What's new

Forum Ideas & FAQ Creation

D

Deactivated Account

Could this be the secret on how to get extra special kava?

Maybe someone should try boiling that kava from Andrew that was really high in Yangonin I think @kavadude bought it and said it wasn't very different but what if you try boiling it?
I did this once. It was a long time ago that i did it & i remember the taste went from your acceptable standard camels arse flavour to pole cats arse. Think I tipped it down the sink from memory.

What I was thinking was getting water to a good rolling boil for an hour or so with some kava & butter in it. That would make kava butter ;)

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Well I tried blending some kava with boiling water (like, 212F. I checked). It had an amazingly sludgy consistency, clogged up my fijian kava strainer, and I poured it down the sink because I was afraid to drink it. Someone more adventurous than me will have to try.

violet

Do all things with love
I've used near boiling water to do my second washes in the blender. I would agree that hot (even boiling) water does little to destroy the lactones, but man, there's no getting over the foulness of the taste. Increasing the water temperature turns it anywhere from more bitter to downright putrid :yuck:.

@kavadude I wonder if that's why my blender kava was always a thick sludge that's difficult to squeeze, due to the very high water temp? Once I get the liquid squeezed out of it, the kava looks like modeling clay.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Could be. I've made kava in the blender before and never had trouble squeezing it out before now.

infraredz

BULA!
The higher temp would have probably caused more saccharides to dissolve and create a more viscous mixture. This has been my experience as well and I've had to use nylons because the stretch was the only way to get the liquid through because it clogged my Fijian strainer that I was using (this was a while ago).

Are either of you using any emulsifiers like lecithin?

violet

Do all things with love
I used lecithin once or twice, it didn't seem to make any difference. I do add a shot of heavy cream prior to mixing, but my blender mix was viscous and difficult to squeeze before I started doing that.

infraredz

BULA!
Hmm, well then it must be due to the increase in solubility of various "stuffs" (due to higher temp) that are making it into the emulsion. I was able to strain the stuff with a stocking, but it was much more difficult than normal but like nemo said, the taste was so foul than I ended up tossing it.

If someone with an iron stomach (and tongue) can stomach this, pun-intended, I'd be very interested in the result!

violet

Do all things with love
If no one else has by January, then I will (when I can expand on my kava repertoire). I should have no problem getting the shells down the first time, can't say what may happen afterwards though.

D

Deactivated Account

If no one else has by January, then I will (when I can expand on my kava repertoire). I should have no problem getting the shells down the first time, can't say what may happen afterwards though.
It's pretty ordinary Violet...froths a good deal also (insert sideshow bob shudder) I used about a table spoon added into 600ml of kava.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Ok, I concur about the review's being moved, so I've moved the reviews to each vendor's page.

@infraredz supercritical extraction is the only thing I've looked into, but decided against due to pressures over 1kpsi which I don't feel safe having anything remotely that pressurized in my house. Although I have been looking at the tasmium extractor for performing butane extractions, but according to Paradise Kava even if I chose to do it 50/1 ratio would leave me probably more aggravated than anything.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I added a bunch of crap that I thought was helpful. I'm trying to not be too political or anything but I think most of what I wrote is generally accepted.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Updated with the latest thinking on boiling kava. Can we get this stickied or linked or whatever?