What's new

Fresh Kava v.s. Medium Grind Kava

Dylan Knable

Country Grits
Hello all! I hope that you all are doing great! I recently ordered some fresh kava from Root of Happiness and I'm curious how y'all prepare it compared to dried medium grind. I've talked to a couple people and the prep method seems to variate. All advice is appreciated! Thanks!

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I'm not sure how RoH sell it - ready minced or whole pieces. If whole pieces then:
There are several traditional ways but probably the easiest manual way for small batches is "the rammer". Get yourself a short length (18-24") of 4" diameter PVC pipe and a tin or sturdy box. Set the pipe upright in the tin (which acts as a mould) and fill tin with concrete redimix. Once it sets you can put precut pieces of kava into the pipe (which now has a concrete base) and use a heavy piece of wood as a pestle, smashing the green kava pieces up.
A blender won't work (in my experience) as the green kava is too tough. In Port Vila the kava bars use an industrial grinder/mincer - so if you have access to a manual screw type mincer that would work too.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
You'll need to use a lot more kava than you normally would with dehydrated dry powder. Like you could easily use 0.5 lbs - 1 whole pound of fresh green kava for one batch. It'll most likely arrive already mashed and you still put it in a strainer and knead it like you normally would. I usually run it through a blender with water, even if it's already mashed and then knead/strain it. I've also chopped up whole fresh roots and used a blender to mash it up, but that's with a strong blender like Ninja or Vitamix.

Jack3

Kava Curious
I'm not sure how RoH sell it - ready minced or whole pieces. If whole pieces then:
There are several traditional ways but probably the easiest manual way for small batches is "the rammer". Get yourself a short length (18-24") of 4" diameter PVC pipe and a tin or sturdy box. …”

*. *. *

I would rather use a 4” diameter section of bamboo. I’m assuming that bamboo is considerably less toxic. PVC doesn’t seem to be as concerning as PCBs or BPA, but still. I’m more confident that Bamboo is in no danger of becoming extinct. I don’t know anything about pesticides and what not. Seems like the risk/benefit still favors the bamboo. I like the island feel it has and thinking it could be carved or painted or both. Maybe bamboo isn’t really more of an island plant, but I still like the look of it and the feel of it.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Jack - PVC pipe is used worldwide as water pipe, so is definitely not toxic. They use PVC pipe in the islands in Vanuatu for their rammers, especially the Central group - Pentecost, Maewo, Ambae. Bamboo looks nice, but when permanently moist inside from daily use it starts to soften and rot, and also promotes mould and bacteria.

Jack3

Kava Curious
Jack - PVC pipe is used worldwide as water pipe, so is definitely not toxic. They use PVC pipe in the islands in Vanuatu for their rammers, especially the Central group - Pentecost, Maewo, Ambae. Bamboo looks nice, but when permanently moist inside from daily use it starts to soften and rot, and also promotes mould and bacteria.
Ah, yes, mold and bacteria would be a problem if the roots still have moisture in them. I would be certainly rinsing and drying it, but I could see it degrading through wear and tear. Perhaps if I could find a non toxic varnish or some type of water seal

PVC is widely used, but so is BPA, PCBs, phthalates, and PFOAs but that doesn’t mean it’s non-toxic. I’m going to have to find out what the Environmental Working Group says about PVC. I haven’t looked it up. I have a bias against plastics of all types in spite of my dependence on them. I have been using a plastic shaker bottle to make kava or a blender with plenty of plastic parts. Chances are PVC is safer than that.

I acknowledge the perfectionism and hypocrisy in my statements.