What's new

Flavokavain-B: Glutathione, Apoptosis and Reactive Oxygen Species. Safety in kava products.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Kava discussion/fact of the day: Flavokavain-B (aka, what may have actually been one of the causes of the liver issues you see the warnings about )

Today I'm going to focus on one flavokavain, FKB. In this study they fed rats greater than 500mg/kg of pure kavalactones per day for 4 weeks and observed that KLs had no significant effects on liver cells. They also did the same thing with FKB at the amount of 25mg/kg for seven days and found varying levels of liver cell apoptosis.

FKB – Flavokavain (Flavokawain) B

In terms of toxicity, this chalcone has been identified as a potent GSH-Sensitive hepatoxin in vitro and in vivo. What this means is that FKB can cause oxidative stress and possibly cell death due to the consumption of glutathione and inhibition of IKK activity.

What Is GlutaTHIONE?

Glutathione is a tripeptide—i.e., a tiny protein—composed of three amino acids: cysteine, glycine, and glutamic acid (or glutamate). Often called the “master” antioxidant, glutathione boosts the utilization and recycling of other antioxidants, namely vitamins C and E, and alpha-lipoic acid and CoQ10.

There are two different forms of glutathione: reduced glutathione (GSH, or L-glutathione), which is the active form, and oxidized glutathione (GSSG), the inactive state. As GSH patrols the cellular environment and puts out oxidative “free radical” fires, it becomes oxidized and inactive, thus turning into GSSG.

Fortunately, inactive GSSG can be recycled back into the active GSH form, thanks to the glutathione reductase enzyme. When this enzyme is overwhelmed, and too much-oxidized GSSG accumulates (compared to the active GSH), your cells become susceptible to damage. [2]

In short, glutathione is an antioxidant that deactivates oxidative stress in living cells, and prevents premature cell apoptosis.

What is Apoptosis?

Apoptosis is a form of programmed cell death that occurs in multicellular organisms. Biochemical events lead to characteristic cell changes (morphology) and death. The average adult human loses between 50 and 70 billion cells each day due to apoptosis.[3]

What is ROS (Reactive Oxygen Species)

A type of unstable molecule that contains oxygen and that easily reacts with other molecules in a cell. A buildup of reactive oxygen species in cells may cause damage to DNA, RNA, and proteins, and may cause cell death. Reactive oxygen species are free radicals. Also called oxygen radical.[4]

FKB depletes GSH. This reduces the cells ability to remove reactive oxygen species (ex peroxides). ROS (reactive oxygen species) are the chemicals in cells that are created in metabolic processes. When your cells produce energy, they also produce toxic byproducts. GSH deactivates these ROS molecules and prevents them from causing cell death.

What does this mean to the common kava drinker?

If your routine is making traditional kava by mixing powdered root (non-extract) with water and straining, very little. When making kava traditionally you are extracting an excess amount of glutathione along with any other phytochemicals found in kava. If, by chance, your kava has an excessive amount of FKs, a traditional preparation would keep the extraction of flavokavains to a minimum and additional glutathione would negate further action by FKB.

Where is the highest amount of FKB found?

Non-noble and wild kavas have the highest amounts of FKB.

Is there a kava product that may actually be affected by this?

Yes. Extracts. Specifically, ones made with organic solvents and non-noble varieties.

Modern extraction techniques using organic solvents (e.g., acetone, ethanol) yield significantly higher levels of kavalactones (~45-55%), and dramatically higher levels of lipophilic chalcones (FKs) in the extract (~160-fold for FKB)[1] This means any extract run on a non-noble or wild kava will have an abundance of FKs, and due to GSH’s low solubility in solvents will also not have that protecting addition of excess glutathione. The extraction of non-noble types of kava can lead to a product containing exceedingly high levels of FKs, depleting GSH leading to the possibilities of herb-drug interactions and cellular apoptosis or liver damage. This is what is thought to have caused the liver issues in Europe. Due to tudei type kavas having an excess of kavalactone %. Naturally phytopharmaceuticals targeted them for that reason. The companies even went as far as to request specific strains for farmers to grow due to the increased kavalactone content. The information about FKB was not known at the time. The strain requested was Palisi, a strong tudei kava. Organic solvents were run, and the product was packaged and sent to unassuming customers. The warning you see on the sides of kava containing products are a direct result.

There is another totally opposite side to FKB which we will get into quite soon. Studies are showing that although FKB can be seen as a hepatoxic molecule, it also has some really promising results against certain types of cancer as a chemotherapy agent.

Bula!

(PS, it takes me like 3 hours to write these things, lol. I’m going to keep doing them, as the more we know collectively, the stronger we are in terms of keeping our favorite root available to us who love it.)

[1]Zhou, Ping, et al. “Flavokawain B, the Hepatotoxic Constituent from Kava Root, Induces GSH-Sensitive Oxidative Stress through Modulation of IKK/NF-KappaB and MAPK Signaling Pathways.” FASEB Journal : Official Publication of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, Dec. 2010, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2992378/.

[2]https://coremedscience.com/blogs/wellness/glutathione-the-master-antioxidant

[3]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apoptosis

[4] https://www.cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-terms/def/reactive-oxygen-species

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Thank you for taking so much time to summarize this importanty issue.
I hope folks read it and learn.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Fantastic. Thank you very much Jimmy.

One question I have is if anyone has confirmed that extraction with co2 produces qualitatively different results? (Less fkb, more glutathione)
I think @verticity might have posted something about it. I can't remember

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder

One question I have is if anyone has confirmed that extraction with co2 produces qualitatively different results? (Less fkb, more glutathione)
Sounds like you may have just dug up my next Fact of the day ;)

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Sounds like you may have just dug up my next Fact of the day ;)
Fantastically straight put and thoroughly researched information again, full credit.

I just wanted to add that one particular supplement which has been touted as miraculous for boosting the body's production of glutathione, and greatly assisting the detoxification process and liver health, is Gelatin.

But a particular form. Great Lakes make two kinds. Red tub- tegular gelatin, ideally for cook and food purposed.

And green tub- is hydrolysed gelatin, more of a health supplement, and the exact one I'm referring to regarding raising glutathione and stimulating detox and better liver function.

verticity

I'm interested in things

I have wondered out loud about that same question, but I don't know the answer. CO2 essentially is a non-polar solvent not so different from something like acetone so I wouldn't a priori expect it to extract any less FKs, but have seen it suggested that it could be possible to "tune" the supercritical CO2 by adjusting the temperature and pressure so as to make it act more like water than acetone (water extraction being considered safe because it extracts minimal FKs, as well as maximum glutathione which is water soluble). I don't think that is known so IMO it would be best to stick with traditional preparation, but if you must have an extract make it an aqueous extract..

Zaphod

Kava Lover
If your routine is making traditional kava by mixing powdered root (non-extract) with water and straining, very little. When making kava traditionally you are extracting an excess amount of glutathione along with any other phytochemicals found in kava. If, by chance, your kava has an excessive amount of FKs, a traditional preparation would keep the extraction of flavokavains to a minimum and additional glutathione would negate further action by FKB.
So what, if anything, can we say about microgrind/toss and wash? While we would be consuming the full amount of FKs and glutathione can we assume that stomach acid extracts both efficiently to not be an issue?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
So what, if anything, can we say about microgrind/toss and wash? While we would be consuming the full amount of FKs and glutathione can we assume that stomach acid extracts both efficiently to not be an issue?
Well, I was also corrected on r/kava on reddit. I've been told that glutathione isn't absorbed when consumed orally. Sorta throws a wrench in my whole hypothesis.

verticity

I'm interested in things
We can say that tossing and washing non-noble kava would be a bad idea.

Well, I was also corrected on r/kava on reddit. I've been told that glutathione isn't absorbed when consumed orally. Sorta throws a wrench in my whole hypothesis.
Yeah, I think the whole glutathione thing is just a hypothesis. Theoretically it could have a protective effect, but it is unclear if it would have enough bioavailability to do anything. A search of the research turns up for example this paper where they discuss how the oral bioavalability is low but reporting some success with a sublingual form.

Effects of N-acetylcysteine, oral glutathione (GSH) and a novel sublingual form of GSH on oxidative stress markers: A comparative crossover study.

That raises some interesting questions, such as: In the normal process of drinking kava, would enough GSH be absorbed by the oral mucosa to do anything beneficial? Would it be better for you to swish it around in your mouth for a while? Would the virgins preparing it in the traditional way by chewing develop super fortified livers?? :woot:

But seriously I think the net result is still that the safest advice is still to avoid any form of kava that is potentially high in flavokavains, regardless of whether the glutathione effect is real, and that still means that the consensus advice to prefer noble kava prepared traditionally or extracted with water is the way to go..

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Regarding "I think the whole glutathione thing is a hypothesis" @verticity
Yes, I agree but maybe not in exactly the same way.
What I have always understood is that glutathione is richly contained in kava beverage.
Researchers at UM have often told me (annecdotal evidence) that getting a substance from a whole food as opposed to a supplement is complex and that small amounts in whole food go a long way. So glutathione as a supplement vrs. glutathione in food/beverasge (kava) are different and absorbtion may be different...better from whole food.
That said, can someone cite a reference or two which shows kava to be this rich source of glutathione?
We know from Lebot/Cabalion that kava has -- Glutamic acid and Glycine. But where is the cysteine*? needed to make this tripeptide?
All that aside, take a look at the goodness found in Glutamic acid (below)
*Glutathione is a tripeptide—i.e., a tiny protein—composed of three amino acids: cysteine, glycine, and glutamic acid (or glutamate)

Glutamic acid is essentially a fuel for the brain. In addition to providing a direct energy source for the brain to function at a high level, this amino acid stimulates mental alertness and improved memory function.

Because of the important role this amino acid has in cognitive function, some medical practitioners recommend supplementation to treat conditions such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). The belief is that this amino acid will help children with behavioural problems and make it easier for them to concentrate and facilitate a better learning environment.

Furthermore, glutamic acid is very important in the treatment of conditions such as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, depression, anxiety and other mood related disorders. Studies have shown that individuals that suffer from these neuropsychological conditions typically have an unbalanced ratio or concentration of neurotransmitters.

Low GABA levels are frequently associated with severe depression, neuroticism, anxiety and manic mood states1,2. There may also be a link between glutamic acid and aggression, with studies showing that mice engaged in aggressive behavior have low levels of GABA and glutamic acid3.

verticity

I'm interested in things
That said, can someone cite a reference or two which shows kava to be this rich source of glutathione?
I think this paper might be the original source of the "glutathione hypothesis". It states that the amount of glutathione in kava is about the same as the amount of kavalactones (measured via HPLC):

Whitton et al: Kava lactones and the kava-kava controversy

It describes an experiment where GSH seemed to protect amoebas from being killed in a kavalactone solution, and makes some (questionable) extrapolations from that result:

1) That kavalactones are hepatotoxic in general to humans, and that
2) Glutathione mitigates that alleged toxicity by either reacting with KLs to break them down, or assisting in their metabolism.

Mathias Schmidt critiqued those ideas here:

Schmidt: The Pitfalls of the Glutathione Theory

Dr. Schmidt rebuts the above 2 ideas basically saying that:

1) No, there is no evidence that KLs are toxic to human livers, and that
2) The idea that glutathione literally reacts with kavalactones in the tanoa or in the gut to destroy them doesn't make very much sense.

Schmidt does not really address the suggestion by Whitton et al that GSH could be recomposed from it's constituent amino acids after digestion to play an assistive role in metabolism. (I think his letter might have been in response to an earlier version of Whitton et al's theory...) So in my mind it remains probable that the glutathione in kava might have some health promoting effects and be generally good for you, and also possible but unproven that it could specifically prevent GSH depletion caused by FKs..

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
When we prepare Kava with milk and not with water? That's more of it
Yes, the fat in milk could act the same as an organic solvent to extract more flavokavains than plain water would. For noble kava, low in FKs, it might not matter. But preparing tudei kava with whole milk would probably be a Bad Idea..

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
I think this paper might be the original source of the "glutathione hypothesis". It states that the amount of glutathione in kava is about the same as the amount of kavalactones (measured via HPLC):

Whitton et al: Kava lactones and the kava-kava controversy

It describes an experiment where GSH seemed to protect amoebas from being killed in a kavalactone solution, and makes some (questionable) extrapolations from that result:

1) That kavalactones are hepatotoxic in general to humans, and that
2) Glutathione mitigates that alleged toxicity by either reacting with KLs to break them down, or assisting in their metabolism.

Mathias Schmidt critiqued those ideas here:

Schmidt: The Pitfalls of the Glutathione Theory

Dr. Schmidt rebuts the above 2 ideas basically saying that:

1) No, there is no evidence that KLs are toxic to human livers, and that
2) The idea that glutathione literally reacts with kavalactones in the tanoa or in the gut to destroy them doesn't make very much sense.

Schmidt does not really address the suggestion by Whitton et al that GSH could be recomposed from it's constituent amino acids after digestion to play an assistive role in metabolism. (I think his letter might have been in response to an earlier version of Whitton et al's theory...) So in my mind it remains probable that the glutathione in kava might have some health promoting effects and be generally good for you, and also possible but unproven that it could specifically prevent GSH depletion caused by FKs..
You have located some highly interesting information here @verticity
Thank you for posting and commenting. I agree that there are very likely
some health benefits to the glutathione in aqueous kava. I would like
to find more references showing nutritional analysis of kava. I've heard
a rumor that there may be more coming out of the University of Florida
in 2021. Also worth noting that the rebuttal to Dr. Schmidt's rebuttal
comments that toxicity is in high doses of non-aqueous, solvent kava extracts.