What's new

Got an infected bug bite......

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
With a nasty red streak coming from it. Doctor drew a line around it to see if it gets bigger. I'm on 10 days of antibiotics doxycycline -which is the only one I can take. Also upped my dose of diazepam to 2mg after tapering down to 1 mg because anxiety was high due to bite. My question is - anyone know if it's safe to take doxy with kava? Only taking a small shell in the evening. But kinda scared to be taking so much stuff! :(Any recommendations appreciated!

prelohded

Kava Curious
There probably isn't a documented or official answer to your question. I'm a kava noob so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I know certain types of antibiotics will inhibit your livers ability to process the toxins in alcohol, but I don't know if that has anything even remotely to do with kava consumption. Even so drinking alcohol on those antibiotics will most likely lead to a worse hangover in a worse case scenario. I would say if you are concerned ask your doctor or just refrain from kava for a week or so. Coincidentally I just made a post asking a similar question about kava and drug interactions.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
It's really a big unknown, if doxycycline utilized certain liver enzymes it could be bad, low dose would be key.
One story isn't enough to base your judgement on, but, Doug the @Kavasseur was taking Doxy while in the peace corps in the south pacific and drank kava daily with it...to no ill effect.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Thanks guys. Definitely won't be opening the red wine any time soon! And as I'm super-sensitive to all meds, I'll sadly and reluctantly leave the kava alone until the ten days are done. Meh. Perhaps I might pop a kava candy once in a while!

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
With a nasty red streak coming from it. Doctor drew a line around it to see if it gets bigger. I'm on 10 days of antibiotics doxycycline -which is the only one I can take. Also upped my dose of diazepam to 2mg after tapering down to 1 mg because anxiety was high due to bite. My question is - anyone know if it's safe to take doxy with kava? Only taking a small shell in the evening. But kinda scared to be taking so much stuff! :(Any recommendations appreciated!
Doxy eh? Does the doc suspect Lyme disease? If so, that can be really nasty.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
Got bitten by some kind o' bug a few years back. I developed what looked like a mosquito bite on my lower
back, but it was about 6 INCHES ACROSS. The middle became necrotic. Not good. I spiked a fever from it too.

Went to the doc, who called in 4 or 5 other docs to look at it. They were all astounded, and stumped.

Doc put me on doxy. Strong stuff. My stomach hurt for 12 days. Worked though!

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Dang - you're all scaring me! I need kava now!
Doc didn't mention Lyme disease. Well actually I went to CVS minute clinic so it was a nurse practitioner. But I'm 99%sure it isn't. The bite was on my lower back and I got it the night I slept nekkid as it was so hot!
Looked like a regular mosquito bite for a couple of days and then a streak developed - about 3" long and maybe 1/2 inch wide. But no itching, no pain. Due to severe allergies to most antibiotics doxy is the only one I can probably take. Doing ok so far but only about 2 days in. Rash looking better but it could be just wishful thinking. Glad to hear the doxy worked, @VictoryRider. Bite sounded nasty.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
No worries @kilakila. I'm sure it will be fine. If I were me, I'd skip the kava until the doxy run is done. Maybe a shell or 2 won't hurt and would take the edge off though!

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
So I'm allergic to doxy too! Either that or was in desperate need of kava! Got severe headache, dizziness, itching and beginning of a rash. Stopped doxy immediately and doc advised a z-pak (which I've never had before). Went to pharmacy and asked pharmacist her opinion. She looked at the bite and rash extending from it (getting better) and in her opinion it was definitely not infected! Just irritated probably because it was right where my jeans waistline falls. And wearing my workout gear and working out in hot weather didn't help. Sometimes the simplest explanation........ Anyway my distrust in doctors (other than for emergencies and trauma) has once again been reaffirmed! Not going to take the z-pak. Time to whip up a few shells - woohoo!!!!

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
That's good news!

One thing I forgot to mention: when my gargantuan bite was at its worst, I took a lot of benadryl. That actually helped quite a bit.
I would definitely not do kava and benadryl at the same time though -- talk about a knock-out punch!

Status
Not open for further replies.