What's new

Five Years of Kava

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Awesome! I would only have one pound of something there...
You mean the KT surely? It's okay, no need to answer.

Just that...that was the sight which caught my own eye and made my mouth water haha!

The Kavatime gourmet Savusavu Ib I saved a year, opened recently to add into the rotation, is really top notch Kava, so warm and buzzy, very heady too.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Just drank today’s first shell in honor of five years of my personal kava journey! So I decided to look at what I have in hand. The upper right corner is Fiji AAA waka in a 5 Star bag because they don’t use a resealable. The upper left is my only instant. View attachment 11291
We should all have Kava coins - similar to AA coins but in reverse! I consider Halloween 2015 as my anniversary date since even though I tried kava a few days before that night (while everyone else got blotto on booze) I had my breakthrough with Moi microgrind from GHK.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
You mean the KT surely? It's okay, no need to answer.
KT would go first, likely the Supreme would be last, but there are so many firsts there, like the GHK instant :hungry: , boy it would be a fun 2 weeks..

The Kavatime gourmet Savusavu Ib I saved a year, opened recently to add into the rotation,
I applaud your self control, being an addict (for better or worst) I lack that will power. Fortunately kava has no real side effects. ;)

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
KT would go first, likely the Supreme would be last, but there are so many firsts there, like the GHK instant :hungry: , boy it would be a fun 2 weeks..

I applaud your self control, being an addict (for better or worst) I lack that will power. Fortunately kava has no real side effects. ;)
Indeed, discplined and committed I can be in certain regards, but by no means all...

If Kavatime shipped to UK, in normal business times, no way would I have stored it away like a treat which doesn't exist!

But there are so many great kavas out there, it's easy to forget about one...or two haha.

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
That's cool...I can't get me wife to try Kava.
She likes gin and says she won't try it because it looks strange.
I disagree, but what can I do :)
Kelai is actually good tasting. NZKS peels the roots before grinding which makes for a tasty kava. When I got some of the better tasting kavas, Sherri started trying them. She always chases a shell with ginger beer. More ginger than ginger ale. And it does seem to obliterate the lingering kava rootiness.

StevenF

Kava Enthusiast
Kelai is actually good tasting. NZKS peels the roots before grinding which makes for a tasty kava. When I got some of the better tasting kavas, Sherri started trying them. She always chases a shell with ginger beer. More ginger than ginger ale. And it does seem to obliterate the lingering kava rootiness.
Very interesting thanks. I've look into Kelai thanks for the tip :)

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
My wife and I like both heady and heavy. We tend to start with a heady one like Five Star or Kelai and end with one of the heavy ones you see there. So we will taste maybe three kavas per session.
I concur. Except, most often lately, I kick off with a heavy. Like 15 grams Koro in one aluball coming up now, 300 ml water as one nice strong glass to settle me down at this point in my daily routine.

I loaded a 2nd Aluball to follow up, with the very heady Ofa's Tongan kava, 15 grams.

I will do the same there, 300 ml one wash.

Then when, ready, I will shake both balls together for a 2nd wash, in about 350 ml water, for an equally strong and dense third glass.

I feel that I personally need to keep switching and rotating between different kavas, spontaneously, day to day, letting my nose be the divining rod.

Typically a balance of heavy and heady. One day it may be 2 thirds heavy, 2 thirds heady, or 50/50.

All very flexible though.

I would hope to add another 15 gram single ball later washed twice. One step (shell) at a time though.... :)

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
It was finally another 22 grams added, 2 aluballs together:

11 grams super potent Kavadepot Vanuatu Waka. Not distinctly heavy, but surprisingly strong, lovely scent and taste.

Plus 11 grams Bestfijikava Grade A Waka. More heavy side. 52 grams plenty overall anyhow.