apply the muscle. Twisting to squeeze all the water out and then re-wetting and repeating are key.

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
Before attempting to make kava
images (59).jpg
and after
images (61).jpg

The first 4 or 5 times, for me, were disastrous affairs which took thrice the time it takes me now

Last edited: