What's new

Kava Preparation Frozen makas prep

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Hi there! I’m slowly storing up a lot of frozen makas that have gone through two or three washes.

I know some people do quite a lot of washes, but you have to use a lot of root. Kneading a huge wad of root sounds really difficult! Would popping it in the blender before kneading get the most out of it?

Also I saw on a YouTube kava song music video where these guys had a HUGE paint bucket full of kava and they were serving it with a ladle. How in the heck did they knead up that much kava?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Kneading a huge wad of root sounds really difficult!
Only until you've done it the first time. Stuff practically kneads itself. The grog just jumps out of the makas. I'm serious. Here's the skinny:

Make sure you have enough. 2 cups worth of dry grind, which will be a lot more wet makas.

Thaw it.

Put it in a big bag.

Soak that in a bowl with 1/2 gallon of hot tap water for 10 minutes before kneading.

Then just knead, you can even knead gently and it will only take 5 minutes to get that third wash. It will produce 1/2 gallon of grog plus one or even 2 more cups.

Then you can do it again with 4 cups of hot tap water but it will take 10 minutes of kneading, but again, this is not hard to do, it's easy kneading.

Next wash 2.5 cups hot water. Next one 1.5 cups hot water. And then, if you feel lucky punk, go for one more with 1 cup of hot water, and join the elite freaks on the cutting edge. Or not, it's cool either way.

Have fun, and Bula!

tastes better with ice and a bombilla.....

Last edited:

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Totally blend that ish. Just be sure to soften it and bust it up first. I killed a ninja once with a large lump of frozen makas.

Frozen makas is basically pyekrete.

Tholman

Kava Curious
Only until you've done it the first time. Stuff practically kneads itself. The grog just jumps out of the makas. I'm serious. Here's the skinny:

Make sure you have enough. 2 cups worth of dry grind, which will be a lot more wet makas.

Thaw it.

Put it in a big bag.

Soak that in a bowl with 1/2 gallon of hot tap water for 10 minutes before kneading.

Then just knead, you can even knead gently and it will only take 5 minutes to get that third wash. It will produce 1/2 gallon of grog plus one or even 2 more cups.

Then you can do it again with 4 cups of hot tap water but it will take 10 minutes of kneading, but again, this is not hard to do, it's easy kneading.

Next wash 2.5 cups hot water. Next one 1.5 cups hot water. And then, if you feel lucky punk, go for one more with 1 cup of hot water, and join the elite freaks on the cutting edge. Or not, it's cool either way.

Have fun, and Bula!

tastes better with ice and a bombilla.....
Because of you, I want a bombilla and yerba mate now. Sipping on a bombilla sounds absolutely smashing. It's like a pipe, but for drinks. I guess I've thought about yerba but you probably pushed me over the edge.

Also, your posts are TOP NOTCH. I'll leave it at that.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Because of you, I want a bombilla and yerba mate now. Sipping on a bombilla sounds absolutely smashing. It's like a pipe, but for drinks. I guess I've thought about yerba but you probably pushed me over the edge.

Also, your posts are TOP NOTCH. I'll leave it at that.
Ikr? Great instructor. Thanks guys! I’ll have enough makas built up to try it both ways soon. Party like it’s 2018 or something.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I have a $20 Oster blender, I am not kind to it, just this morning I dumped 6tbs of frozen 1st wash Squanch with about 3 cups of hot water, I let it blend on a low setting and occasionally do high speed bursts. I never had a problem with it and the blender works just fine.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Really? You killed a ninja...that is impressive. I have not been kind to mine and it still slices and dices like....well a ninja. Thing rocks!
The splined shaft that the blades stick onto was the only part that failed. Couldn't find any spare parts that weren't being sold at extortionist prices, as it was an older model blender.

Then just last week I found a local store clearancing out the very same model. Whole Ninjas for $45. So now my empire of dirt includes a spare of everything, except for that one broken dingus at the bottom of the pitcher.

Keep your blender full of ice.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I have a $20 Oster blender, I am not kind to it, just this morning I dumped 6tbs of frozen 1st wash Squanch with about 3 cups of hot water, I let it blend on a low setting and occasionally do high speed bursts. I never had a problem with it and the blender works just fine.
Well darn, if Krunky is on to doing the frozen maka dance I got to get off my ass and try this method. Although I am not sure how my wife will take to me taking up more fridge/freezer space with my kava habit. I might use the super cold downstairs freezer for this. Really break open those cell walls. Let the KL free!

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Well darn, if Krunky is on to doing the frozen maka dance I got to get off my ass and try this method. Although I am not sure how my wife will take to me taking up more fridge/freezer space with my kava habit. I might use the super cold downstairs freezer for this. Really break open those cell walls. Let the KL free!
I am dabbling in frozen makas prep. I have been saving first aluball washes in ziplocks in the freezer and they are starting to accumulate. It looks like I am preserving the contents of my sons diapers in there.

I messed up my prep the other day. I want to speed up the thawing so put the frozen stuff on the stove top in some water. I intended to gently warm, but it accidentally boiled while I was distracted with other things. It was a nasty sludge and the whole kitchen stunk of kava. I was tempted to just chuck it, but I did let it cool down and made it into some grog. It was a very thick and oily mess and I was kind of afraid of it. But, it was ok for effects, and just a bit more bitter and gross to drink.

Long story short, don’t boil. Not worth it.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I am dabbling in frozen makas prep. I have been saving first aluball washes in ziplocks in the freezer and they are starting to accumulate. It looks like I am preserving the contents of my sons diapers in there.

I messed up my prep the other day. I want to speed up the thawing so put the frozen stuff on the stove top in some water. I intended to gently warm, but it accidentally boiled while I was distracted with other things. It was a nasty sludge and the whole kitchen stunk of kava. I was tempted to just chuck it, but I did let it cool down and made it into some grog. It was a very thick and oily mess and I was kind of afraid of it. But, it was ok for effects, and just a bit more bitter and gross to drink.

Long story short, don’t boil. Not worth it.
That sounds like my first attempts at making my own beer. I overboiled some wort and it got all down inside the stove. Smelled like ass for days. My wife didn't bat an eye when I bought an outside burner the next week...

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
One thing I'll never figure out: kava is about as chill a root as you could ever get, yet everyone is in a rush for everything. Overnight delivery, who has the fastest delivery, can't wait for things to thaw, can't wait for a prep that takes too long, etc etc. Seems almost inimicable, though not necessarily inimical, to the spirit of the root (not TM, not yet, anyway).

Here's what you gotta do: drink kava and wait while makas accumulate in the freezer till you have enough to make this worthwhile, could take weeks or if you drink as much kava as we do, 2 or 3 days. Then take it out to thaw and wait for it to thaw. You could do this in the morning so it's ready for when you come home from work or thaw it overnight for a cheery breakfast, those take 8 hours or so or let it thaw in the fridge for 24 hrs. Either way, wait for it to thaw. Then when it is in the bag, soak in hot tap water for 10 minutes while-U-wait before kneading for a paltry 5 minutes.

Patience patience patience. It'll be worth it.

I hate to think of when people stuck frozen makas in their nice blenders and it rectum.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Wait for it to thaw out? Are you crazy man, I want my frothy grog 2 minutes ago. No time to waste, I will keep blending it frozen, thank you very much. :ROFLMAO:

My patience kicks in after the first couple shells went down the hatch. ;)

If it crushes ice, it will crush frozen kava...

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
You called it @Krunkie McKrunkface , I am very impatient. Although with this batch, I did both blend and then kneaded the batch for five minutes. It was actually pretty disappointing! Not enough saved up makas perhaps. It was a little over two cups worth. I’ll save double next time.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Wait for it to thaw out? Are you crazy man, I want my frothy grog 2 minutes ago. No time to waste, I will keep blending it frozen, thank you very much. :ROFLMAO:

My patience kicks in after the first couple shells went down the hatch. ;)

If it crushes ice, it will crush frozen kava...
My patience also kicks in after the first shell or two.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
You called it @Krunkie McKrunkface , I am very impatient. Although with this batch, I did both blend and then kneaded the batch for five minutes. It was actually pretty disappointing! Not enough saved up makas perhaps. It was a little over two cups worth. I’ll save double next time.
two cups of dry grind, which will be a lot more in wet makas, made with 8 cups of hot water should make some decent grog, at the very least average strength, like what they sell in North American nakamals, if not better. Of course, wet makas, which is very rehydrated medium grind, will have much more volume than dry grind. So two cups worth of dry grind, by the time it gets to accumulate freezer makas for a big third wash, will be a lot more than 2 cups

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
One thing I'll never figure out: kava is about as chill a root as you could ever get, yet everyone is in a rush for everything. Overnight delivery, who has the fastest delivery, can't wait for things to thaw, can't wait for a prep that takes too long, etc etc. Seems almost inimicable, though not necessarily inimical, to the spirit of the root (not TM, not yet, anyway).

Here's what you gotta do: drink kava and wait while makas accumulate in the freezer till you have enough to make this worthwhile, could take weeks or if you drink as much kava as we do, 2 or 3 days. Then take it out to thaw and wait for it to thaw. You could do this in the morning so it's ready for when you come home from work or thaw it overnight for a cheery breakfast, those take 8 hours or so or let it thaw in the fridge for 24 hrs. Either way, wait for it to thaw. Then when it is in the bag, soak in hot tap water for 10 minutes while-U-wait before kneading for a paltry 5 minutes.

Patience patience patience. It'll be worth it.

I hate to think of when people stuck frozen makas in their nice blenders and it rectum.[/QUOTE
What you have to appreciate is that for some of us, nothing chill is happening until we get our kava, hence the urgency. With two little ones, it is actually a monumental undertaking to come up with 10 minutes to have my hands submerged in grog. This also why the aluball is a godsend!

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
I don't mind waiting, it's the kneading that's no fun when your hands are sore and cut up.

Eight minutes in the Ninja on high speed, per wash, minimum. That's when I put on headphones and get the kava music queued up. The cats also know the sound of the blender means they'll soon have a mellow lap to sit on.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Something weird happened to my reply to krunkie, so here goes again:

What you have to appreciate is that for some of us, nothing chill is happening until we get our kava, hence the urgency. With two little ones, it is actually a monumental undertaking to come up with 10 minutes to have my hands submerged in grog. This also why the aluball is a godsend!