What's new

Fresh Root Questions

NZdude

Kava Curious
I just received my fresh kava in the post today :woot::woot:

fresh.jpg

I got 1kg of Vanuatu 'Five Fingers' - anyone heard of this? Well the vendor sent me instructions on making it, but I am not sure if other people have a better / different way of doing it? He suggests using half, and freezing the other half. Pour boiling water on the half, and mash it up, then put two table spoons into a cloth and squeeze all the juice out, and keep repeating until there is half a glass.

How much does 1kg (2lbs) of fresh compare to powdered? Because using 0.5kg in one go seems like a lot, although he does say keep the used mash in the fridge for the next day.

I cut open the packet and had a smell, and the smell is quite mild, just like fresh wet outside, or a mild smell of fresh cut grass. I chewed on some, way less than a tea spoon, and the taske it quite mild, numbing, but not as numbing much as micronised or instant, or even a good powder. However, from just chewing that litlle, i feel really really good ::awesomesmiles::. I almost feel like I could just eat a small amount as I have, and have a great evening, and it would last a long time! I have put the packet in the freezer now, as I have to work, but lookforward to trying it properly tonight.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Kava farmers have told me 1 pound of fresh for one session. Did you buy that locally ? I'll be interested to hear your experience with it.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Kava is not recommended to reach a temperature above 140 Degrees F. No shit, that's fresh huh? like, is it a bit moist? Please keep us posted. You have effectively peaked @shakas , and myselfs curiosity. I find it interesting how small the pack is. Did you receive it in a little Styrofoam cooler in a box, with some frozen bags around it? How did you get fresh? Much love. Roaddog....

NZdude

Kava Curious
Kava farmers have told me 1 pound of fresh for one session. Did you buy that locally ? I'll be interested to hear your experience with it.
Yep from Bay of Islands New Zealand. I'll post a review on it once I have tried it. Wow 1lb per session, that's like only 50g of root.

NZdude

Kava Curious
Kava is not recommended to reach a temperature above 140 Degrees F. No shit, that's fresh huh? like, is it a bit moist? Please keep us posted. You have effectively peaked @shakas , and myselfs curiosity. Much love. Roaddog....
Yep - very moist, like a thick smoothy :hungry:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I usually divide out a 1/4 lb and use 2 cups of water. Gives a stronger beverage without ruining that stupidly excellent flavor.

NZdude

Kava Curious
Kava is not recommended to reach a temperature above 140 Degrees F. No shit, that's fresh huh? like, is it a bit moist? Please keep us posted. You have effectively peaked @shakas , and myselfs curiosity. I find it interesting how small the pack is. Did you receive it in a little Styrofoam cooler in a box, with some frozen bags around it? How did you get fresh? Much love. Roaddog....
Sorry i realised i didnt reply to you properly. I received it in a regular plastic courier bag - it only came from about 1 hour away. By the time it reached me, it was cold and softish. I got it from http://kava.co.nz/ and I suppose he brought it back in his suitcase, or shipped it over. Vanuatu is only about 3.5 or 4 hours from NZ, so that's time enough for it to stay almost frozen.

I can tell you that it takes about 5 pounds of fresh root to make 1 pound of dry root.
This is how we make the fresh root in Hawaii-----

Aloha nui loa.

Chris
Thanks Chris, looks like 1lb is the standard to use with fresh root.

NZdude

Kava Curious
Well yesterday i tried it, and i didnt have good results. i decided to use 1/3 of the kg, instead of the reccomended half. Then I ate a really big late lunch at about 5pm, and after thought, oh no what have i done, i wanted to start drinking it at about 8. Well i waited to nearly 10pm, but still felt really bloated. This has happened to me before with a known strong kava, and i got little results. So i drank the fresh kava juice, and it looks like kava, but smells and tastes like celery and lettuce through a juicer. A felt a little relaxed, and good but thats all. So i took the used kava, and kneaded it for 10 mins, and drunk that. This helped, but really it was quite a weak experience.

This morning, i kneaded the same left over kava for the third time, and got quite good results, no sleepy sedation, which was great for daytime.

So i will have to try again. i think i will make all the rest of the kava in one go, and hopefully save some for the next day. I dont want to just have it any time, as it is so expensive, so i will wait until a nice sat or fri night. But for now it remains in my freezer.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Fresh kava, for me, is a daytime thing. I personally wouldn't drink it for sedation because the kavain tends to stand out in fresh. It could be because I've only had fresh Hawaiian kava.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Fresh kava, for me, is a daytime thing. I personally wouldn't drink it for sedation because the kavain tends to stand out in fresh. It could be because I've only had fresh Hawaiian kava.
+1
That pretty well describes my experience with the one time I've tried fresh (so far).