What's new

Greetings!

B

bzfgt

Hi, I'm new here and haven't actually tried real Kava yet, although I have some on order from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava. I did take some capsules, "Now" brand, 225 mg. and 30% kavalactones. I get a speedy, jittery effect from it. Has this happened to anyone else, either with the pills or the juice? I haven't seen anyone saying anything like that on the forum.

The thing is, I get a kind of reverse effect from things like Vicodin and Oxycodone--I cannot sleep at all after taking such things. I wouldn't have thought Kava was chemically similar enough, but I may just be wired to get an upper effect off downers...

B

bzfgt

PS: I took 8 capsules of the Now stuff, since I figured it would be pretty weak stuff (and it indeed isn't all that strong). I haven't drank coffee for almost 15 years because it started to mess me up, but the effect is similar to what I'd imagine most people get from too much coffee, kind of wiry and jittery.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
You know what let me Be the first to say
wellcome.jpg
To the kava Forums. With that said, I believe the capsules are pretty useless. Well maybe not useless, but not very effective. Ground root, is really the way to go in judging Kavas effects. Hope that helps. Much love. Roaddog....

Roaddog

Kava Who?
PS: I took 8 capsules of the Now stuff, since I figured it would be pretty weak stuff (and it indeed isn't all that strong). I haven't drank coffee for almost 15 years because it started to mess me up, but the effect is similar to what I'd imagine most people get from too much coffee, kind of wiry and jittery.
See, that's not the effects Kava usually gives. Usually Kava is more sedating, and calming. Like I said its hard to tell with the capsules. Much love. Roaddog....

B

bzfgt

Thanks, Roaddog! Yeah, I wasn't really under the impression I would get anything great with the capsules. I should say I drank kava once years ago, by the way, and it had a calming effect. I forgot that when I initially posted. But, I've changed physiologically since then--back then I could sleep after taking vicodin, too. So it may be the capsules, or me, or kava in general, or some combination. Anyway, I've ordered the micronized stuff from GHK, since after a cursory investigation that seemed a good way to go, and we'll see what it does to me.

Beanie

Kava Enthusiast
Hi im new here too. Yeah I've tried the capsules too, the ones from biovea weren't too bad but since trying the quick kava powder there is no comparison, thats the way to go. I've ordered some instant from GHK. After that I will move onto micronized !! :)

Wigman

Kava Enthusiast
I had effects similar to that when I first started, too. Kava anxiety almost.

Try a more sedating strain and you'll be good to go!