What's new

Powdered Kava Review Fu'u

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I really want to like Fu'u, I really do. It has a great smell to it, an incredibly mild taste for kava, and by all reports has a stimulating, uplifting effect.

However, even with the newer, coarser grind (as of Sept 2013), I find that this kava gives me incredible nausea immediately after drinking it. It goes away after a minute or two, but it's very unpleasant. I have to drink it very carefully, allowing the sediment to settle to the bottom and drinking most of the liquid. I normally drink kava out of a giant 20oz cup, and drink all of the sediment without any problems.

4 tablespoons produced a mild mood increase and a floaty sort of feeling.

Personally, I cannot recommend Fu'u because of the very fine grind. I encourage you to try it on your own and see if you can tolerate the grind. I can't, so I'll be sticking to other kavas from now on.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Totally. I got the smallest bag I could purchase, saw the grind, and it's still in the mailer envelope. Forum raffle? I really want this stuff to be boroguru grind.

infraredz

BULA!
Indeed, I agree on everything. I really want to be able to love the Fu'u and use it as a daily addition to my Boroguru and Namba/guru but I just can't strain out all that particulate. Even with 2 nylon stockings doubled up it gave me more sediment than I get from any other kava strained with 1 nylon.

However, the taste is great, the effects are very nice... but the side effects just aren't worth it (I also got really bad skin issues [the dermopathy] immediately after using it). If there was a Boroguru sized grind of this, I'd be all over it, but it's just too fine for me.

That being said however, because of it's mild taste and fine grind, I was able to give it to a fellow student I met in class and he has been tossing and washing it for about 4 days now and seems to be breaking through the reverse tolerance. The taste is an important factor here, as well as the fine grind. What we both (and maybe others) dislike about the grind may be of benefit to others. It seems I might have created a new kava love with it. Since I couldn't use it, I gave him my almost full 1/2 kg and he's been working through it and seems to be enjoying it so far. He's going to order some more in fact.

P

pjim

I double-nyloned it too. Worked great. If you're able to let the finely ground powder soak a little longer, the stuff enlarges as it absorbs the water and kneads quite well.