What's new

Gorgor vs boroguru

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I have seen a couple of people say that boroguru and Gorgor are the same strain is it true? What about boronguru or borogu?

Crunked

Proselytizer
On Pentecost "Borogu is called borogoru in the north of the island and gorogoro in the south." Lebot, Pacific Elixir. Neither Borongoru or Boronguru are mentioned as a variety in his book, but see this post.

Last edited:

Szafirek

Kava Curious
My understanding of bor/gor varieties:

There are 3 varieties:

1) Boro( n)goru (heavy):
Hemotype 24

2) Borogu (balanced):
Very characteristic taste - very pepper, difficult for many people

3) Gorgor (heady):
(Personally, I haven't tried it yet) Description from ArtOfKava - "The taste is smooth and easy drinking.", "It's a bit heavier than our kelai but has similar euphoric effect and nice body relaxation."

We can find many more variants of these names. This is due to the fact that on Vanuatu itself they can appear in various variants and the fact that these names are not easy to remember by people outside of Vanuatu and thus distorted.

They probably all look the same and are therefore considered to be one. In this atlas (link) they appear on one page with common photos. Probably the terms bor/gor have meaning related to appearance features. Any of you know what they mean?

In this Vanutu kava list (link) there are 3: Borogoru, Borogu, Gorgor. Which seems to confirm my opinion.

Last edited:

Crunked

Proselytizer
Szafirek, thanks for the links. It looks like the the relevant line in the 'Vanuatu kava list link' is "The following list is non-exhaustive and includes examples of vernacular terms used to describe some Noble varieties in the various regions". This is consistent with Lebot's commentary that the same botanical variety may be known by different names in different areas, even on the same island.

Szafirek

Kava Curious
Varieties can be named crosswise, e.g. variety1 in placeA Borongoru in placeB Borogu, variety2 in placeC Borogu.

For me, KWK Borongoru and KWK Borogu are definitely two different varieties - a different effects, taste, color. AoK Gorgor in his description also differs significantly from the two previously mentioned.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Varieties can be named crosswise, e.g. variety1 in placeA Borongoru in placeB Borogu, variety2 in placeC Borogu.

For me, KWK Borongoru and KWK Borogu are definitely two different varieties - a different effects, taste, color. AoK Gorgor in his description also differs significantly from the two previously mentioned.
Just a quick note -- Borongoru is what the plant is called in the village that we buy from on Pentecost. Borogu and Borongoru are definitely different varieties, though!

Last edited: