What's new

Grind change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
@Bula Kava House am I imagining things or did melomelo and boroguru get a somewhat finer grind? I'm afraid I drank all my previous stock so I can't compare here.

Thanks.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
You are correct, it is finer. My supplier's sifter that he normally uses in his mill broke. Getting replacement equipment for obscure machinery in a developing island nation is a difficult and long process so he wasn't able to get a new one quickly. Although it isn't super fine like the Fu'u I prefer it a little more coarse than this batch. I was told that my next shipment expected in early February will be back to the way it was.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Thanks Judd, I was scared it was going to be a permanent change since I'm not big on the fine grind.

violet

Do all things with love
Finer it is indeed. No wonder why we've been hearing this new batch is so much more potent. Glad I got one of those nifty lovely Fijian strainer bags this time around. It was so pretty that I squeezed much longer than I usually would, and surely had I been using my usual jelly or paint strainer I'd have lost much of the grind into the grog.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Nope. Still somewhat fine. Might be a while, getting a piece of specific equipment to a small island developing nation is not always an easy task. What we have now is not all that fine though, definitely more coarse than Fu'u, for example. Honestly though, making kava with a finer grind is the same process and may even make a stronger batch because the fibers are more easily saturated. You will likely get more sediment but the difference there is negligible, at least when using the strainer bags we sell.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
No worries, Judd, I understand island time. You may be right about the grind, I was using an older bag and I think it had become so stretched it was letting through rather a lot of sediment. Still please let us know when it changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.