What's new

Kava Fact of the Day Flavokavain A has been shown to fight bladder cancer.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Today’s fact is short but pertinent. The quote below goes into pretty explicit detail, but the important part to take away is the interaction between FK-A and bladder cancer. In this study it was shown, among other things, that Flavokavain A inhibited the occurrence of cancer cells in the bladder. The study doesn’t go into detail regarding how much FK-A would be needed to achieve this effect, however it does open the door to other exciting cancer research possibilities.

“Using a transgenic mouse model that resembles human urothelial cell carcinoma (bladder cancer) with defects in the p53 and the retinoblastoma (Rb) protein pathways, a study demonstrated that flavokavain A induced apoptosis (“cell death”) via activation of the pro‐apoptotic pathway (p27 and DR5) and inhibited the expression of anti‐apoptotic proteins, x-linked inhibitor of apoptotic proteins (XIAP), Bcl2, and survivin. Consequently, flavokavain A inhibited the occurrence of high‐grade papillary urothelial cell cancer in mice. Moreover, flavokavain A significantly decreased mitochondrial membrane potential resulting in the release of cytochrome c into the cytosol and activated apoptosis in an invasive bladder cancer cell line T24. In addition, the pro‐apoptotic effects of flavokavain A were also mediated by a decrease in anti‐apoptotic protein Bcl‐x(L), and an increase in the active form of pro‐apoptotic protein Bax.”

Fu, D. (n.d.). Use of Kava as a Phytotherapeutic Agent and Kava-Related Hepatotoxicity. In 1151098983 865446419 I. Ramzan (Ed.), Phytotherapies (Hepatotoxicity, pp. 312-329). doi:10.1002/9781119006039.ch13

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Today’s fact is short but pertinent. The quote below goes into pretty explicit detail, but the important part to take away is the interaction between FK-A and bladder cancer. In this study it was shown, among other things, that Flavokavain A inhibited the occurrence of cancer cells in the bladder. The study doesn’t go into detail regarding how much FK-A would be needed to achieve this effect, however it does open the door to other exciting cancer research possibilities.

“Using a transgenic mouse model that resembles human urothelial cell carcinoma (bladder cancer) with defects in the p53 and the retinoblastoma (Rb) protein pathways, a study demonstrated that flavokavain A induced apoptosis (“cell death”) via activation of the pro‐apoptotic pathway (p27 and DR5) and inhibited the expression of anti‐apoptotic proteins, x-linked inhibitor of apoptotic proteins (XIAP), Bcl2, and survivin. Consequently, flavokavain A inhibited the occurrence of high‐grade papillary urothelial cell cancer in mice. Moreover, flavokavain A significantly decreased mitochondrial membrane potential resulting in the release of cytochrome c into the cytosol and activated apoptosis in an invasive bladder cancer cell line T24. In addition, the pro‐apoptotic effects of flavokavain A were also mediated by a decrease in anti‐apoptotic protein Bcl‐x(L), and an increase in the active form of pro‐apoptotic protein Bax.”

Fu, D. (n.d.). Use of Kava as a Phytotherapeutic Agent and Kava-Related Hepatotoxicity. In 1151098983 865446419 I. Ramzan (Ed.), Phytotherapies (Hepatotoxicity, pp. 312-329). doi:10.1002/9781119006039.ch13
After reading this I went to my archives of scientific papers related to kava/'awa in cancer prevention.
There are LOTS...lung, breast, bladder, prostate, colon.
And nearly as many discussions on what is the major constituent which does the prevention.
Including the overall-- calcium channel-- suggestion.
Where are the big funders in this I sometimes wonder.
There should be an International Kava Institute which would grow the plant and do the research -- all "in house"
to finally answer these "More research is needed..." questions.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
After reading this I went to my archives of scientific papers related to kava/'awa in cancer prevention.
There are LOTS...lung, breast, bladder, prostate, colon.
And nearly as many discussions on what is the major constituent which does the prevention.
Including the overall-- calcium channel-- suggestion.
Where are the big funders in this I sometimes wonder.
There should be an International Kava Institute which would grow the plant and do the research -- all "in house"
to finally answer these "More research is needed..." questions.
Even though kava has an extremely long history, I still feel we're at the beginning of figuring out what kava can really do.

Hopefully I raise enough eyebrows with my posts to maybe plant that idea in someone's mind. If research papers are any indication it seems kava is getting a good bit of scholastic attention currently. I hope this continues and I'm able to write facts of the day on kava for the rest of my life without running out.